40 January 7, 2011

2010 Recap: The Personal

I’ve already done a 2010 recap of the house and the blog, so now let’s get personal. Eleanor grew from a baby to a toddler, and our family has been growing right along with her. Here are some of my favorite personal posts from the past year.

Thunk goes the camera!

I determined that brownies are better with words stenciled in powdered sugar.

We celebrated Eleanor’s first birthday in the spring with lots of love and lots of pink.

I put together a video montage of Eleanor’s first year. It makes me teary. And happy.

On our sixth wedding anniversary, James Julius met up with Brandon and I to photograph our family.

I started thinking about food differently, which led to me losing the baby weight plus an extra twenty pounds.

Of course then I went and got pregnant again. (Welcome back, baby weight!) We’re having a boy this time.

I did pretty well on my 30 Before Thirty list. (And oh yeah, that means I turned thirty!)

And for Halloween, a little craftiness mixed with a store-bought dress added up to Eleanor’s cute Olivia costume.

It was a good year. 2011, you have some big shoes to fill.

Ashley Stenberg
    January 7, 2011 at 1:36 am

This whole post made me all teary, but in a good way! I have an amazing sister/family! Bring it, 2011. <3

Mnemonique
    January 7, 2011 at 2:04 am

So I wish even better 2011 year! And the photos are great! Especially from Eleanor’s birthday party! lovely!!!

Sandy
    January 7, 2011 at 2:49 am

Hi Nicole,

What program do you use to create the videos of Eleanor?

Thanks!

–Sandy

Vonnie
    January 7, 2011 at 3:54 am

I’ve been pretty terrible in keeping up with my blogs over the last few months and I’d totally missed the news of your pregnancy. Congratulations! So pleased for you. I wish you all the very best of luck and love for 2011 x

Funnelcloud Rachel
    January 7, 2011 at 6:32 am

What a great year, Nicole! Love it – the photos, the videos, all of it! Have a wonderful 2011!

Suzanne
    January 7, 2011 at 7:10 am

What a year, indeed! That photo of Eleanor wrinkling her nose like a rabbit is killing me, she’s amazing :)

emily
    January 7, 2011 at 7:48 am

so very lovely, your family is beautiful. i couldn’t accomplish in 5 years what you did in 1! can’t wait to see what is next for the balchs.

Wendy O
    January 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

Awww, sweet post. Loved reading this.

rea
    January 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Congrats on everything, but especially the extra 20 pound loss! Those lifestyle changes will benefit the whole family. But isn’t it frustrating when baby two asks you tto put it all back on? GGrrrrrr. Love your blog.

Tanya
    January 7, 2011 at 10:41 am

Your decorations for Eleanor’s bday bash were so pretty and cheery. I love that you used an elephant teapot as a vase! I have the lime green elephant teapot which I’m going to look at differently now.
    ~Tanya

Katherine
    January 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

Love everything about this post. Wishing you continued happiness in the new year. Hugs and Happy Friday, Katherine

jbhat
    January 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

What a satisfying recap! You really did have/make a good year out of twenty-ten. Here’s to 0’Eleven being just as good or better.

jbhat

Jana
    January 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love the decor for Miss Eleanor’s birthday. Subtle and not over the top, but really cute!

dlb
    January 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I loved the recap! I also loved the music, but am not familiar. Can you tell me the who, what, where of the background music? Have a great day!

Kristín
    January 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm

you are really blessed Nicole! I’m sure 2011 will be just as good, even better :)

Amy
    January 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I love the elephant teapot used for flowers! I just purchased one from Pier 1 and I know what I’m going to do with it now!

emily @ the happy home
    January 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

this is BEYOND adorable. i love visiting your blog!

Emily
    January 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

You may have you coolest little family and home I’ve ever seen! Boys are sooo fun (I have two, Rocky and Roman), good luck!

Anya
    January 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I have a feeling 2011 will be a good one for you too ;)

Marissa P.
    January 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Great post! Cant wait to see what 2011 brings. Also, who sings the song in the video?

Lisa
    January 7, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Oh, your video made me teary too. :) Have to say I LOVE Eleanor’s Halloween costume. Too cute. Also – she is so photogenic!

Colleen
    January 7, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I just recently started reading your blog and your video of Eleanor’s first year made me teary! My youngest of 4 is 20 months and it was the first time seeing a baby made me miss not having any more. Best wishes with #2. Who sings “How Glad I Am”?

wanderluster
    January 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I loved all your recap posts but this one most of all. What a fabulous 2010 you had. Wishing you more of the same this year!

KristineQ
    January 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm

So happy for you. I just love your video of Eleanor’s first year. Well done Mom!! I have a 12 month old that is just the best thing in the world. Hoping for another one, so I can’t wait to see your family grow by one more. Best of luck, keep up the great blog (please).

Alanna
    January 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Nicole, you are so stylish and inspirational! I just love your blog…everything from your awesome interior designs to Eleanor’s “scrunchy face.” All the best to you and your expanding family in 2011!

Stephanie
    January 8, 2011 at 9:12 am

I love the video montage. The part where she crawls to the camera is too cute!

Liz@VioletPosy
    January 9, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Your home looks so happy and inviting. And the video of your daughter is just adorable!

PriscilaPetersDecor
    January 9, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Eleanor is very cute!!
    I’ll turn 30, so I’ve decided to list 30 things to do. I love this idea and I just posted my list on my blog. And, I would love you to check it out when you have a chance.

Betsy
    January 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hi. I LOVE your site…and LOVE your style. Quick question: What software did you use to edit the photo/video montage of your daughter? The montage is just great and is inspiring me to finally do one for my son
    Thanks!

Betsy
    January 9, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Oops. I just saw that you use iMovie. Nevermind. But I *am* glad that I had an excuse to tell you how much I love your site. All best and happy 2011!

Kristen
    January 9, 2011 at 11:26 pm

the photographs of the 3 of you are really something special…right along with that video you made of Eleanor’s first year. Thanks for sharing it all!

Danielle
    January 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Lovely post and photos! How did you make the “boy” arrow? I’m thinking about doing something similar. Thanks for sharing!

paperdollmn
    January 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Great post. I love Eleanor’s Olivia costume. Her “piglet nose” made me giggle!

nic
    January 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’m not even a “baby person” and I smiled non-stop during that video montage. Truly lovely.

Alexi Bullock
    January 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I LOVE THIS POST! The party you threw for your girl was SO SO CUTE! I also collect elephants, where did you get that adorable elephant pitcher? Ah!! So fun!

Beth@Just{Heart}It
    January 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I have been admiring that elephant of yours for a few weeks now, and – SCORE! – just found the exact one at Marshalls for $5. Don’t know if that was a bargain or not, but I’m happy, and plan to fill it with flowers just like you did! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? :-)