35 September 18, 2009

MiY 3a: Girly Apartment

It’s about time for another round of Making it Yours (MiY), don’t you think? MiY explores ways to use stylish investment pieces for the home while keeping up with changing lives and changing tastes. In this third edition, I’ll be focusing on the ever popular Madeline Weinrib Zig Zag Rug. It will start out in the home of a young woman who has just splurged on the rug (it’s the most expensive thing in her apartment!), then make its way with her through several changes of residence.

MiY 3a: Girly Apartment

Nothing here is extraordinarily expensive, but our young apartment-dweller is starting to gather some nice things for her living/dining space. IKEA’s Karlstad with a green slipcover is a great sofa for only $499, and the hot pink chair is a fun addition to the room. Wicker chairs keep things light and airy, and the tee pee dining table is a piece that will be loved for many years to come. The pink lamp is a steal at just $49 (on sale), and it would look great on a substantial white blocky table. White wall flowers and a pink print dress the walls, and a cute pillow sits on the sofa.

Next up, we’ll see the rug move into the bedroom.

J
    September 18, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Just saw these and for some reason…they remind me of your site! http://shopmica.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4900278

siescierto
    September 18, 2009 at 1:32 pm

I love that Target chair! It looks like a nice place to sit and read for a while. Great eye for color combination, as usual!

Manda
    September 18, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Yay! I’ve been waiting for another MIY. I love that CB2 table, I wish CB2 would come to Australia.

Kari
    September 18, 2009 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE this room, it’s absolute perfection for me.

Elissa
    September 18, 2009 at 2:11 pm

I’ve loved that rug for a while. By “most expensive thing in her apartment” how expensive do you mean? I can’t seem to find price info.

Audrie
    September 18, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Wonderful picks! I especially love the print and the Lucy chair.

:::Lyzz:::
    September 18, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Gorgeous finds. I love that rug but can’t believe how expensive it is!

A Merry Mishap
    September 18, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I can’t wait for the bedroom!

danielle
    September 18, 2009 at 4:45 pm

That lamp rocks my socks!

kate
    September 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm

As a girl just starting out in her first girlie apartment, I’m loving this edition of MIY.

Now, if only I could afford a Weinrub rug– sigh.

Thanks, Nicole!

kristen
    September 18, 2009 at 6:13 pm

so cute! that table is awesome.

Averill
    September 18, 2009 at 9:24 pm

I love your MIY feature and I’m glad you’ve brought it back! The MW zig zag rug is a great choice and I can’t wait to see what you do with it next.

Fiona
    September 18, 2009 at 11:47 pm

I love it, it way too pretty! I love the Lucy Upholstered Chair!

julia
    September 19, 2009 at 2:06 am

What is the rug made out of (cotton, wool)? I recently bought a beautiful 8×10 green/cream cotton rug for my living room but my 1 year old spilled water on it and it stained. Yes, water stained it. Apparently cotton rugs are prone to “browning” when they get wet with water so they cannot be cleaned. I’ve had my rug about a month and it already needs to be replaced. This rug would be perfect – as long as its more durable!

nadia khafagi
    September 19, 2009 at 5:52 am

i just love the pink and this shade of green,
    thanx for sharing!

Macy
    September 19, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I love it! Pink and girly are my thing. Wish I could have these at my dorm room.

Helen
    September 19, 2009 at 3:04 pm

$1,000 is quite expensive for a rug, but I actually thought that madeline weinrib rugs were more in the $5k range

Nicole RJ
    September 20, 2009 at 8:19 am

Oh I LOVE that chair! Target when are you coming to Canada?! :(

Dani
    September 20, 2009 at 9:41 am

I love this room! I would love to see one installment of the rug accommodating a man’s need for masculinity in a room. Like when this “girl” moves in with a “boy.” :) I showed my husband this room and all he could say was “it’s too feminine.” Disappointing!

robin
    September 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm

such a cute inspiration board! but while it is a very cute couch in pictures- i highly advise against it. i had recommended it to a friend as it would be easy to take up the elevator of his high rise unassembled… which was true. however that was the last nice thing about the couch. it is truly SO uncomfortable and after a day of use, it looks worn out and ugly. just sharin….

Down Pillow
    September 20, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Such cute pieces! I can’t get over that adorable chair from Target – love, love, love it :)

Ivanchika
    September 21, 2009 at 3:15 am

Dear Nicole, sretan rođendan or happy birthday- your fan/reader from long distanced Croatia (small country in Europe, near Italy)! Ivana, mother of two beautiful kids

Nuit
    September 21, 2009 at 10:31 am

What a gorgeous rug!!! I totally see why anyone would wanna build around it. so nice…

xo

Kathleen
    September 21, 2009 at 10:45 am

I adore this series and that rug. But thinking about my first apartment through now there have been lots of red wine spills on lots of inexpensive (thank GOD) rugs. I’m just now feeling adult enough to splurge.

HR Lady
    September 22, 2009 at 2:05 am

WOW! BIG WOW! Pink..pink..pink…I just love pink..

Liz
    September 22, 2009 at 4:09 pm

LOVE the Alexandra Ferguson pillow. I am ordering the Be Nice or Leave version.

Anna Liesemeyer
    September 23, 2009 at 1:13 pm

LOVE THIS! Thanks for sharing your taste. LOVE the lamp.

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 3b: Bedroom
    September 24, 2009 at 9:19 am

[…] « MiY 3a: Girly Apartment […]

www.betterhomenogarden.com
    September 25, 2009 at 5:21 pm

This is the apartment Peggy on “Mad Men” would have if Peggy were more fun. Loving the pink chair.

Julieann/CreateGirl
    September 30, 2009 at 5:40 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! you are feeding my typography addiction with that etsy pillow! I adore it. How perfect it would be for any young girl to have in her room or any of us for that matter. so true, thanks for sharing

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 3c: A More Masculine Apartment
    October 1, 2009 at 12:38 pm

[…] way with her through several changes of residence. We first saw it in the living/dining area of her girly apartment, and then it moved to the […]

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 3e: Fresh Start Dining Room
    October 16, 2009 at 11:25 am

[…] way with her through several changes of residence. We first saw it in the living/dining area of her girly apartment, and then in her bedroom. When she and her sweetie moved in together, they made the apartment more […]

MiY 3d: Modern Cabin | Making it Lovely