How to Make a Patterned Vase

The Finished Patterned Vase

I came up with the idea for this little vase after talking to my friend Amy. She wanted a vase like this simple glass one from IKEA, but in white. One could spray paint a vase from the inside, but Amy doesn’t really have a good space to do a spray painting project (and it’s winter in Chicagoland, so no going outside).

I thought a good alternative would be to line a vase with paper. Then you could switch it out with different colors or patterns whenever you want to! I decided to try it out myself, and I put together a little ‘how-to’.

You’ll need a simple, straight-sided vase. If you plan on putting fresh flowers inside, you’ll need a smaller vase or container to fit inside and hold the water (I used a little flower pot). You’ll also need a large sheet of paper, scissors, a pencil, and some tape.

Materials for a Patterned Vase

My flower pot only went about halfway down, so I trimmed my tulips to a length that would look good when they were set inside the larger vase.

Checking for Fit

I set the vase on its side, and rolled it along the paper, tracing the top and bottom arc with a pencil. Then I cut out the shape while Violet watched. :)

Tracing the Vase

Cut Out the Shape

I set the paper inside the vase to check for fit. It was a little tall, so I just traced around the top with a pencil and then trimmed it down.

After Trimming

I set the smaller container inside, and that’s it! A simple, quick project.

The Finished Patterned Vase

29 Responses to “How to Make a Patterned Vase”

1. nomadmama January 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm #

what a great idea! i hope to try it some time soon. i love your blog by the way. i find all your design ideas really inspiring!

2. Donna Vitan January 12, 2008 at 10:43 pm #

This is definitely a great idea that is well executed. This couldn’t be anymore simple or easy when you want to change the look to match anything else in the home!

This will also work when you can’t find that vase in the right colour! Can you imagine this with printing your own pattern or design?

3. Kirsten January 12, 2008 at 11:59 pm #

Great idea – simple, pretty, fun, easy to repeat. Thank you! Unfortunately, I’ll have to add a step — closing a door to keep out my cat, Milosz. Unlike your sweet girl, he isn’t satisfied with JUST watching any paper craft, he wants to really contribute and add the special touches (kitty fur, little punctures from his claws) that are his signature craft techniques.

4. nadine January 13, 2008 at 12:23 am #

the paper you used is really pretty!

5. Elissa January 13, 2008 at 3:45 am #

Awwww, your kitty is so cute! And that’s a good idea for the vase too. :)

6. The Mellowist January 13, 2008 at 7:04 am #

That’s such a great idea! I love how easy it is to execute and how you can keep changing the design to suit your mood :) Love your blog, it’s always inspirational to drop by and see the wonderful stuff you’ve come up with for your home :)

7. Nicole January 13, 2008 at 7:09 am #

Perfect, I just wish the floppy kitty came with it. My dogs (5) have to be banished to a “safe” zone for me to do projects like that.

Thanks for sharing your life, I love to get ideas from you.

8. amy purple January 13, 2008 at 8:44 am #

Thanks so much for putting this together and for the suggestion, Nicole! I like that you had a little helper too. :)

9. electric boogaloo January 13, 2008 at 10:54 am #

I have a small helper named Violet too. Mine is a little less hairy.

10. sarah January 13, 2008 at 1:26 pm #

great idea! i like that it allows for changing it up as often as i want. :)

11. Kelly January 13, 2008 at 9:24 pm #

beautiful vase! can you tell me where the window coverings are from? thanks!

12. Making it Lovely January 13, 2008 at 10:34 pm #

Thanks, everyone! I’m glad you like the project.

Kelly, the shades in the dining room were from west elm. I made the curtains in my studio out of fabric from Moda’s “Uptown” line (now out of print).

13. pozzynette January 14, 2008 at 2:17 am #

It’s a great idea !!!!

14. Robin January 14, 2008 at 4:05 am #

This is a great idea – what a wonderful way to bring some color to the vase! I love the paper too!

15. drey January 14, 2008 at 7:30 am #

also works if you have two graduating vases/tumblers :) you can even put little… jellybeans/sweets in the larger one for some texture :P

ala martha stewart, if memory serves me right!

16. Sues is not Martha January 14, 2008 at 11:04 am #

You are SO talented. I love it.

And this is totally an awesome Mother’s Day gift :) :) Can’t wait!

17. Marilyn January 14, 2008 at 1:36 pm #

This is a LOVELY idea! And I was just looking at some glass vases this weekend too!! I should have picked one up.

18. Sean January 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm #

That’s a great idea! Easy style is the best. If you’re going to change out the paper often, trace it out on heavy stock so you have a template. Thanks.

19. Megs January 16, 2008 at 3:56 pm #

I am so jealous of your craftiness. What a GREAT idea!!!

20. Shauntelle January 16, 2008 at 9:51 pm #

Oh what a lovely idea! If you don’t mind, I think I’m going to link to it in my next post.

21. Making it Lovely January 17, 2008 at 3:30 pm #

Sean, making a template is a good idea!

22. Mary January 28, 2008 at 8:57 am #

This is so easy! Love it. I also love the cat. Especially that last photo…she’s all rolling around in the chair haha ;) Cats are great “helpers” , huh? :)

23. Alison February 17, 2008 at 2:41 pm #

I love your blog! Is your white table from Ikea?

24. Zirah March 23, 2008 at 7:54 am #

This is a great idea. I did something similar for the centerpieces at my wedding this January… clear cylinders and silver/white stripped wrapping paper. I love design and a budget!

-Z

1. Making it Lovely » Blog Archive » New Dining Room Table - January 21, 2008

[…] alluded to our new table earlier this month, and my patterned vase was photographed on it, but I hadn’t taken any proper pictures until this […]

2. 50 Handmade Gift Ideas - April 22, 2009

[…] 33. How To Make A Patterned Vase […]

3. Crafters Medley: 28 Neat-O Projects To Make (January) | TipWild - May 25, 2009

[…] How to Make a Patterned Vase: If you plan on putting fresh flowers inside, you’ll need a smaller vase or container to fit inside and hold the water. […]

4. Dabbled » Blog Archive » Inspiration Roundup - June 30, 2009

[…] for the recycled sweater projects…….Finally, via a link over from Average Jane CrafterMaking It Lovely has a great tutorial on how to make a really simple but very pretty patterned vase! Previous: […]

5. A Guide to Making a Nice Patterned Vase - February 26, 2013