Painting the Porch Rug

Here’s how I spent my Saturday afternoon…

Painted Rug in Progress

There’s me, the round little roly-poly VERY pregnant lady, painting the porch. Aye, my back hurts! And please note that the Chicago weather is NOT cooperating with us. I’m wearing a shirt, a hoodie, and a big bulky sweater — it was only 45 degrees out.

To be fair, I must let you know that Brandon, his sister Jessica, and several other people have offered to help me paint. It had to be me though because I was painting the pattern freehand. I couldn’t just pick stripes or a checkerboard pattern that someone else could work on for me, now could I? No, that would have been too easy, and of course I’m all about making things difficult as can be. ;) The pattern was inspired by a rug from Urban Outfitters, and also the flower petal patterns my grandmother used to draw.

Painted Rug in Progress

Brandon made some excellent progress today as well. Our table and chair set has been painted!

Spray Painting Furniture

We still have a few things to do for the front porch, but they should go fairly quickly. And as I told my mom, we still have time because the baby isn’t due until Tuesday and I’ve instructed her to stay put until then. We have too much to do before she arrives, and our doctor will be out of town until Monday night. I’m sure the baby will listen, right?

77 Responses to “Painting the Porch Rug”

1. from the right bank April 13, 2009 at 8:22 pm #

Oh my god, I am gobsmacked for so many reasons. First, this is such a great idea and your talents seem to know no bounds. Second, that you would tackle such a project so close to your due date is truly amazing to someone as lazy as I am. Third, the fact that you would do this when it’s so cold out! Seriously, you are my idol. It looks fantastic. I love the design and the color.

2. Amanda April 13, 2009 at 9:01 pm #

I have that rug! Nicole, I’m beginning to think you are Wonder Woman.

3. Melanie April 13, 2009 at 9:07 pm #

Ah the porch looks great! Be safe and take it easy girl – such a hard worker!

4. Jacci April 13, 2009 at 9:13 pm #

That looks fabulous!!! Love the background color :) I keep looking at the beat-up wood floors in our living room (new house) and thinking I want to stencil them. Maybe down the road… keep it up! You and the porch are looking great!!

Jacci

5. Cyb April 13, 2009 at 9:43 pm #

That will be a nice picture to show your girl when she is older!

I have one picture of my mom big bellied (with me inside) and painting my crib and when I look at it I always see my super mom never stopping and always doing so many things even when 9 months pregnant!

6. Marie April 13, 2009 at 10:13 pm #

Looks amazing – wish I had a porch I could do that to!

7. Emily April 13, 2009 at 10:31 pm #

I visit your blog regularly just to see what your next stroke of creative genius will be, and I just want to say go girl for getting down on the ground painting away when the little baby is due any day now! And I can’t wait to see your finished project, it already looks so cool. Great job!

8. Denise April 14, 2009 at 7:10 am #

Love the painted rug. You are amazing. Your porch is looking so you!

9. Amanda April 14, 2009 at 9:00 am #

Hi Nicole–
    Just realized the other day that I have been reading your blog for over a year now! I don’t know how I came across it but I look at it at least a few times a week. Very inspiring…feels like I know ya! Anyway….saw your tweet about the garden stool. I just got one at World Market last weekend for $17. It was originally $70. Also, saw some at Garden Ridge that weren’t too pricey. You’d want to paint them though…the colors were not so great (Gold and paisley anyone??) Good luck with the porch!

10. Tracey April 14, 2009 at 2:07 pm #

I have to finish the painted floor in my daughter’s playhouse- gives me an idea! And yes, it is just as cold here. Good luck on baby- hope you get all of your projects done!

11. Lauren April 14, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

Your porch is going to look absolutely fabulous! The flowers are beautiful. I love that you are superpregnant, and doing all this! You are truly inspiring.

12. vol25 April 15, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Wow!! Kudos to you, you look great! The rug is beautiful.

Do you mind me asking what the rug is made of, is it something picked up from Home Depot? I would love to do something similar.

13. gabbi April 15, 2009 at 3:56 pm #

Way to go on the freehand, it looks fantastic. Painting on the floor is so painful, isn’t it?

14. E. Lindsey Hornkohl April 15, 2009 at 5:03 pm #

What a great idea! I love the colors, the design, the simplicity…and that you are soooo pregnant while doing it! I’ll have to keep this in mind for our new house (we’d like to buy before the year’s out).

15. susan April 15, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

your porch looks lovely
    im surprised you were able to paint
    i have been wanting to get my dining room table painted, but
    have put it off until it stays in the 60’s

16. Renee April 16, 2009 at 12:30 pm #

Can you tell me how you prepared and sealed the porch? It’s lovely, absolutely lovely. I want to do this in my dining room.

17. Lynne, Tea for Joy April 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm #

Wow, that looks great, but I just can not see how that can have been in any way comfortable!

18. Melissa de la Fuente April 17, 2009 at 8:41 pm #

I am just always so impressed by you and your fabulous taste! Also, the fact that you are due any second and out there painting! Awesome! I wish you well with your new little one and thank you so much for all of the inspiration!
    xo
    Melissa

19. lindsay April 20, 2009 at 8:18 am #

The “rug” looks wonderful! Your creativity is so inspiring…When I was pregnant there is no way I could have got up from that position! Again…inspiring :)

20. Lisa Mainz April 20, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

Love the idea you are doing painting the floor of the porch. just found your blog its beautiful -

21. Ryan April 24, 2009 at 11:27 am #

Your remodle looks like it is coming along great. Good luck with the new baby.

22. Jess @ The Finer Things April 25, 2009 at 10:18 am #

Wow, this is amazing. You are ultra-talented! And, the fact that you are doing this while pregnant… definitely sending you props :)

23. Jen Jafarzadeh May 3, 2009 at 7:00 pm #

your porch looks incredible! I now feel like a total lazypants that I was complaining about how I have to re-paint our bedroom before moving out of our rental this month. Kudos to you!

24. Ashley May 20, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

I have to tell you, this picture is what made me vote for your project – so talented, and so pregnant! I love it. Good Luck!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Up for the Challenge: Part Four - April 24, 2009

[…] Painting the porch rug freehand while very pregnant was a little harder than I expected, but I’m beyond thrilled with the way it turned out! That and the hanging divider that we made really personalize the front porch. […]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » The Porch Rug (Revisited) - May 25, 2009

[…] started by sketching the pattern on paper first. As I had mentioned before, I was inspired by a rug from Urban Outfitters (no longer available) and the flower petal patterns […]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Up for the Challenge: The End - June 12, 2009

[…] throughout the whole process. There were times when I thought I was in a bit over my head (*ahem*, porch painting), but the end result and your thoughtful comments made it all worth it. And I truly appreciate […]