I enjoy working with clients so much, but am having a hard time figuring out how to meld my work with individuals and my desire to share design details here with all of you. I know I’d be upset if I were hiring someone to create something one-of-a-kind for me who then turned around and gave it all away for free to the world. It’s something I’ve seen others struggle with too, and I’m not sure there’s any single right answer.
This design came about as I was thinking about a family room that I’m working on for someone, but in a different style and color palette and without some of the real-life limitations we’re working with. (It’s a tricky space, hence my being brought in to help.) Another difference is that I always specify retail for the blog rather than including custom or trade-only sources that not everyone has access to. So maybe this kind of approach is a possibility moving forward? A fictional design loosely inspired by something I’m actually working on? Either way, it was a lot of fun to pull together.
I also want so much of this for my own home. Imagine this in our snug!
- Brera Floor Lamp (Tortona Bronze), Troy Lighting; Bellacor
I appreciate that this lamp has ‘sculpture by Delia Deetz’ vibes.
- Wirth Chair, Jayson Home
It can go inside! It can go outside (in a sheltered spot)! Nice curves!
- Cotton Knit Throw (Pink Stone), West Elm
I’m not presenting pink for my client, but for myself it would be the way to go. I can be predictable like that sometimes.
- Echo Wallpaper (Ash), Kelly Ventura
I realized after looking at the pattern for some time that it reminded me of mascara swipes, and I’m into it.
- Coffered Inlay Trays, Jayson Home
Fancy-ish decor things like this are a luxe touch. I have a similarly made box on my bedside table (in lieu of a drawer).
- Full Moon Clay Vase and Merriman Black Vase, Leanne Ford Design for Crate & Barrel
How many vases can one have in a home? Might we need another one or two?
- Southern June Framed Print, McGee & Co.
Traditional and lovely.
- Glasgow Metal Media Stand, Project 62; Target
I’m picturing two or three of these lined up along a wall with a TV above.
- Embroidered Floral Pillow, Opalhouse; Target
A cute pillow, nicely priced.
- Mohair Pillow (Camel), Room & Board
I have one of these mohair pillows in a different color and it holds up beautifully. Like velvet, but better.
- Edwin Hand Sconce, Ballard Designs
Hand sconces! I do wish these came in a left and right hand, but hey. Still wonderful.
- Masson Stone Accent Stool, Frontgate
The coordinating Wyatt Stone Accent Stool is fantastic too, just a smidge taller.
- Oakmont Hand-Knotted Rug, Serena & Lily
This beautiful hand-knotted wool rug will last and last.
- Celsa Sofa (Blossom Pink and Oak), Article
Pink sofa! Pink sofa! Boy, do I want a pink sofa.
- Montana Live Edge Coffee Table, Crate & Barrel
The little preview image here isn’t doing it justice. A simple form made more interesting with the live edge.