Felt Pin with Interchangeable Center

I’ve been planning to take a photo of Eleanor each month, and I wanted a way to mark each one for easy identification. I ran across a prize-ribbon tutorial recently, and I was going to make one but I didn’t have the right kind of ribbon. Sure, I could have gone out and bought some, but I had a sleeping baby in the house and a desire to make something now. I ended up rummaging through my craft closet for supplies that I had on hand and I came up with a felt version instead.

Finished Pin w/ Numbers

First I cut two matching circles out of pink and white felt.

Tracing Circles

Then I cut a slightly larger circle out of brown felt with pinking shears (using one of my pocket mirrors as a template).

Cutting w/ Pinking Shears

Next I marked an asterisk pattern on the pink felt circle, stacked it on top of the white circle, and then cut out eight triangular points.

Cutting Parts

I chose a few cute ribbons to form the tails…

Ribbon for the Pin

Then I hand stitched all of my parts together and formed the body of the pin.

Sewing the Pin

I could have stopped there or sewn a button in the center if I just wanted to make a cute pin, but I wanted to be able to change the center each month for Eleanor’s age (in months). Since I have ready access to a button machine (I make pins and magnets with it for my shop), I decided to make 24 numbered buttons. May as well make this a two year photo project, eh?

Punching Out Buttons

Now I can just swap out the center each month and Eleanor can wear the correct number on the pin each month for her photo!

Finished Pin w/ Numbers

84 Responses to “Felt Pin with Interchangeable Center”

1. Nuit May 27, 2009 at 10:08 am #

OMG Nicole, yoiu are just too cool!

2. JJB May 27, 2009 at 10:10 am #

apropos of nothing, thought i’d share my redecorated china cabinet:http://dancingcommas.blogspot.com/2009/05/our-fancy-cabinet.html
    i was so inspired by your dining room hutch makeover that i couldn’t resist trying out a fabric back as well. i love it. thanks for the inspiration!!

3. Carol May 27, 2009 at 12:24 pm #

Okay, that’s so cute it almost hurts.

4. Becki May 27, 2009 at 3:04 pm #

That is very sweet. Your daughter will love to have this “chart” of her childhood.

5. Dewi May 27, 2009 at 6:54 pm #

You’re truly amazing, and seriously in the running to be the next Martha Stewart.

I used a yellow post it note on the baby’s shirt with the date scribbled on it for my monthly impromptu photos.

6. Estelle May 27, 2009 at 8:18 pm #

This is ingenious! You should make these available for purchasing!

7. Yard Sale Mama May 27, 2009 at 9:34 pm #

Love it!! Now I just need a time machine to go back and do that for my kids. Oh yeah, and a nifty button maker :o)

Way to go Crafty Lady!

8. Karina May 28, 2009 at 12:08 am #

Oh My Goodness – seriously, you have a brand new baby and you are finding time to actually create things (other than just ideas in your head). I am very impressed. What a fantastic idea. Love the buttons – now, gotta get me one of those machines.

9. Making it Lovely May 28, 2009 at 8:20 am #

I would be happy to make and sell these… if only I had the time! Really though, they aren’t that difficult to make… just time consuming. Try making one if you want one and you may surprise yourself with your crafty abilities!

Oh and for those that asked, I get all of my button machines and parts from American Button Machines.

• Selidji September 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Hi Nicole,
      I LOVE your blog! Just came around this post. I recently had a baby boy too and would love do to that each month. I can’t afford a button machine right now do you know where I can purchase some buttons just like yours?
      Thanks so much! You inspire me!

10. leni May 28, 2009 at 12:12 pm #

i just discovered your blog a love it! such great ideas!

11. Travelingmama May 28, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

This is such a sweet idea! BTW- Happy Anniversary too! My husband and I are celebrating 10 years and it is so amazing to spend year after year with someone so special! Wishing you much happiness!

12. rachel denbow May 28, 2009 at 7:30 pm #

Fantastic idea! So much cuter than the overstuffed doll version.

Your little one is adorable.

13. Sue May 28, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

what a sweet idea! wish I had thought of something like that but mine are 8 and 11 years old now! very cute

14. birthday girl May 28, 2009 at 11:46 pm #

really, these are just precious… and i love how the pins make it easy to re-use month after month (or year after year)!

15. Tam May 29, 2009 at 1:53 am #

P.s.–all you generous commentors, please support Nicole and don’t forget to VOTE EVERYDAY in the B.H.G. 48 hour challenge–the squeeze for first place is getting close!! IT’S UP TO US!!

16. kasey May 29, 2009 at 8:22 am #

lovely little project.
    xo

17. Erin May 29, 2009 at 2:11 pm #

Very Cute and clever!

18. jodi May 29, 2009 at 2:52 pm #

brilliant!

19. puglyfeet May 29, 2009 at 3:38 pm #

Thank you for this. I’ve been searching all over for a good tutorial and yours is very easy to follow.

20. moderneve May 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm #

this is idea is fabulous!

21. Briana June 1, 2009 at 2:16 pm #

WOW, what a fantastic idea! If you had any idea how seriously obsessed my 3 1/2 year old son is with numbers….
    We have a little girl due in a month, and this might be a great way for him to be involved in tracking how old she is. So cute! Thanks for the idea.

22. Virginia June 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm #

Oo, I second (third? fourth?) the previous posters – I would love if you offered these in your shop! Looking forward to seeing the cute cute photos!

23. Kate June 5, 2009 at 12:22 am #

Oh.my.gosh! Nicole, please please pretty please tell me where you got your bird scissors! They are to die for!

And Eleanor is such a doll. What a fabulous idea for her baby photos.

24. Briana June 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm #

Thanks for the idea! I didn’t make exactly this, but did end up making a series of number magnets for my 3 year old with a friend’s button maker, and my son drew some pictures and we made buttons for his Grandma’s 62nd birthday too! Fun stuff.

25. Deena June 16, 2009 at 9:43 am #

What a great idea!

26. Erin June 26, 2009 at 8:42 am #

So cute! Wish I would have done something like this for my kiddos! Enjoy her! She’s beautiful!

27. Shoshana June 30, 2009 at 10:51 pm #

Your blog and daughter is adorable. I am going to add you on my design blog http://www.loveyourroom.blogspot.com. thanks for sharing.

28. Debbie September 1, 2009 at 10:20 am #

What a wonderful idea! I am trying to scrapbook my daughter’s baby pictures. And it is really hard to tell the age in some of the pictures. Wish I had thought of this or even a hand scrawled sign like JB used.

1. {blog love} this week i love… « {in the tweeds} - June 5, 2009

[...] Felt pin – {Making It Lovely} – love this idea for all of my pregger friends! [...]

2. Link love for July 29, 2009 - July 28, 2009

[...] Make a special badge for your baby’s monthly photo from Making it Lovely [...]

3. One Month Old (Eleanor’s Monthly Photo) | Making it Lovely - January 10, 2011

[...] Felt Pin with Interchangeable Center Back in Second Place [...]

4. Twenty Four Months Old (Eleanor’s Last Monthly Photo) | Making it Lovely - April 29, 2011

[...] took a photo of Eleanor sitting in the Eames rocker and wearing her felt pin each month until she turned two years [...]

5. Some Links… | Naturally Contrary - October 2, 2012

[...] so hooray for Overstock, who tells me I should receive it today.) I also ended up making a similar felt rosette for baby, and ordering number pins from an Etsy shop to indicate Alexis’ age in each photo. [...]