A Day in the Life

Several people have asked me about my daily life on formspring (a site that allows people to ask questions anonymously). They want to know how I fit in my work, if I have any help, when I find time to keep my house in some semblance of order, etcetera. Last week, I took photographs throughout the day so that I could share a day in my life with you.

My Day: March 24, 2010

6:00 – Good morning! Eleanor’s up, so I am too. I change her diaper and nurse her, then put her in the exersaucer to play while I shower. Once I’m out, I let her crawl around and play while I finish getting ready.

7:30 – We wake up Brandon, then Eleanor and I head downstairs for breakfast.

A Day in the Life

8:30 – Brandon leaves for work.

A Day in the Life

9:00 – My assistant Erika is here from 9-12 three days a week. She helps me with my shop (Pink Loves Brown), but she also watches Eleanor when there aren’t a lot of orders to fill.

A Day in the Life

9:05 – I take Eleanor upstairs to get her dressed, nurse her, and put her down for a nap.

A Day in the Life

9:30 – I work. I write blog posts, respond to emails, edit photos, do shop maintenance… whatever needs to be done that day. Today I began writing a new post and also setup a little photo shoot for it.

A Day in the Life

10:30 – Eleanor is up from her nap. Today Erika has finished everything for the shop so she hangs out with Eleanor for me so I can continue working.

A Day in the Life

11:00 – Lunch for Eleanor.

12:00 – Erika’s done for the day. I nurse Eleanor, then it’s lunchtime for me.

12:30 – It’s not too bad out, so it’s time for a little walk!

2:00 – I nurse Eleanor again and she takes a second nap. I finally finish the post I had been working on (“Thinking About Food”) and publish it.

Thinking About Food

2:45 – She’s up. Not the longest nap, but not bad. I’m just happy she took one at all — she often skips the second nap. Now we play. And cuddle. And read books.

A Day in the Life

4:00 – I nurse Eleanor again.

4:30 – I’m feeling productive so I try to fit in a little tidying up. I don’t get around to everything though, including the basket of laundry that has been in the living room for the past few days.

5:15 – Brandon’s home!

A Day in the Life

5:30 – We start preparing dinner together. We’re making falafel from a recipe in a magazine which claims to be ready in 20 minutes. It always takes us an hour.

A Day in the Life

6:00 – Eleanor gets dinner. We’re still making ours.

6:45 – Well that took even longer than expected. We finally get to eat.

A Day in the Life

7:00 – Brandon and I take Eleanor up to bed. We change her, she nurses (again), and then she goes to sleep for the night.

7:20 – I change into pajamas, wash my face, and brush my teeth. I started getting ready so early a few months ago because I would put Eleanor down, get ready, and then go in to check on her and make sure she fell asleep. Now she goes to sleep without any problems, so I could probably start pushing this part of my day back, but it’s kind of nice to relax in my pajamas!

A Day in the Life

7:30 – I put that basket of laundry away that was on the chair downstairs.

7:45 – Brandon and I looked at a few jackets for him online and he reminded me that I needed to get back to someone via email. Back to work for a while.

9:00 – I’m sleepy! No, I can stay up a little longer. *yawn* I’ve finished up my work, so Brandon and I hang out on the couch, watching TV and chatting. I had to move someone out of my seat.

A Day in the Life

10:15 – OK, now we’re both sleepy. Good night!

113 Responses to “A Day in the Life”

1. Alisa April 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm #

This was such a great post! Your life seems well-organized, peaceful & idyllic. I would have liked to see a photo or two from your & E’s little walk-adventure outdoors.

2. Julie April 1, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

That first picture of you is stunning! Best of you I’ve ever seen. I have a 10 month old son so it is really fun to see how your days pass as compared to mine. Thanks.

3. Nuit April 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

This post was so fun!! thank you for sharing!!! I love Eleanor’s smile, so adorable! xo

4. Tra Knox April 1, 2010 at 1:34 pm #

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your day with us! Always,always and inspiration!! x

5. Licia April 1, 2010 at 2:10 pm #

I love this post. Thank you for sharing your day with us. I loved seeing how your home is throughout the day!

6. Lisamarie April 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm #

I am trying to decorate my recently purchased condo and always come to your blog for ideas! I love the containers you have on your kitchen counter with fruit painted on them and a little bird on top! Can you please advise where you purchased them? Thank you in advance!

7. Tamsin April 1, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

it’s always wonderful to be able to peek in someone’s life that you follow on the web, it makes it seem more personable… so thank you for that…
    i have a quick question (you might have already done it), i was going through some of your older blogs and saw your kitchen curtains that you hand made and is being held with a tension rod…well i wanted to see if you can find time to do a step by step on how to make those beautiful ribbon curtains… i am in need of the exact thing for our kitchen curtains…. thanks for any help you can give…

8. lucy April 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

your hair is so awesome. i actually love the faded color.

9. Kristi @ Visible Voice April 1, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

That was super fun. And this is why I love peeks into peoples lives. It’s the day to day that I always wonder how people do things. Really fun to see.

10. Sarah April 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

Sounds like a full day! I love your blog. Random question…I saw your picts of your adorable nursery. Where did you find the pink toy basket? I am looking for something similar for the nursery I am currently putting together. Baby girl due in May!

11. Jenna April 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm #

I love this post. I am always interested in how others spend their day. Also, you are gorgeous and I love your hair. I want the cut.

12. jessica April 1, 2010 at 6:33 pm #

Thanks for the peek!

20 minute recipes are a scam, I swear. As are the (infamous) 30-minute meals. I’m pretty sure they’re only 30 minutes if you have about 6 go-go-gadget arms.

13. Natalie April 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm #

Thank you for sharing your day with us!

What a blessing to be able to stay at home with your little girl.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter weekend! :)

14. Pencils April 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm #

You left out: 6am, changed wet diaper. 8am, changed diaper. 9am, changed dirty diaper. Etc. ;)

Sounds like a nice day. Must be wonderful to be able to stay home with your sweet little girl and also run a business.

15. Tatyana April 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Thanks for sharing your day with us. I’m a little jealous (in a good way) that you get to work from home and spend time with your girl as well as get help…but I’m sure it’s not all as easy as I imagine it.
    I just love your hair and your husband’s tie – where did you/he get it?
    As for the 20-min meals: I think they count the time if you have all the ingredients chopped up and measured (like they show on the cooking shows)… but who has all that stuff prepared and ready aside from the cooking shows?

16. Haley April 2, 2010 at 2:25 am #

Great pictures! I love the more toned down strawberry blonde your hair is now, it really suits you.

I love that zig zag rug so much that I had to buy the same one!

17. peggy April 2, 2010 at 3:00 am #

I like this post. You have a very wonderful life. Imagine if you had to sit in a cubicle for eight hours (like I used to). It’s death. You really don’t work all that many hours, so you must be working smartly. I envy you that.

I am always amazed that you look so chic and put together. Since I’ve been working from home, I look like a slob. I’m going to change that though. Makeup really makes me feel better. I’d been wondering how it was that you always had pretty makeup clothes and your hair done. I see it’s because you have three hours before you start work. I had trouble putting on makeup when I was in an office because I always had to rush out the door. It doesn’t seem that you are rushing at all. It’s not that your day is not full, it just doesn’t seem chaotic. This is a much healthier lifestyle, we could all learn from.

The other thing I am always wondering about is the source of your happiness. You always seem so happy. I admire that. Do you think your life is going so well (great career, home, husband, etc.) because you are happy? Or are you happy because you have such a great life? I’m just wondering, have you always been a naturally happy person?

Thanks so much for sharing. I really enjoyed this post.

18. Jenny April 2, 2010 at 8:11 am #

What a cute picture of you and Eleanor! And I really like your hair color in that one, much better than the bright orange actually.

19. Amanda April 2, 2010 at 11:16 am #

This is such a cute post.

I’m definitely with Jenny on this one, I enjoy and thinks your hair (in the first picture) suits you so much better then (say in your “about me” picture) it definitely looks to be more natural.

20. Amanda April 2, 2010 at 11:25 am #

OH by the way, where on earth did you get those adorable pajamas?

21. Brandy Bell April 2, 2010 at 11:59 am #

Sounds like a lovely and productive day. I’m jealous of how much Eleanor gets to sleep. How come grown-ups don’t get naps?

22. A Merry Mishap April 2, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

Wow, I have got to get myself and Israel on a better schedule! 6 am? How early?!

23. Kenziepoo April 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Inspiring! Thanks for sharing your daily schedule with us!

24. Aaron Greenwood [female] April 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

I think that was such a neat thing to see. I also think it would be lovely if you featured a day in the life regularly of other multi-tasking mommies :)

25. dv April 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

thanks for sharing this =) your hair looks like it’s getting lighter (almost blondish). is it the lighting? or did you lighten it?

26. Emily Barefoot April 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm #

If you go back to brown hair I might have to quit reading your blog. You are a fly mamacita with that red hair!! I love the fade too.
    Get it girl!!

27. Seleta April 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm #

This was impressive. I could learn to be much more efficient from you. Sounds like you might be a virgo. ;-)

28. Mary Jo April 2, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

this sounds like my life! minus the cool business…i’m taking pictures of my little one which are similiar to your monthly ones of E. have you thought how you’re going to compile them at the end of the month?

29. Erin April 2, 2010 at 11:37 pm #

Okay, I’m seriously jealous! My son took 45 min to nurse and did so every 2 hours- so I’d only have 1 & 15 minutes or so between feedings- and that lasted until he was almost 10 months old! And he didn’t sleep more than a 3 hour stretch at night until he was 17 months old. Ugh! I love him to bits and bits but would have loved to have gotten him on a schedule like yours. I would have been a much happier mommy that first year! You are so inspiring!

30. Amber April 3, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

I so miss the business of raising children. Exhausted but fulfilled, there is nothing like it. Savor this, it ends far too soon.
    Now I am sure you are a fabulous cook, but girl you have got to eat real tomatoes. From the garden, vine ripe, red and juicy, the ones that smell of sunshine.

31. justme April 3, 2010 at 5:28 pm #

I just love your blog- this was great!

32. Christina April 4, 2010 at 2:08 pm #

Hiya…

I just want to say how proud I am of you for nursing. I know, I know, not much from an anonymous stranger. I nursed my son till he was 18 months, and I cried when the final day came. If you can get through the tough times, it is so rewarding. I feel like it’s a dying art and I resent the cow powder companies. I know it’s for people who have trouble latching on, but I sometimes think people are just lazy.

Here’s a useful tidbit: I always knew nursing would be good for developing baby’s allergies, but I found out at teacher training (about the brain) that every time mum kisses baby or touches them, they pick up the germs that are on baby, then the mum’s antibodies are tailor-made for baby’s germs and put in the breast milk. I thought it was interesting and I hope you do too.

I know it can be tough, but it looks like you have a fabulous life and are very lucky. I know we’re glad you can be a mum and keep feeding US stylish posts. Wow – timetabling your shower. I wish I had done that… built it into routine. I was a zombie and barely took care of myself. But you are much more organized than I’ll ever be.

You’re a supermum!
    Take care…. Christina

33. Dani April 4, 2010 at 4:37 pm #

Hi! I have a suggestion for Eleanor not taking her second nap…..I have two kids who were EXCELLENT sleepers and when each of them stopped taking their afternoon nap I decided to try to move them to a one nap a day schedule. It took about a week but that seemed to be what needed. I just kept moving there early nap up by 30 minutes. Eventually, rather than taking two short naps they took one long nap. It was great! They slept for about 3 hours (11-2) and I got so much work done!

34. Desiree Fawn April 5, 2010 at 12:14 am #

Awe, so fun! I love this little glimpse into your life!

35. Anja April 5, 2010 at 5:55 am #

hey- your hair changed to orange. I like it.
    And Eleanor´s eyes are exactly like yours! So cute!

So you enjoyed taking pictures throughout the day? You can have it every month. Do you know 12 of 12? Take a look:

and there are some lovely ladies in Germany take part every month:

Sometimes it´s funny, sometimes it´s beautiful, sometimes boring- just like days sometimes are.

36. Brooke April 5, 2010 at 11:30 am #

I love this post… your family is so cute!

37. Frances April 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

Hmm..Erika may have the best job ever!

38. Piper April 5, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

I loved reading this post! It was so cool to get a peek inside a day in your life…what a great idea, I think I may need to do this :) It would be cool to record a day via pictures. btw, eleanor is such a cutie!! and your house looks great with the fact that you’re home and have a baby! i wish i had an excuse :)

39. Sylvia April 6, 2010 at 7:01 am #

This is such a cute post! I never comment but I just had this overwhelming need to add to the showers of praise with my own inane comment. :)

40. sarah April 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm #

Nicole,

This was an interesting post, it was fun to hear about a day for a Mom that owns her own biz, does it from home and still has to take care of a child. Thanks for sharing.

41. cristina April 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm #

wow!!! bellissima !!! mamma e figlia stupende !!!

cristina

42. Kristen April 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm #

I enjoyed reading your post! I noticed the 2 books you have in one of your photos. Did you get to read them and if so, how were they? Right now I’m reading “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer. Maybe you’d like it. I’ve heard a lot of great things about it. Thanks for all your wonderful blog entries! Eleanor is beautiful by the way.

43. Joy April 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks for sharing this! My little lady is 10 months old and still nurses about every two hours during the day, it’s nice to see that I’m not alone.

44. Megan April 14, 2010 at 3:19 pm #

It’s so nice seeing someone else who is nursing! My daughter is 10 months and she nurses so often during the day too! Hope it continues to go well for you!

45. Ashpea April 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

Best post! I love learning about the average day of people, especially those who look like they have it all put together!

46. Anna April 18, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

I love your “new” hair Nicole. It really suits you. Thanks for sharing your day with us. My 11 month old nurses frequently too (including at night still)…it is nice to know that this is normal from a mum who doesn’t pretend. :) Thank you.

47. Mandy May 4, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

Are You My Mother? was my favorite book when I was little. :) Eleanor is adorable! What fun, special times she gets to have with you!

1. The Editor’s April Favorites « TodaysMama - May 1, 2010

[...] A Day in the Life from Nicole Balch of Making It Lovely. We share similar schedules…only she looks super fab. Me – not so much. Comforting nonetheless. [...]