Eleanor's Room

Mid-Century Rocker Chair

Remember the mid-century rocker chair from the fifth edition of my Making it Yours series? I loved it when I wrote about it last year, but we didn’t have a place for it in our home. Until now.

We’re going to be working on Eleanor’s new ‘big girl’ bedroom soon, and Brandon would like us to put a chair in there. I hadn’t thought about it because I assumed we’d just sit on her bed, but the attached guard rails are going to make that difficult, so a chair it is.

At first I thought we could use the Petrie armchair from the adjacent library, but it’s too large. Then I remembered the rocker. “It’s perfect for her room,” I told Brandon. “It’s low to the ground so E can get in and out easily, and she’ll love that it rocks! And it’s cheap (for a chair). I think it’s only $250.” He agreed. Then I went to look for it (and to double check that price), and it was no longer available. Cue the sad trumpet, wah wah.

Then today as I’m browsing the UO site, I notice that it’s back, and in a cute new lime color. Huzzah! It’s $289, a bit more than I had remembered, but still doable.

Come on home, little chair! We have the perfect spot all picked out for you.

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Amy
    March 17, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I have this chair in charcoal and love it so. It still looks new after a year and is oh-so-comfy.

Patti
    March 17, 2011 at 4:37 pm

We had a rocking chair like this when I was very young. I remember the fabric was scratchy :) But I loved how “long” the rocking stride was. Such a timeless piece.

Erin
    March 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Oh, how I wish I had the funds and space for this chair! Great choice! :D

anu
    March 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm

hopefully you got a 10% coupon code from urban in your inbox this morning!

Kris
      March 19, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’ve actually been looking at this chair in the ‘Cardinal’ color and this post pushed me over the edge to order it. :) I can’t find the 10% off coupon code online. Would you mind sharing it?

Cheers!

Meg W.
    March 17, 2011 at 4:47 pm

We have been looking for a rocker/glider for our nursery but everything was WAY over our price range! This might be a wonderful option! Thank you for posting and let us know how you like it. I’d love to know if its comfortable enough for late night feedings and such :)

Sharyn
      March 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I have this chair and it looks great, but be forewarned – it does not rock much. Very limited back n’ forth movement.

Making it Lovely
        March 18, 2011 at 10:50 am

I think that might actually be a good thing in this case, since it’s going in a two-year-old’s room.

Amy
      March 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

It’s quite low to the ground, so I am not sure if I’d recommend for feedings….depending on your height, it might be awkward if you are transferring a sleeping baby from rocker to crib.

Jen @ homeinthecountry
    March 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm

We bought one of these for our nursery, too (we bought a plum one when the old colors were on sale & I had a coupon, so we picked ours up for $170). It’s perfect for a kids room – low enough they can climb on it, but nice for mom & dad, too. I think the cushions are a little hard, but I plan to add some batting to them before I make new (more colorful) cushion covers & I think that will help. It’s such a great chair & I love that it’s stylish & inexpensive… It will be just perfect in your Eleanor’s big girl room!

Kristín
    March 17, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love that chair – would so have bought it if I lived in the states! Lucky you!

I saw on the UO website the other day that they now sell Ilse Jacobsen rain boots, so cool…

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife
    March 17, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Such a classic and fun chair. I cannot wait to see it in her room!

Naomi
    March 17, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Perfect!! I can’t wait to see her big girl room :)

Ana
    March 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

You can probably Find a cheaper (and better made) one on craigslist.

I’m on a boycott from UO and Anthropologie. They steal artist’s designs.

Jessicah
    March 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I love the chair–and I love that you call your Eleanor E, since that’s what we call our Eleanor too. :)

Summer
    March 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Ummmm, pretty darn sure that mid century mod ANYTHING makes me swoon. And these chairs are making me happy.

LOVE!

Cara
    March 18, 2011 at 12:11 am

That’s so weird – I just checked UO today and was so happy to see they added back this chair. Wishlisted, and hope you enjoy it.

Katie Stephenson
    March 18, 2011 at 7:06 am

I have a chair this exact same color in my 2.5 year old girl’s toddler room. Other colors are navy and magenta.

Rebecca @ beautiful square feet
    March 18, 2011 at 9:23 am

Very slick! I love the new colour too! Can’t wait to the beautiful room that you’re gong to create for her!

Beth
    March 18, 2011 at 10:23 am

It amazes me that $300 is cheap for a chair to you. To me, if it’s not under $20, it’s not cheap. We paid less than that for our sofa, which is the most expensive piece of furniture in our house. I LOVE your blog, LOVE your decorating style, but it’s certainly not something I can translate into my own life because your tastes are so expensive. Not trying to be critical (because hey, it’s your money), just honest.

Making it Lovely
      March 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

It’s certainly not bargain thrift/Craigslist cheap, but for a brand new chair it’s a good price. There are certainly deals to be had for those patient and persistent enough to scour CL daily, but I’m OK with paying a little more for something if it saves me time (in looking) and is exactly what I want.

Beth
        March 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Yeah, you’re right. That’s just my opinion. I probably shouldn’t have even said anything. I think I was really basing that comment on the fact that your blog (for me) isn’t as DIY/copy-us friendly as YHL, which I enjoy so much. But I love peeking into your home, too, so I’m glad you blog about it. Like I said, it’s your money. It doesn’t sound like I offended you, but I apologize if I did. I’ll just keep looking for cheaper chairs and enjoying the pictures of yours. :-)

Becky @ Art Photo Wall Decor
    March 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

It is a beautiful chair. I sure don’t like that so-called “lime” color, though.

Micheline
    March 18, 2011 at 11:41 am

Yay! So glad to see that it’s back. I was looking for it about a month ago and was so sad to see it off of the UO site. It’s too bad that the price went up, but I still think it’s a decent deal.

Hilary @ My So-Called Home
    March 18, 2011 at 11:51 am

Love it, can’t wait to see her big girl room all put together. Are you going for the gray or the green?

Nicole
    March 18, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I’ve been dying for such a rocker every since seeing a similar one posted here http://www.aliceindesignland.com/inside-looks/inside-look-kay-loves-vintage/. I would have never thought to check UO…thx!

Norah
    March 18, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I concur with the lowness and nonrockingness. It also took over 4 months to receive AND they release a bunch of new colors like two days after I bought mine.
    However, turns out my baby doesn’t need to be rocked so now my husband uses it for tv and he’s happy. So I will quit complaining now.

Norah
    March 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

PS All complaints aside, it is a well made chair, and I think fitting of its price point. I actually think that (based on the site)Nicole seems to be a perfect blend of thrifty and splurgey. But then again, I have expensiver tastes.

cara
    March 19, 2011 at 12:04 am

oh… that is perfect for a 2 year-old’s room. I think I like the green even better! I also like how you could easily change out the cushions if you know… they get drawn upon with marker, crayon, banana ;) enjoy!

Sarah Jane
    March 19, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’ve looked at this rocker so many times. I just love it. It will be perfect for a little one’s room! Maybe once we get everything moved around we could work one in somewhere too! Can’t wait to see the new addition in your house.

Emily
    March 20, 2011 at 10:45 am

I just received this chair at a baby shower, and I have to say, it’s so cute! I won’t be able to use it for nursing (it is serioulsy 8 inches off the ground and too hard for me to get up and down from), but I’m keeping it anyway because it looks so cute in my living room. Pictures below:

Emily
    March 20, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oh, and my three-year-old seriously loves it and can get in and out of it very easily, so I think Eleanor will too!

Monica
    March 20, 2011 at 9:50 pm

What you clearly don’t realize or have experienced yet as a parent is the finger under a rockingchair drama. Even if your precious angel is smart enough not to put her fingers in danger….it will happen to a “playdate” kid and you will have to deal. Rocking chairs have been made big and ugly now for a very good reason, companies are trying to still allow for them to lull a baby to sleep in the nursery but not be leathal on the fingers.
    Rocking chirs are dangerous and you are a new mother who hopefully will listen to one with experience and believe me when i say they do not belong in a babys room or playroom.

Making it Lovely
      March 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

I think we’ll be OK — I had a rocking chair in my room as a girl and I really loved it. No problems with fingers – or cat’s tails either. Thanks for your concern and advice though.

Down Comforter
    March 21, 2011 at 9:08 am

that rocking chair looks super comfy- wouldn’t mind trying taht out right about now!

Jessica
    March 21, 2011 at 10:26 am

Oooh, I may need this for our wee girl’s room, too! *swoon*

BTW, I grew up with a rocking chair and no one lost fingers.

Sara*
    March 23, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Nicole, I have that rocker in grey and got it to rock my little one. The only problem is that it’s not a smooth rock, it’s sort of segmented if that makes sense. Also, it’s pretty low to the ground so my 6’5″ husband has trouble. I do love it and we get tons of compliments… and no one believes us when we say it’s from UO. Good luck!

Johanna
    March 23, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I saw that they had just added it back as well. I was really in love with the teal blue color they had. I hope they bring that one back as well.

ohbrooke
    March 26, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I have an original… my mom rocked all seven babies in it (I’m #7 so somehow I scored it…) Now I’m rocking my baby in it. LOVE it.
    Oh, and it needed a serious makeover since the 1960’s. I hooked it up here: http://ohbrooke.com/2010/02/19/rocking-chair-before-and-after/

Liz
    October 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I also have an original of this chair and I love it. It was passedto us from my husbands grandfather when he passed away. This is my favorite chair in the house. It’s really worn though, the leather straps for the seat are wearing out, and the cushions need replaced, but the body of the chair is really sturdy.
    It is actually that same green color which is how I found your site because I was looking for similar rockers to see about refurbishing mine.
    I hope the new ones are as good as the old ones. It’s a great chair.

Rosemary Fecteau
    November 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

Not to take over this thread, but I’m looking for the best classic curtains gallery and I can’t figure out who is good and who is not. Do you have any feedback you can share about this curtains store? It’s located in Paramus, 20 min from my apartment, but I haven’t been able to find reviews on them. – Marburn Curtains, 443 New Jersey 17, Paramus,NJ 07652, (201)265-4232