Just to Complicate Things Further

I do very much like this Jenny Lind bed.

It’s funny… I first blogged about Jenny Lind style beds a year and a half ago, after choosing Eleanor’s crib. And now without me bringing it up again, a few people are recommending this bed in the comments of my last post.

Jenny Lind Beds
Sunrise Ruffalo’s Home, Marie’s Memphis Apartment

I’m just too parsimonious to buy one. (That sounds better than cheap, right?) Maybe I should just spring for one instead of trying to go with one of these? The other options are good too though, and more affordable.

I’m not good at making decisions lately. Can I just blame it on the whole ‘being seven months pregnant’ thing?

77 Responses to “Just to Complicate Things Further”

1. Kerry December 16, 2010 at 8:11 pm #

We have Jenny Linds from Land of Nod. LOVE them. You can see my twins’ room entry for the AT Small Kids Big Color contest for a pic:

You can’t go wrong with a Jenny Lind bed. Classic style, goes with everything.

2. Kerry December 16, 2010 at 8:13 pm #

Oh, and check out the Land of Nod outlet in Naperville … you can get one of these beds for well below retail. I bought a bunch of furniture from the Jenny Lind collection there, all for at least 1/2 off. (The dresser in the picture was $30). They are meant to look distressed, so the tiny dings are no big deal.

3. Kelley@thehiddenlist.com December 16, 2010 at 8:23 pm #

This is my fav! Perfect for a little girl and will take her into her big girl, early teen years! BUT….so will the others…This is definitely my fav, but you can’t go wrong with any of them.
    I know….that didn’t help much…

4. bianca December 16, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

Someone might have already mentioned this, but kmart carries a Jenny Lind toddler bed for $140 and a twin for $160 in different shades of brown-you’d have to paint it white. That’s where we bought our Jenny. We have yet to paint it white-the brown is growing on me.
    Hope that helps.

5. Monica December 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm #

I was also going to say a quick search showed Kmart selling the head/footboard for $160. I’m not sure how much the quality will differ from the Land of Nod bed but the price sure is a big difference!

6. Cyndia December 17, 2010 at 1:56 am #

I had some reservations yesterday when I saw the two beds you posted pics of for your daughter’s room. I can see the wicker one being great for a pre-teen or teen, but it seems rather fragile for a toddler. The Ikea bed just doesn’t seem substantial enough, and of course you were concerned about the slat problem.
    I really feel the Jenny Lind bed is a perfect choice. Because this is a bed that needs to last for many years, it’s worth it to buy good quality. I would suggest vintage first, if you can find it. Twin Jenny Lind beds are harder to find than the full size ones. You would typically pay $250 and up for a vintage one, and then have to refinish it. If the Land of Nod bed is good quality, I highly recommend buying it. It’s pretty, it’s classic, and it’s going to last through rough and tumble kids’ play.

7. Lorrie December 17, 2010 at 6:48 am #

I rarely comment (always read though!) and had to on this. This bed is so lovely and wonderful for a little girl. I saw the beds from yesterday and while I love how funky the peacock one is, I agree with the previous poster that it would be great for a pre-teen girl. The ikea bed…while I love the look of it, it looks so serious and like it came from an old orphanage.

8. Kristina December 17, 2010 at 11:19 am #

I didn’t read all the comments, but I second the Land of Nod Outlet. I’ve got the Land of Nod Simple Collection….crib x 1, dressers x 2, night stand x 2, and now twin beds x 2 for my girls. They actualy have first run stuff at the outlet. Since you are so close it’ll be easy for you. You can even give them your number and they’ll call you when what you want comes in. Check it out!

9. JR December 17, 2010 at 1:08 pm #

I bought the Jenny Lind twin size from Land of Nod earlier this year. It is a high quality bed (very solid)and ordering/delivery from Land of Nod was painless (Saturday delivery even).

I figure the cost per year will be next to nothing & it’s really good looking.

10. luuve December 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

hahaha i love pregnant women!!!!!

hey you’re 7 months pregnant, someone else totally needs to make this decision…btw…i looooove the jenny bed lol…and im loving it in the reader’s twins room…super cute…

i think im like you Nicole..and im NOT pregnant..i hate having to make a decision i have to stick with…

OOOH JUST HAVE THE HUBBY PICK ONE LOL OR CLOSE YOUR EYES AND PICK LOL…i mean seriously neither would be a bad choice…ha! yeah i know..i didnt help at all… :)

11. emw December 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

First comment ever–just have to say that from reading your blog for months, this bed pick seems the most like your style. I would think they’re on craigslist every once in awhile?

12. Brandi December 17, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

My daughter has the Jenny Lind bed and she loves it! I LOVE the style and the quality is excellent!

13. Janna December 17, 2010 at 10:16 pm #

Have you looked on craigslist for one? I see them often, especially in the antiques section. I’m sure whatever you choose will look amazing!

14. akanerosie December 17, 2010 at 10:38 pm #

love your posts always so much great things to see

15. laura December 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

Favorite by far!

16. Mary December 18, 2010 at 6:41 pm #

I have to admit, this one is my favorite! I love, love, love the peacock headboard though. So, what if you used it as another element in the room? Like, a dresser/chest of drawers topper?

17. Anna December 18, 2010 at 7:24 pm #

I like all your choices, that peacock headboard is really unique. I found an old Jenny lind bed (full size) for my daughter at a yard sale for $30 and painted it gray.
    You can see a picture on my blog http://anna-kiwiintexas.blogspot.com/2010/10/long-time-no-blog.html you’ll have to scroll down to see pics of the bed. I am really happy with the way it turned out, and it has a lot of storage space under it because we used slats and a mattress

18. Andrea December 18, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

I have come across a Jenny Lind bed (toddler size) for a fraction of the price….

19. Wendy December 18, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

You need to contract this out to “My Favorite and My Best” and let her find you one on Craigslist. The girl is good!

20. Nadine December 19, 2010 at 3:22 am #

All the options are beautiful, but the peacock head board is the most special and beautiful.

21. Katie December 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

ooh this bed if my FAV!
    but no matter what you pick – I just know you will make it look stunning!!

good luck with the deciding :)

22. Marilyn December 19, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

You will make the right decision. You always have! My personal favorite? The Jenny Lind bed. It’s a classic!

1. Eleanor’s New Big-Girl Bed | Making it Lovely - April 27, 2011

[...] blame my indecisiveness on being very pregnant with August at the time, but happily it led to my working with Land of Nod [...]