Rearranging the Dining Room Hutch

This is what the hutch looks like right now:

Dining Room Hutch

And this was it before:
Dining Room Hutch (Before)

When I took everything out and laid it all on the table, it looked a little like my own personal flea market. It was fun to choose what would make it back in.

My Personal Flea Market

The fabric that I tacked to the back of the hutch doesn’t quite reach all the way from top to bottom, but Reprodepot sells Marimekko’s Satula by the repeat (32″) instead of by the yard, and I only bought one repeat.

Maybe?

I painted the little section of the wall between the buffet and the door with Behr’s “Butternut Wood”. What do you think? I like the color, but what do I paint the ceiling? The only colors in the fabric to play off of are pink and green, so pink? Or maybe a lighter shade of the green wall color?

Fabrics & Paint for the Dining Room

I might go with something else… I’m not sure yet. I have some of the Amy Butler fabric that I posted here on the way, and there are still lots of other fabrics I’m considering. I do like the idea of pinning the fabric to the back of the hutch though – I think that turned out well!

77 Responses to “Rearranging the Dining Room Hutch”

1. Making it Lovely March 12, 2008 at 9:07 pm #

Janet, Brandon doesn’t mind the pink too much. He defers to my judgement (most of the time) on what looks good, so I’m lucky. He only really says no to my crazier ideas, and that’s rare. ;) Also, the ‘wild aster’ color isn’t baby pink, so it’s more grown up, for lack of a better term.

Peggy, I’m keeping the vases that I didn’t put back in! Everything goes in and out of rotation, you know.

2. M&Co March 16, 2008 at 8:26 pm #

Amazing! I LOVE what you did here!!

3. tina March 23, 2008 at 12:35 pm #

Hi, I love your “Eat & Drink” letters. Where did you get that? :)

4. Making it Lovely March 23, 2008 at 12:54 pm #

The letters were a gift.

5. Wrist Corsage July 21, 2008 at 11:39 am #

Hi,

I like that two small chair which is white in color. It looks soooo cute. Is it a gist as well? Hehe.

Cheers.

p/s: Lovely arrangement!

6. Chesa February 15, 2009 at 9:19 pm #

I’m just reading this, I realize it’s older but I love the Marimekko and everything about your home. Where is the cake plate from?

7. Making it Lovely February 15, 2009 at 11:59 pm #

The glass cake plate in the very top left is an old one that’s been in Brandon’s family, the white one on the bottom left was from Pottery Barn, and the pink one on the bottom right was a gift.

• Sacha February 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm #

Where did you get those adorable eat & drink signs (words)!Love both looks, curious what it looks like now?

8. Doreen Kirby March 2, 2009 at 3:18 pm #

Sorry, too too much.

9. christina in nh March 21, 2009 at 6:00 am #

i love that fabric but i don’t like it in the hutch. the fact that it alllllmost fills up the space but nooooot quite bugs me to death lol. i’ve been reading your site a long time and it seems like something that would bug you to death too! plus there is something about it that makes it look like a flag behind there. i would pick a fabric with a smaller repeating pattern. i also liked how you had the eat and drink placed in the before picture. you have lovely things and i wish i could go shopping in your house. :)

10. Erica October 6, 2009 at 10:02 am #

I think it looks great! I especially love the words. :)
    Thanks for sharing all of your delightful ideas with us.

11. Tiffany October 19, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

I love the fabric. I think it is funky and not too much. You have great taste. I’d love to have something like this in our kitchen.

T

12. Violeta Romero October 23, 2009 at 3:46 pm #

I really love the new look!
    Love the objects too!

13. Violeta Romero October 23, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

Your site has an excellent design, congratulations!

14. elle chaney December 31, 2009 at 8:04 pm #

I love what you’ve done and hope you keep doing it again, and again. I too have a hutch that I redo with each season or when I score a great piece of fabric or even wrapping paper. I cover styrofoam panels that are cut to fit snugly inside the back of the cabinet. At Christmas I cover them with copies of the sheet music for “jingle bells” Makes for a great vintage backdrop for whiteware at the holidays.

Enjoy!

15. Malynn January 4, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

I think it’s great that you have a defined style. I haven’t found mine yet:( It seems I love most of the style I see…

16. Tray January 6, 2010 at 8:04 pm #

I think it looks AMAZING !! I’ve taken a few design classes and its perfect. You dont want everything all matchy matchy. The design is a powerful element but doesnt overpower the beauty of your collectables. I think you should go with pale pink for ceiling or white. Both with compliment the room and the design in the hutch. BEAUTIFUL job !

17. ColeB February 2, 2010 at 9:56 am #

This is fabulous! I have been struggling with this very project! I have been contemplating painting the back of our shelves but was afraid I wouldn’t like it. I am going to try some fabric and see how that works out! Is there an online source you prefer over others to buy fabric? All the ones I have been using are so hard to navigate!

Yours Truly,

Cole B

18. Morgan February 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm #

I had to comment! I love the look and have been saving up my own stash of all-white vases, goblets, cake plates and the like for a similar project – wonderful job!

19. jessisca April 4, 2010 at 10:39 am #

I really like this! I don’t see it as too busy, I think all the white really pops against the fabric. Much more so than before)

20. Gail April 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

OMG it’s TDF!!! Great job!

21. Christina April 23, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Hi Nicole…

I wanted to say how much I love this. I was reading through and I know it was posted in 2008, and I think it’s great it’s still drawing debate and commentary.

I think this should be viewed as a little work of art, like a quilt. I think the POINT is that your eye moves around and settles on different things. There are elements of texture within and yet a sense of harmony.

I always enjoy your blog and style and wish you could come to England to decorate my house. When I do redecorate our next house, I will be keeping your style in mind. You’ve also made me aspire to wear more dresses. Thanks :O)

PS …. adore the carrot top.
    Christina

22. afgail May 24, 2010 at 1:02 am #

Everybody is being so polite here. And I will try to be too, but the busy pattern behind the collection of white items competes with the shapes of the collection. On the assumption that the collection is the star of the show, I think a shocking pink SOLID color would add zing to the collection and play up the interesting shapes of the varied items. I’m assuming you could get a piece of cloth that would cover the entire back of hutch and give a more polished/finished look.

23. M August 26, 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Much better w/ the background; it anchors all the pieces & unifies the collection. Bravo!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Honor Roll - April 2, 2010

[...] know I love fabric backing a cabinet or hutch. Here’s a little fabric as wallpaper how [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Arranging a Collection - October 13, 2010

[...] shown you how I’ve rearranged my dining room hutch full of white ceramics before, but I’ve never before shown my process. So here’s how I do it… I start with [...]

3. Ten Amazing New Items from West Elm! « Home.Spice.Life - January 12, 2011

[...] inspired by my favorite home blogger Nicole Balch of Making it Lovely. I love the look of  the pottery collection in her dining room hutch . I believe any (or all) of these vases would be a great way to [...]