Eleanor's Room Press

Eleanor’s Bizarro World Room

The Land of Nod was so into the bedroom I designed for Eleanor (which they helped furnish) that they recreated the look for their new catalog. It’s on page 61.

Our copy arrived today, and I showed it to Eleanor. “Does this look like your room?” I asked her. She looked at it, then started pointing at toys and asking to play with them upstairs. The girl really wants her mercury glass mushrooms and toy calliope, please.

Here’s Eleanor’s room, for reference.

Quite the resemblance, right? (Although, now that I think about it… they’re based in Chicago. I’m in Chicago. Dudes, why didn’t you just shoot here?)

Anyway, thanks team Nod! It was neat to see the Bizarro World version in the catalog.

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Sarah
    February 2, 2012 at 4:55 am

Uh, actually….yours is SOOOOO much better! And I agree…they should’ve just used your actual room. Those curtains and wall color totally make the room!

Brianna
    February 2, 2012 at 6:34 am

I love her curtains!

nome
    February 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

That is an odd coincidence… aren’t you a tad annoyed?

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

No, it may be hard to see in the photo, but they gave me credit as the inspiration. (“Isn’t it lovely?”) They told me in advance that they were putting it together for the catalog, plus they’re a nice company and they’ve always been great to work with.

Amanda
    February 2, 2012 at 7:53 am

This is actually hilarious! It must have been really surreal to see the catalogue page. Anyway, love Eleanor’s room, you did a great job!

Lindsey
    February 2, 2012 at 7:54 am

Haha, I love that she wanted the accessories in the magazine…you’ve got another designer on your hands.

LisaInIllinois
    February 2, 2012 at 7:56 am

At least they gave you a ‘nod’ as reference…but I agree, I like your actualy room better!!

Kristin | Snip&Scribble
    February 2, 2012 at 8:14 am

LOVE E’s room, it’s so cheerful and inspirational! I do have to agree with many of the people commenting so far… love those curtains! It seems like a nice bright/bold print will up the fun in any room.

Thanks for the pretty-ness :)

LaDonna
    February 2, 2012 at 8:17 am

I like the shades of pink in your room better, especially the paint color.

Amber
    February 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

I was looking through my Land of Nod of catalog and saw that little bubble about your site. Congrats! What a fun memory.

Jill
    February 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

That is SO cool! And must be surreal. But, I like yours better… :) (The curtains! The ceiling light! It seems a bit warmer.) I do agree with Eleanor though, I do really like those mushrooms.

emily @ go haus go
    February 2, 2012 at 9:15 am

I like yours better! But only if they would have used Eleanor as the model! No kid’s room is complete without an actual kid!

April
    February 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

I saw this just the other day, it looks Awesome, relaxing & clean!
    You must be proud of her space.

Jenna
    February 2, 2012 at 9:24 am

Wow! How cool is that! Both rooms are really beautiful.

Heidi S.
    February 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

That is so funny! I did a double take when I saw the catalog yesterday but saw that the accessories weren’t quite right! My daughter (almost 3) then promptly took the catalog and sat there and picked out all of the things she wanted. :)

Jessika
    February 2, 2012 at 10:21 am

Where did they find those CUTE mercury glass mushrooms? Love them! Can’t find them though…

Elena
    February 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Love the Seinfeld reference!

Christina
    February 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

So cool! A fun thing to save for her when she’s older. I think her room is far warmer. Just shows staging and designing are two different trades.

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

I think I could learn a few lessons from their staging though!

Elizabeth
    February 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

Why would she be annoyed? They found her room so inspirational that they copied it! They also gave her some of the furniture in her room. If a company wanted to do that for me I would have no problem!

Kathryn Humphreys
    February 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

Of course she does, I want her mercury glass mushrooms and toy calliope. They look super sturdy. And a little sisterly jab with that piece of coral will be excellent for gently reminding August not to touch her things:)

Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet
    February 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

How flattering! Of course, that room couldn’t be any cuter to begin with :-)

Natalie Kilgore
    February 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

It is perfect, Nicole! You did a great job — congrats on the “nod” from Land of Nod! So cool! And I think I’d like those bookshelves for myself, really.

Amanda
    February 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

Honestly, I love your (Eleanor’s) room better. It’s more cozy, and the curtains and wall colour really make it. :)

Erika
    February 2, 2012 at 11:16 am

Both spaces are really nice, but I love seeing the train set up in Eleanor’s space. My Little Guy LOVES, correction, is OBSESSED with trains and we have quite the set up in his playroom. We debated getting one of those cool tables like Eleanor has because of space issues. We were not sure where to put it and figured he could make bigger arrangements without it. Seeing the set up in the pic above made me realize how nice it must be to have it contained- at ALL times. ;o)

Oh well, you live you learn, right?

Erika

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2012 at 11:45 am

It’s really nice to have them contained to one area. The train track is nearly a permanent fixture! We take it apart sometimes so we could play with other toys on the table, or to rearrange it, but Eleanor LOVES having the train setup in her room. She says good night to them in a Sir Topham Hat voice!

Katrina
    February 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

I love both rooms, but I adore the one your did for your daughter more!!! They should just hire you to help design kids rooms :)

Katrina
    February 2, 2012 at 11:24 am

ps – love the new look :)

lea
    February 2, 2012 at 11:28 am

Wow, it’s the same room! She’s one lucky girl.

janet
    February 2, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hi Nicole. Not sure if you’ll see this, but your website looks…weird? Any suggestions for me? Do I need to update something? I realize this is vague. It looks like more of a mobile site, if that helps.

janet
      February 2, 2012 at 11:35 am

Okay, never mind. It’s fine now? Also. I love it!

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

The site must have been displaying the “minimal” theme for you instead of the “lovely” theme by default. You can switch between the two at the top right!

janet
        February 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for the reply but oh my, I don’t want you to think I called the “minimal” theme weird. Haha. It was displaying something completely different than that. But all is well now. And just so you know, I actually love both themes! It will be fun to change up every now and then.

christine
    February 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

Both rooms are cute but yours definitely has more personality! Any idea where the toy calliope is from?

Making it Lovely
      February 2, 2012 at 11:40 am

It looks vintage. Try eBay, but search for “toy circus wagon” or something similar — most aren’t listed as a calliope.

(Eleanor wants that thing in the worst way.)

christine
        February 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks! My niece’s name is Calliope and I’m always searching for one for her. This one is super cute.

jbhat
    February 2, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I adore Land of Nod. I adore that they adore you! We are lucky to have a shop here in Seattle.

Maybe it’s the lighting or something, but I also like Eleanor’s room better too when they are side by side like that. Or maybe I’m just biased. :)

jbhat

Melissa
    February 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Love it!! So fun!! Love the new blog revamp…like seriously LOVE IT!!

Kelley
    February 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I got to this page in the catalogue and immediately thought: “Hmm.. that room looks really familiar” and after an embarassingly long couple of minutes trying to figure out where I’d seen this room before, I finally saw that little credit bubble located so obviously in the middle of the page. Ha.

cristen
    February 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Got the mag at the start of the week and the moment I saw that page I knew it was based off her room. Then I read what was on the page and saw it was for real! That is so exciting!

Savannah
    February 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I saw that and thought for a minute that it was her room!….How cool!!

Justine
    February 2, 2012 at 1:58 pm

How awesome! But can I say I like yours better? The drapes are so key, and your pinks are warmer (at least in the photograph.)

carla
    February 2, 2012 at 2:00 pm

i knew it!!! i got the catalog the other day and was like, hmmmm that’s awful familiar! thanks for making me feel a little less insane :)

Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful
    February 2, 2012 at 2:07 pm

They have their wholesale “store” in Northbrook (aka a section of the warehouse) – I totally scored there but it is hit or miss. It really is close, why didn’t they shoot at your house? I want those ‘shrooms too! Darn it Land of Nod!

Molly the Waffler
    February 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I noticed the resemblance when I was leafing through the catalog a few days ago — very cool. I also noticed that Land of Nod is taking a page out of the pouf book and offering Moroccan style ones. I wonder if they’re well made…

Miss B.
    February 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm

This is so darn cool! I agree, I want those mushrooms as well. lol.

Jesse
    February 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love the room! I’m so curious, HOW does the table adjust??? I tried to figure it out…..

jill
    February 2, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Actually I much prefer yours. It looks like a real kids room. Their’s looks pretty staid and a little bit gloomy.

Kathy
    February 2, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Nicole, You should be super proud that such a respectable and established company wanted to copy little ol’ you! That is really awesome! Oh, and so cute that Eleanor says goodnight to her train in her Sir Topham Hatt voice!

holly
    February 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm

where is the land of nod picture? all i see is elenor’s real room.

Erin
    February 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm

LOVE Land of Nod… but you did it much better! :)

allyse
    February 2, 2012 at 5:37 pm

are you happy with the jenny lind bed? i am about to order it…

Elma Riedstra
    February 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh I LOVE the land of nod!!! Love your curtians!!! Did you make them??

cvjn
    February 2, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Ha! I totally noticed that because all the useful information in my brain has been displaced by the things I see and read in blogland.

Anyway, Land of Nod has always had nice, solid offerings, but the latest catalog is REALLY bringing it! The offerings and styling were both top notch, and I have a long, long wish list now. New giveaway, please?!

Audrey
    February 3, 2012 at 7:50 am

wow, what a compliment! you must be grinning from ear to ear. :)

Mika
    February 3, 2012 at 8:32 am

Ha! Your’s is better.. they really should have shot at your place! The best thing about being copied is when it isn’t quite as good as your own… good job girl!

susan
    February 3, 2012 at 8:34 am

I like yours better, it’s warmer. The one in the catalog seems a little cold to me.

Glade
    February 3, 2012 at 11:43 am

Your photo looks more beautiful! You should have just done their photography :)

Miggy
    February 3, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Um I NEED to know where you got those drapes/curtains?

Like, need.

sarahsuemagoo
    February 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm

My bedroom is almost the same color pink :) with a yellow bed. I can’t believe I convinced my husband of either of those ideas.

kristin
    February 4, 2012 at 12:24 am

Omigosh this is so funny! I like yours better (sorry land of nod)! :)

Arezooo
    February 5, 2012 at 4:49 am

Yours is absolutely better:)

Charlene@APinchofJoy
    February 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

How cool to have YOUR bedroom featured in their catalog! But really! Mercury glass in a kids room! And, as much punch as that low hanging chandelier adds — two seconds and the adventurous are literally swinging from the chandelier. Those pink poufs are fun — but still like your version best!

Vidya @ Whats Ur Home Story
    February 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

Loooooooooooove your version of the room. Those curtains are gorgoeus. already pinned it. Came across your blog from Savedbysuzy.blogspot.com.

Shelly
    February 29, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yes, I too must know where you bought those drapes!! How fun and cheerful are those!

Holly
    March 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

What color are the lovely walls in your daughter’s room? I love what you did- gorgeous!!

Jackie
    September 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I like your version of the room more! Where did you get those curtains? I love them!

Making it Lovely
      September 11, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Thanks! I made those myself. The fabric is no longer available, but it was “mom’s couch” by Moda.

Eleanor’s Room (Let’s Call This “The Before”) | Making it Lovely
    September 11, 2013 at 1:42 pm

[…] Same dresser that I painted pink, and her rocking chair is back too. There wasn’t room for her two wooden bookshelves or the play table, but those will be put to good use […]