28 June 14, 2007

The Front Porch

I’ve never had an outdoor space before, and of course that means I didnt have any outdoor furniture either. Well, except for this wicker chair which I bought years ago for some reason:

front porch

I love that this house has a front porch because I love the idea of sitting out there for lunch, or sipping lemonade and reading magazines… it seems like such a lovely thing to do. First we would need a table and some chairs though.

I went to IKEA (one of many, many excursions by now) to look for a table. I picked up two of the drop-leaf Muddus tables. They’re nice because they’re: a.) red b.) cute c.) flexible d.) did I mention they were red and cute?

I waited for chairs because I buy way too many things at IKEA and I thought that maybe I could find some cute vintage wire chairs. Yeah. Except in the summer, everyone else is looking for cute vintage wire chairs, and the prices are adjusted accordingly. Back to IKEA I went, and I bought four white folding chairs (they were with the outdoor stuff, so they should be OK outside).

front porch

The two tables seemed kind of like they were just slapped together (um, not that they were or anything…), so I picked up a little table runner to unify them. Then I got a little kooky.

You know those big tissue paper fluff balls everyone’s been making? I kept seeing them in people’s flickr photos, so I picked up a kit (they’re by Martha Stewart for Michael’s). I thought I’d hang them over the bed, but then I thought they’d look sooo good outside. Maybe my neighbors will not agree. I may take them down.

front porch

I hung a few paper lanterns out there too, and the space is so pretty at night.

the front porch

And you know what? It IS nice to sit out there for lunch, or to read magazines… or sometimes both! I know – CRAZY, right? I’m living la vida loca, for sure.

Jessica
    June 14, 2007 at 10:42 am

I love, love, love this!

Valerie
    June 14, 2007 at 12:27 pm

ohhhh! so nice and fresh! Did you say you can buy those fluffy flowery balls? May I ask where you find those? :)

Nicole
    June 14, 2007 at 1:12 pm

The big fluff balls are from a kit by Martha Stewart. They’re available at Michael’s craft stores, but there are instructions for making them at Martha’s site too: Pom-Poms

Mandy
    June 14, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Love your porch…the furniture is adorable and I would so leave up the fluff balls…they are so fun! We have a similar front porch and I am always on our swing reading magazines. :)

Leah
    June 14, 2007 at 7:25 pm

It looks awesome!

I’m not a crafty person at ALL, but I may have to try those fluff balls …

Leah

blushing apples
    June 14, 2007 at 10:51 pm

no, dont take them out! i love them outside! sooo pretty :D

Anonymous
    June 15, 2007 at 7:24 am

where did you get the super cute white planters?? maybe you said and i missed it….i’ve been looking for some clean, modern planters like that and have come up empty handed!

Nicole
    June 15, 2007 at 7:29 am

The planters were from CB2. They were pretty inexpensive ($10 for the small and $15 for the large).

I’m glad everyone is liking the fluff balls! I still worry that the neighbors may not be too happy to see them up there. ;)

Peggy
    June 15, 2007 at 9:16 am

So cute! I love the idea of using the table runner to unify the tables. I might steal that idea. I love the funky water can, the gnome and the lanterns. I really, really love the planters and may also steal that idea. I had been looking at architectural vessels that were horribly priced!

Sorry, honey, I don’t really like the fluff balls. I think I would like them somewhere else. However, maybe they look really cute at night. Whenever I decorate, I go over the top and then edit out about half (which I think I mentioned in regard to your dining room cabinet). These would definitely be edited during final polish. Great creativity, but creativity needs to be tempered with a teensy bit of restraint. Not easy for a creative type as you know.

It’s kinda like painting, I feel like sometimes I need someone to pull me away from a canvas when it is done. I have overdone canvases before. So think of yourself as a painter and I am pulling you away because you are done. Edit those. I’m sure you’ll find somewhere else for them. Or they may be appropriate for a special occasion.

Are those lanterns paper? I would move those to where the puff balls are. Where they are right now, they will get damaged by wind or rain.

casapinka
    June 15, 2007 at 11:30 am

I love that wicker chair so much. The puff balls are lots of fun – if you love ’em then keep ’em.

casacaudill
    June 18, 2007 at 7:05 am

It all looks great! I’ve been thinking that we need to do something with our front porch as well, but I haven’t really had a vision for how I want it to all look when I’m done, so I do nothing.

becoming-home
    June 18, 2007 at 7:18 am

I love everything about this!!

I hear you about not being able to find good porch/patio furniture during the summer. Even our local ikea is TOTALLY sold out of outdoor stuff!

Alicia
    June 18, 2007 at 1:29 pm

oh! I am so jealous of your porch. I love it all!

Your Mom
    June 18, 2007 at 6:42 pm

Nicole;
    I love the front porch and the little fluff balls are very cute!
    Love,
    Mom

Jessica
    June 19, 2007 at 11:38 am

oh, your porch looks so lovely! I was thinking of getting the same red table for my patio. I am in love with the red & white.

greengelato
    June 20, 2007 at 11:52 pm

if you hairspray your pom poms, they will hold shape longer. :)

i hosted a bridal shower recently and we made these pom poms, too (pics in blog).

Liz
    June 21, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Oh no! Dont take the pom poms down… they look great! The whole place looks fantastic.

Lynne-
    June 21, 2007 at 7:42 pm

A drink in hand and this would be a hard place to leave! Great job. Also wanted to let you know I tagged you on my blog (check it out for what that means). I hope you don’t mind. Have a great day.

katiedid
    June 22, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I saw the picture of your porch somwhere else recently! I love the puffs. You MUST keep them!

Linda
    June 28, 2007 at 9:48 pm

I love the fluff balls and plan on making some myself. I don’t think they’re right with the round paper lanterns, though.

So, as for durability — how about making them out of plastic grocery bags? Couldn’t get the pretty pinks then… hm. But wait, aren’t there dyes for plastic?

Freck
    February 5, 2009 at 1:55 pm

You have so much talent! I love this! I look forward to following your blog! :)

Carey
    March 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I love this! The combination of red and white is so fresh and comfy.
    I cannot wait for spring so I can revitalize my little porch area. This past week’s sunny weather has me ready.

Sara
    October 2, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Found your site through YHL and I really like your site too! I love your porch, and I’m not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I guess the only thing I would be afraid about is if it rains—those tissue paper balls will not be a fun thing to deal with. Just something to keep in mind I guess. As for the neighbors possibly not liking them—um, when do they get a say in how you decorate your house? It’s not like you have a beat up couch and an almond colored oven from 1975 with the door hanging off sitting out there ;) HAHA I think you’ll be just fine! If I was your neighbor I’d be coming over to tell you I love them!

lylah ledner
    October 10, 2009 at 11:43 am

Adorable. Simply Sweet. Indeed, you have made it lovely! I’ve got your blog on my blog roll list and I’m delighted to do so!

ashlina
    December 20, 2009 at 10:57 pm

absolutely fabulous!

xo

Mylinh
    March 8, 2010 at 3:02 am

This looks great!
    Makes me want to go to Ikea (again!)

tamra
    March 11, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I agree…the puffballs are adorable. Life is simply too short to not surround yourself with things that make you smile!

Suzanne Fortescue
    June 10, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I also live in a house that is over 100 years old and it is a challenge to keep it fresh looking and of this century. I like your bold design moves. It takes courage to bring modern into old and you are doing it well. Thanks for the inspiration as always.