52 January 28, 2010

MiY 4a: Striking Stripes & Polka Dots

MiY 4a: Striking Stripes & Polka Dots

Let’s find some beautiful place to get lost. And then we can come back home and spend the weekend in bed reading newspapers and sipping hot chocolate, OK? Because that’s what I’d want to do if this were my bedroom.

I love the striped bedding, and I’m particularly like the way the chartreuse picks up on (but doesn’t match exactly) the green sheets and sofa. Warm gray paint, linen curtains, and a soft rug add to that never-want-to-leave coziness. I’d introduce polka dots in a pillow on the bed, and again over on the sofa. And then of course we have the same bed, tables, and sconces that will appear in each look of this fourth edition of Making it Yours.

The next installment of MiY will feature a lighter, more colorful look that I’m calling “Feminine Moorish”. Intrigued?

The Glamorous Housewife
    January 28, 2010 at 9:02 am

Very interesting first bedroom. It is slightly more on the masculine side, no? Cant wait to see the next one!

Thanks doll,
    The Glamorous Housewife

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home
    January 28, 2010 at 9:08 am

I am now drooling over those Dwell sheets. Wow-ee.

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home
    January 28, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love this one!! It’s a lot darker and more masculine than I would normally go for, which is exactly why I like it – I love seeing well-designed rooms that take me out of my comfort zone! Yay, I can tell I’m going to really enjoy this series. :)

katie
    January 28, 2010 at 9:36 am

i love this room – almost enough to go and re-paint my light gray/blue bedroom and start over! you picked some great pieces for this series, can’t want to see what you do with them next.

Lemon
    January 28, 2010 at 9:41 am

LOVE it. I want to add more green to my bedroom, now I have lots of ideas. Keep up the fab work!

Cheryl
    January 28, 2010 at 9:50 am

nice selection, calming, yes. Love the studio sofa! I always struggle with wall art over the bed. Marimekko wall hanging? ikea framed set of three? size, proportion? that’s why I have a blank space above our bed! any advice in that department would be greatly appreciated and since I like to change out colors in a bedroom, selecting an interesting piece that goes with everything would be ideal or just don’t spend much to begin with and I”ll feel less guilty about changing the wall art too!

Lisa
    January 28, 2010 at 10:03 am

That gray color on the colors is so rich – I would never have paired that with the sofa but it so WORKS!

Kathleen
    January 28, 2010 at 10:20 am

The walls in my bedroom are Pussywillow – and I’m DYING for that exact Dwell bedding. I think you’ve just about given me the push I need to just invest in them already…

virginia @ where you hang your hat
    January 28, 2010 at 11:03 am

Whoa, I would like to MOVE IN NOW. We’re redecorating our bedroom with a similar palette. Thanks for the ideas!

Erin
    January 28, 2010 at 11:04 am

I really love this one, especially that striped duvet.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog
    January 28, 2010 at 11:07 am

Love the duvet! What a great series; I’m loving the feel of this room and can’t wait to see how you turn things around for the next!

Adventures in Dressmaking
    January 28, 2010 at 11:10 am

I love those accent tables. They seem so versatile… look forward to seeing them in more rooms!

Brigite
    January 28, 2010 at 11:16 am

Me gusta!

Barbara
    January 28, 2010 at 11:34 am

I really, really love your choices, but have to ask – do people really pay that much for sofa’s, beds and such? Just the idea of a $1000 bed makes me insane!! Am I just too woefully thrifty?
    __
    Barbara

Making it Lovely
      January 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Sometimes I choose less expensive items, but I do believe that it’s good to invest in certain key pieces. That’s why I love putting together these MiY boards… to show how an investment in a quality piece (or pieces) of furniture can work through changing tastes and styles.

Asia
      February 1, 2010 at 7:01 am

You spend over a third of your life in a bed (sleeping)! It’s a person’s most used piece of furniture, so why not splurge? Especially since a good night’s sleep is so important?

robin
    January 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

love, love, love. i’ve been admiring those sheets for a while now.

Jules
    January 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Great. Now I must check out Pussywillow in the Sherwin Williams color actualizer. If you don’t hear from me in two weeks, you know why.

adhocmom
    January 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Classy. .
    P

Redlilocks
    January 28, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Ohhh it’s just gorgeous! Amazingly, it’s almost the same exact colour palette I have been considering when I get my velvet olive sofa with the grey and mustard yellow. Now that you’ve helped me visualise it (and quite gorgeously at that), I think I may just have to go for it! :)

Miss B
    January 28, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Oh I love this and YES I AM INTRIGUED!!! I can’t wait to see the femme room:) BTW, I have been eyeballing this mini sofa since it first came out, it’s super cute:)

joslyn
    January 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm

i am intrigued, but i have to say this one is awfully gorgeous.

lana
    January 28, 2010 at 3:53 pm

mmmmm. that rug looks amazing!

xo
    lana

Arriahne
    January 28, 2010 at 4:04 pm

That is beautiful! I so want that duvet set for my bed! Can’t wait to see what else you do.

Bethany
    January 28, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I am totally smitten with this room. In fact, if you don’t mind, I’m going to use all your suggestions. I’m interested…have you sat on the couch? I have an order-online-addiction, and I don’t want to jump the gun if it turns out to be totally uncomfortable.

Making it Lovely
      January 29, 2010 at 9:56 pm

I haven’t sat on it, no. As far as I know, it’s only available through mail order. It’s so cute though, I hope it’s a comfortable as it is good-looking!

jules @the diversion project
    January 28, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Love the tones in this room, the whole collection is beautiful.

Major crush on the rug though!

jules

Tatyana
    January 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Nicole, great design! I have been loving the Dwell bedding ever since I saw Heather Armstrong’s bedroom, one of my favorite bedrooms.
    I’m looking forward to the Feminine Moorish design.

Allison
    January 28, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I’m especially liking all the green! You’ve turned me on to HSN with your past few posts, it’s definitely not as I remember it!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife
    January 28, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I could totally go for that stripe!

Jen at Chicken Fried Sushi
    January 28, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Ah, I love this series already. I’ve been wanting to repaint our bedroom a warm gray but we’re getting it on the market and the realtor advised against so now I’m DYING to repaint our bedroom a warm gray. Just have to wait until we get a new bedroom and I’m going to have to save these ideas…

christa
    January 28, 2010 at 9:12 pm

oh nicole, i love MIY’s!!

cindi
    January 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Simply gorgeous. These shades of green are so delicious.

Sogni e Sorrisi
    January 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

Love the sofa and the side tables!

Pam Kueber
    January 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

Avocado green. Tee hee.

Erica Mulherin - Currently » Floor Prep Phase One: Reality Sinks In. Sort of. :
    January 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

[…] of decorating in my head and should probably do one of those really cool mock-up/mood boards that Making it Lovely and This Young House are so good at. I find them harder to put together than they seem. In the mean […]

Christine
    January 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Love these picks! They’re masculine without being overt. Please the husband as well as the wife! I know my husband hates anything too girly or pretty.

jessica
    January 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I love Love LOVE the duvet! LOVE IT. MUST HAVE IT!

Oh, it’s $280. :(

I will now commence a hunt to find similar fabric so I can make it….because I must have it! :)

Traci Zeller Designs
    January 30, 2010 at 12:47 am

I love it! The color palette is so sophisticated. I can’t wait to see the next installment!

sarah
    January 30, 2010 at 10:04 pm

Hi Nicole,

I think you read my mind. I have an antique quilt for my guestroom that has a really graphic pattern using a lot of horizontal lines and it has really stumped me. Just last week I considered pairing it with the Hable Checker pillow as an accent.
    I love the striped sheets at West Elm too, they’re pretty awesome. I’m racking my brain trying to figure out a place for those without changing the whole bedding situation I’ve got going on now.

Asia
    February 1, 2010 at 7:03 am

I really really love this. I think I’m going to use this as a guide for my own room. But, because my room is so small, I’m going to reupholster a wing-back chair I have instead that fits into the room nicely. I’ve had the same bedroom set since I was 11. I think I deserve an update!

What dresser/chest of drawers would you recommend for a room like this?

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 4b: Feminine Moorish
    February 1, 2010 at 10:15 am

[…] already seen the first look (striking stripes and polka dots) in this fourth edition of Making it Yours, and now we’re on to the second. I love that this […]

Katie Stephenson
    February 1, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I’ll tell you what, I own 3 things made by Hable Construction and they are 3 of my favorite things in the world. Something about those patterns and, well, the construction is just so so right. I concur. :)

cvjn
    February 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm

i am LOVING the MIYs. you have such great taste and put things together so well. it’s very inspirational to me. thanks so much. i plan on stealing many of your ideas!!!

Niki
    February 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I really love this one. Those striped sheets are lovely!

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 4c: Fresh Picked
    February 10, 2010 at 11:33 am

[…] looks. The bed, studio sofa, lighting, and tables are the same as in the first two designs (4a: Striking Stripes and Polka Dots and 4b: Feminine Moorish), and there will be two more looks after this […]

Jess
    February 11, 2010 at 9:23 am

I ordered these sheets/duvet a few days ago. Thanks for extra inspiration! :)

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 4d: Seaside Fair
    February 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

[…] in the first three looks in this edition of Making it Yours (MiY), the bed, tables, lighting, and seating remain […]

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 4e: Subdued
    February 22, 2010 at 10:52 am

[…] it Yours (MiY). This one may be my favorite, though it’s a toss-up because I really liked the first look as […]

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Choosing New Bedding
    May 11, 2010 at 9:05 am

[…] Isn’t this looking a lot like the Striking Stripes and Polka Dots edition of MiY I did not long ago? I loved that one; I’m pretty jazzed about getting to do something […]

caitlin
    May 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Any idea of where someone can get a look-alike of those beautiful Crate & Barrel tables on the cheap? $450 is a little pricey, but I love them next to the green suede sofa which looks just like mine!