Ride it Out

Brandon and I tend to gravitate toward very different toys for Eleanor. Take this for example…

I thought this little wooden walker (A) was so cute. I imagined Eleanor toddling around with it, blocks and stuffed animals in the compartment. I even bought one and painted it pink! Adorable.

A few days ago, Brandon brought this Lil’ Princess Ride On (B) home. All plastic, with flashing lights and various sounds at the push of a button.

Guess which one the baby prefers.

69 Responses to “Ride it Out”

1. Meghan April 26, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

Hang in there. My daughter (whose name is also Eleanor!) is 18 months and received that Ikea cart from my parents for her birthday. She was slow to warm up to it, but now it’s a staple in her play. She especially loves to sit in it and have her big brother push her around ;) Your Eleanor will probably tire of the bells and whistles on the other car (especially if you don’t replace the batteries when they die!) but the simple cart will be so much more versitile for so much longer.

2. Nicole April 27, 2010 at 10:48 am #

That is too funny!

3. Erin April 28, 2010 at 2:21 pm #

What a lively discussion! While I totally agree with almost everything here, I think balance and perspective are key. I, too, fed my kids organic homemade baby foods, bought wooden toys, played classical music, kept the tv off, etc. You can only keep your kids away from the commercial stuff for so long, but it’s so prevalent in our society that there is no way to shield them 100 percent! At some point, after a playdate at someone’s house where they watch cartoons, eat candy and hang out in a spiderman themed bedroom, it will be all over! I used to get all bent out of shape about my son’s new preferences, but I’ve realized that such is life and it will always be like that. Even when they grow up they will have to sift through all of the low-grade things our world has to offer and hopefully choose quality friends, activities, and food for themselves and their loved ones. We did!

4. Sixty- Fifth Avenue May 7, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

We bought our daughter a Wheely Bug
    http://www.wheelybug.com/ for her first birthday. I did a lot of research on it and I have to say it is one of the best toys she has. Now she is 4 and it looks brand new and it has been very well loved. First she used it as a walker until she was able to ride it. Ladybug will always be special to us! I can’t say enough about it.

5. M August 27, 2010 at 9:46 am #

I feel your pain. We bought our daughter the little ikea wagon also, which she loves & which also helped her start walking. Shortly after my mom decided to get her a plastic mower. I did’nt even let her see it. Plastic toys are almost always made in China & often contain lead. Aside from being incredibly hideous they can be dangerous.

6. Nina November 29, 2010 at 8:17 am #

As walkers and ride-on toys go, I agree with the previous comment about WheelyBugs. We bought our first born son the Bumble Bee one from http://www.designerark.co.uk/category/19/Wheelybugs and it is still going strong after a whole year of bumps and crashes in our home and into ourselves!