66 February 20, 2008

A Bulldog?

Brandon would like a smooshy-faced dog. Ideally, a bulldog.

I’ll have to do a bit more research, but I took a little quiz and the bulldog and I are apparently well suited. That’s good. I also like French bulldogs. They’re kind of smooshy-faced, so I think Brandon would probably like them too.

Dog Breeds

How does one go about finding a dog? It seems sort of strange to just google. Our kitties were strays, so I really have no experience in looking for a certain breed. Any tips?

Kris
    February 22, 2008 at 9:09 am

I hate to be a downer…but I wouldn’t get a smoochie face dog. They can end up with major health problems because, well, they were breed to have flat faces…and it’s not normal. Plus, they drool – a lot.

Adopt a mutt from a rescue shelter. Mutts are the best!

Amber
    February 22, 2008 at 10:13 am

I have a smoosh faced dog, a boston terrier! They are great dogs! Please consider getting a rescue dog. They are wonderful and you will be giving them a better life. I love my Kyla. Here’s a resource for bulldog rescue: http://www.rescuebulldogs.org/

meredith
    February 22, 2008 at 10:29 am

hi there nicole,

my husband & i bought a house a few years ago and were determined to adopt a dog once we had a yard. we spent a few months going to the animal shelter on the weekends, but one saturday saw a shy little german shepherd mix that would come up the the kennel door to check us out, but then retreat to her blanket. we asked to take her out to play and she immediately ran up to my husband and flipped over for him to rub her belly! it is important to note, i am terrified of german shepherds normally (something about their enormous jaw & pointy ears?), but she has been the sweetest dog i have ever come across.

my point is that i think purebreds are great, but there are so many mixed breeds at the shelters that need homes. For us it had much more to do with the personality of the dog, not the breed. despite my initial fear of owning a german shepherd mix, she has a sweet & calm disposition, is super smart & loyal and has been a great addition to our little family.

Sues is not Martha
    February 22, 2008 at 11:25 am

Aww what a great program! I’m not a huge fan of smooshy-faced dogs…I think they snore a lot. Bulldogs are cute though :) I also love keeshonds and samoyeds.

I’m most compatible with beagles. Yay Snoopy!

Sues

jane
    February 22, 2008 at 4:27 pm

I agree with a previous poster that English Springer Spaniels are one of the best family dogs around—such sweethearts! Our family dog was a Boston. She was really pretty, really funny, and a lover. They are quite hyper, though, and the health problems associated with this breed are mostly associated with their squished-in nose and also their eyes are vulnerable to injury Ours had both nose surgery (early) and eye surgery (later in life). Also, bostons often have one person they love best, so it can be hard on a couple if you both long to be idolized by the same pup. I don’t know if the french bull dog has this same trait? I would also encourage you to look into rescue dogs—such a great way to become a new dog owner. Good luck with your choice. :)

amy purple
    February 22, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Definitely check out the rescue sites Amber and Jen posted! Petfinder has lots of rescues listed as well.

We’re considering adopting a schipperke from a rescue and I already talked to her foster mom. She’s having pups, so we’d have to wait 10 weeks to adopt her. I can’t wait to meet her. I hope it works out and we’re a good fit.

Meg
    February 22, 2008 at 8:25 pm

Ya for Smooshy faced dogs! We have a boston terrier and love everything about her. She really is perfect for us. But, she’s a lot different (and more high energy) than an English Bulldog….

You’ve gotten some great advice, I just had to share in the smooshy goodness.

Miss B
    February 23, 2008 at 4:16 pm

A Frenchie! They are small not as active as a Boston, not as sloppy as (the so cute English versions). They are smart as can be, funny, sweet, kind and impossibly loyal. There are AMAZING rescue organizations for Frenchies…

Lisa
    February 23, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Please consider getting a mutt. I have friends with purebreds (pugs, bulldogs, poodles, terriers of all kinds, you name it), and not a single one of them doesn’t have some kind of health issue, with the exception of a labradoodle. The mutts in my life (including my two girls), however, tend to be healthier overall. No expensive surgeries or unusual allergies. They also, in my dog park experience, tend to have more stable temperaments. So many dogs are put down every day because they don’t have homes, even puppies! I understand your reputable breeder argument, but mother nature is a very reputable breeder, if left to her own devices.

That said, a pure breed is a known commodity. And if I had gotten my older dog before some asshole kicked (or threw) her (and I found her when she was only 5 weeks old… so yeah: there’s a special place in hell for people who abuse animals), we would have saved a LOT of time and heartache in getting her to trust people again. A reputable breeder can eliminate the “possibility of abuse” factor if you don’t want to deal with that.

Renee
    February 23, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I haven’t read all the comments, but just beware that a bulldog and french bulldog have totally opposite personalities. The latter needs a lot of exercise and though very cute are hyper and stubborn. Whereas bulldogs are a bit more easily tired out. How about a charpae (sp?) they’re adorable….

Sommer
    February 24, 2008 at 9:34 am

As everyone else has said, I highly recommend getting a rescued pup rather than a breeder pup. I don’t trust breeders, no matter how reputable they may be. I also have had friends that have run different kinds of rescue homes and I’ve always done my best to donate to them in any way I could. Those animals really NEED us. I hope you find a lovely addition to your family! I’m a Beagle fan myself, but any fuzzy friend is good.

Courtney
    February 25, 2008 at 11:14 am

I have a mixed english and french bulldog…people are right about flying these dogs–she’s the size of a frenchie, so she flies under the seat with us. As far as breathing issues, it’s really not as bad as people say. She snores, but the vet didn’t think she needed the nose surgery to open up their breathing passages, which they would have done when they did her spay, if they thought she needed it. If they do get the surgery, it’s totally routine and doesn’t cost much more than the spay alone, because they are already under anethesia. These dogs are amazing, smart and hilariously spunky,and live a lot longer than commonly thought if you watch their weight and keep them active. A vet said ours could live up to 17 years! As far as different personalities between the two breeds, Renee might be right. Since she’s mixed, ours seems to either be sprinting around the house or sleeping, and nothing inbetween. One other thing to note is they aren’t huge fans of the cold weather, but that can be a good thing if you aren’t either! We just moved from Portland, OR to Evanston, and while she loves the snow, she is not a huge fan of the cold. Good luck, and don’t get freaked out by what everyone says…I think it’s great that you’re thinking about it, but also, when you meet your dog, you know it, and that’s that!

.a
    February 25, 2008 at 12:47 pm

Olde English Bulldog – Look into that breed. My parents have a 4 month old that has taken very well to training, smart!

RoseCampion
    February 25, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I can’t believe no one else has spoken up in favor of your 98% match. The Keeshond. We had a Kees for eleven or so years. We got him as an adult, so he passed at like age fourteen or so. He probably would have lived longer but for the kidney disease, which I think was caused by his dog food. We fed Iams for years.

But seriously, our Kees was the sweetest, most patient, loving dog I’ve ever known. A little dumb, but honestly, too smart is not necessarily a good point in a dog that’s primarily a house pet. I wouldn’t have a smart dog like a border collie unless I had sheep for it or something.

Also, don’t be put off by the long hair. For some reason, our Kees never matted except a little by the ears, so he was really easy to keep for a long hair dog. A Kees is sturdy, medium sized, friendly, and a good watch dog without being scary. Also, breed rescue is pretty active and they always seem to have puppies as well as adult dogs listed.

AMANDA
    February 29, 2008 at 4:55 pm

i would find a forum of dog owners to ask the pros and cons of their own breeds of dogs.

i have a cocker spaniel and i love her to pieces.
    i adopted her when she was 5 years old.

French Bulldog Blog
    May 23, 2008 at 10:50 pm

We love frenchies over here!

• 1 2