Wee Girl

I haven’t been feeling well lately and I’ve been confined to the house. As cabin fever was really setting in, I decided to do something crafty. Brandon’s been teasing me because it is on the whimsical side, which I usually hate.

Wee Girl

The whimsy factor gets worse too. This project was based on a chidrens’ craft project… for making flower fairies. You’re supposed to make little wire bodies and then take apart fake flowers to make the clothing. I instead chose embroidery thread, felt, and fabric to make mine.

Little Wire Bodies

The Body for my Wee Girl

I actually made two heads (wooden beads, paint, and more embroidery thread) because I didn’t like the way the first one turned out. Too smug.

A Head for my Wee Girl

I gave her a little paper flower to hold, glued her head on, and she was finished.

Wee Girl

She’s just under 3″ tall, so my Wee Girl is indeed very wee.

What do you think? I’m afraid Brandon’s right. I’ve gone whimsical, haven’t I?

87 Responses to “Wee Girl”

1. Home accessories lover September 15, 2008 at 4:13 am #

Wow, this girl is so ellegant and cute! Nice one:)

2. Erica September 15, 2008 at 9:12 am #

I love her! I actually have a girl that is a pin that I have saved from when I was a little girl, and I was showing it to my daughter the other day. I was wondering about how I might go about making another. Now I know how! Thanks!

3. kiwi September 20, 2008 at 9:35 am #

She reminds me of Kenley from Project Runway.

4. tanja November 24, 2008 at 11:42 am #

It’s so cute! Thanks for sharing and greetings from Germany!

5. Rebecka November 24, 2008 at 12:26 pm #

Thank you for sharing, it’s adorable and just a little bit whimsical… ;)

6. Evelyne November 24, 2008 at 2:26 pm #

Just the loveliest wee girl ever!

7. Meredith November 24, 2008 at 4:43 pm #

She’s just goregous!!

8. Kel November 24, 2008 at 9:39 pm #

I love her. For some reason she is crying out for me to make for a couple of old friends.

9. Love Laurie November 24, 2008 at 10:41 pm #

I love it! No surprise though because everything I make has a bit of whimsy to it. Thans for the tutorial. Very sweet!!

10. juliecache November 26, 2008 at 12:36 am #

sew, mama, sew! had a link to this project. my 8 yo made a little wee girl today. she’s liking it enough to make more for her cousin’s christmas gift. thank you for posting your idea!

11. Erika Chapin November 30, 2008 at 9:36 pm #

Thank you so much for showing this along with your process. I have spent all weekend making similar ones for my daughters Christmas tree and for my friends. Congratulations in advance on having a baby girl. Girls are so much fun!

12. Bev November 30, 2008 at 11:55 pm #

I found your blog through a websearch for handcrafted dolls and I knew that my dd and I would have to try this one. I showed her the pictures (she’s 9) and she fell in love with your little lady doll! So today, we spent the afternoon crafting up a few of our own. She, too, wanted to make them to give as Christmas gifts to her girl cousins. Thank you for sharing!

13. LilyBelle January 1, 2009 at 6:58 am #

I noticed that you have become a “follower” of my blog so have taken the time to have a look at one of yours. This wee doll is adorable and well worth the time and effort you took to create her.

14. jos January 15, 2009 at 10:58 pm #

that is absolutely gorgeous! i just found your site and i love it! erm, there’s nothing wrong with whimsical *looks down pensively and twiddles thumbs*

15. PJ January 23, 2009 at 8:45 am #

This wee girl is awesome! My daughter is away at college and she always doodles on notes by drawing stick people and I always joke with her about that. This is a three-dimensional stick girl and I’m going to make her some so she doesn’t get lonely in her dorm. Any idea what gauge wire you used for this or the bead size for the head–or are you encouraging us to just wing it? Whichever way, I’m so happy I found your site. I appreciate your imagination and creativity.

16. Jessica February 1, 2009 at 10:43 pm #

Aww… so cute! Are those scissors in the head picture? They are beautiful! Where on earth did you get them?

17. mariabuenosaires March 27, 2009 at 4:31 am #

Muchas gracias, tu muñeca esta preciosa y me guarde el paso a paso, te felicito, saludos desde Argentina
    Maryte

18. susan April 15, 2009 at 11:28 pm #

such a sweet doll
    thanks for the tute

19. gaga May 21, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Your doll is marvelous!! i try to make it, but i found trouble glueing the hair and the head….

20. Catherine July 9, 2009 at 3:08 pm #

Love it. I have been trying to work out how to do those wrapped arms – thanks for sharing! I second the request to know what gauge wire you used.

21. Natalie August 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm #

Please carry on being whimsy, I have just found your website while looking for things to do with dolly pegs, my husband wishes i hadnt, as i have now been on her looking at all the things you have made for nearly 4hours. You truelly are a domestic goodess. Can i adopt you as my mum? i’m 32 hahahaha. Natalie from England.x

22. Gretna January 6, 2010 at 8:19 am #

Very nice and lovely…:) I have a question, what kind of paint have you used to draw the face? to paint on wood…

Many kisses! (from spain!)

23. meriam February 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm #

beautiful! i really want to make this can you post instructions please? from where you get the supplies to putting the wee doll together??

24. Unusual Home Accessories Princess May 13, 2010 at 3:22 am #

That is just SO cute! I’d love to make one myself!

25. Despina August 25, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

She is so cute!

26. Taylor September 4, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

She is very lovely! Love the flower in her hand.

Taylor

27. Irasema December 20, 2010 at 11:26 pm #

I have been looking for something like this. Lakeshore sells similar dolls for $5 a doll, which can get pricey when you want a whole family or two.

28. Rose Marie June 8, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Oh My , This doll are beautiful! Me encanta , la pinee en pinturest ‘, te felicito , eres muy creativa!!! Rose M .

29. Shanda December 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm #

I would love to buy this cute little wee girls for my daugthers for this christmas…I went on Esty to see if you had a shop my girls love them and so do I very cute and adorable!!!

30. Dorria September 22, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Your doll is marvelous!! i’ll try to make it

1. Surviving College Life » DIY Holiday Gifts for Kids - Survive College with tips about roommates, studying, and more! - December 18, 2008

[...] Teeny Girl Doll. A pocket-sized dollie for a little sister, cousin, niece, or babysitting charge. (from Making it Lovely) [...]

2. friday round-up | - March 1, 2009

[...] next time I have cabin fever, I’ll think of Nicole’s Wee Girl and try to motivate myself to do something crafty. (via Making it [...]

3. a bowl of moss & pebbles » Little Red and the Pipe Cleaner People - August 31, 2009

[...] another tutorial on a variation of the wee doll, click here. Coming soon – wee pants [...]

4. Sew,Mama,Sew! Blog » » November 24 ~ Gifts for the Whimsical - September 9, 2009

[...] Girl Nicole from Making it Lovely shows how to create a Wee Girl with embroidery thread, felt, and [...]

5. Por um casamento craft | SuperZiper - July 4, 2010

[...] Se isso não te fez feliz, você pode fazer lindos bonequinhos com arame, tecidos, feltro e linha para bordado, olha só! [...]

6. Creative Christmas :: Gifting « DFW Mama - November 11, 2010

[...] Wee Girls – If your girl has a dollhouse, wouldn’t these look cute with it?  I don’t know if my crafting skills go this far, but I’d sure like to try! [...]

7. shescrafty.co.uk » Size matters? - February 28, 2011

[...] can indeed come in small packages and Nicole Balch has certainly got me pro-minature with her recent Wee Girl project. I have some ideas about what I can use my mini doves for but given their cost [...]