Thinking of Making Some Changes

Do you ever feel like this?

Just before we went on holiday I found out that I had it all wrong with the interior of my home. I needed to change it but it felt so much time and effort wasted, I almost felt guilty to all the hard work we had put into it. But I decided after a big swallow that I needed to make things right…

Yvonee has been working on making changes that will make her happy. Can you relate?

Painting the trim is helping in my case. With each room that I finish, I’m more certain that it was the right decision for me. The second floor and the basement are done. Brandon’s office already had white trim when we moved in, and I’ve added the kitchen, dining room, and my office. Soon I’ll tackle the living room and front entry, and the painted trim project will be complete.

Brandon and I have no plans to move right now. The house is always changing in little ways, but I do miss the flurry of new decorating that takes place when you first move into a home. I’ve been thinking about that more and more lately, and I’m coming around to the idea of making some changes. Someone wants to buy my orange Astrid chair, and I’m thinking about selling it and getting this one to replace it. I still think about finding new chairs for the dining room too.

What if I treat this house like I would if we had just moved in?

The color palette of my home has a lot of muted color. Maybe it’s time to go a little more bold? More bright? (I say as I sit in my newly painted muted green/blue/gray office.) I know I mentioned recently that I feel like I need to shake things up a little, and Brandon’s on board too. What do you think?

68 Responses to “Thinking of Making Some Changes”

1. kelly July 19, 2011 at 7:55 am #

I think its only healthy to crave change. As people we are ever evolving, and its insane to think that what reflected our style and needs at one point in our lives will continue to do so as our lives themselves change. I personally think that it is absurdly hard to resist that desire when design happens to be a key element of your career and life. When we spend a significant amount of time immersing ourselves in all the beautiful ways that others have and are interpreting interiors–its hard to resist that urge not to want to reinterpret those ideas and concepts ourselves. I say, embrace the desire to do something different and let your style evolve into its next phase!

2. itziar July 19, 2011 at 8:39 am #

It is great to have a plan always in your mind, I have living in my home for 4 years and we are thinking about changing the chairs of the dinning room, the color of the front wall of this room and redecorating one the bathrooms… And as we will live here for some more years, sometimes we call to ask for apartments we see on sale, apartments out of our options! But we dream about living on them…

3. jamie July 19, 2011 at 11:55 am #

I just got married and my husband moved into my house… so I have also considered treating my house as if it were a “new” house to us but it just seems so daunting! Good luck to you in your quest to freshen things up – although I think your house looks amazing already. :)

4. Megan @ Are We Wed Yet July 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

This is exactly how I feel right now!!! I’m right in the middle of revamping our apartment and it feels like I’m taking forever just because I’ve already done this once. I feel a smidge guilty for the time wasted but I know the improvments are going to be so worth it. So, I push on! :D

5. It’s always nice to give a home a good face lift every so often =)

- Sarah

6. jen July 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Went home the other night and got my new issue of Real Simple out of the mailbox. You may want to check it out – the letter from the editor is about ‘chromophobia’:) I don’t think that’s exactly what you’ve got but this issue is sure full of color!

7. I think changing up a room or home is a great idea. It can never hurt, and I think simply just painting the trim is a great place to start. Good luck!

8. Heather July 22, 2011 at 11:41 pm #

I took a few days to post but this has been in my mind mulling it over as I often feel the same way about craving change in my surroundings. And I do think if you’re sort of hitting your 30s especially and have moved every few years in your 20s, it can be hard when you find yourself staying in a home and settling down with a family. I think a huge part thought too may be the family – kids are awesome, mine have just turned 5 and 3 but they come with all this constant consumption and repetition – you cook, it’s eaten, you clean, the toys reappear, etc. – and often making changes around the house or sewing, knitting, whatever becomes this lifeline because the end product is not instantly consumed. You actually have something to show for your time besides the two growing little angels at your feet. I find myself though sometimes feeling dissatisfied with home or making a sewing to-do list a mile long when it’s really the tedium of some days that I should really be focusing on changing or improving or myself for that matter (there are more than a few pounds of baby weight still left to lose all these years later). So, for what it’s worth, I think you should change up whatever you like in your space to make it comfortable to you but pause for a moment at least to make sure those changes are the ones you really want to be making. Or is it finding new ways to adjust to this new phase of life and motherhood. Honestly, I wish I had spent a little less effort and money on home improvement and a little more energy on me and the kids and improving our quality of life.

9. Kirsten July 25, 2011 at 4:41 pm #

My mom has lived in a house with all-white walls for 10 years. This summer she finally had the living room, dining room, bedroom, and two bathrooms painted in pretty bold colors. She is positively giddy about it. A couple times I’ve caught her accidentally calling it “her new house.” Change is good! :)

10. Vivian Rippy May 7, 2012 at 11:23 am #

So glad I stumbled on your site!!! The wood in your home looks a lot like mine!! I have stripped a builtin hutch in my dining room and the fireplace in the living room. All the wood is different in every room and I have been scared of comminting the ultimate “sin” by painting it. Thanks for your inpiration!!

1. Changes in the Living Room | Making it Lovely - September 28, 2011

[...] room had stayed fairly consistent over the last five years. I still like the room, but I had been feeling the need to shake things up a bit. So I’ve been making some [...]