Urban Chairs

Did you notice our backyard patio among the pictures from Eleanor’s birthday party? Just in case you missed it, here it is again.

Eleanor's First Birthday Party

We were able to get four of the chairs through Craigslist (thanks to some helpful readers!), and we picked up the other four Urban chairs at IKEA. They’re working out nicely.

36 Responses to “Urban Chairs”

1. Cheryl May 25, 2010 at 9:46 am #

love that egg chair and your shrubs! also love that lounge chair you posted yesterday from Restoration Hardware on pin it forward. I would live in that lounge, so much for working again!

2. Liz @ Bon Temps Beignet May 25, 2010 at 9:46 am #

I love your egg/pod/whatever-you-call-it chair! Now, if I could only win the lottery, I could make my back yard as pretty as yours.

3. bJACKSON May 25, 2010 at 9:48 am #

Are the Urban chairs staying white after being outside in the sun? Ikea could not confirm the color stability, so I am curious if the white will turn yellow and if the orange and green versions will fade. Nice patio design! Looks like a great place to relax!

• Making it Lovely May 25, 2010 at 10:02 am #

They’re getting a little dirty, but they aren’t yellowing at all.

4. Katie May 25, 2010 at 9:59 am #

I love the look!! Are the chairs fairly weather resistant!? We need a new patio set, and are looking at a table that can be made longer or shorter from Ikea (looks similar to the one you have) is yours from Ikea? Our chairs right now are cheapies, a quick fix so we could enjoy the deck :-)

5. HollyP May 25, 2010 at 9:59 am #

Lovely! What kind of pavers did you use for the patio?

• Making it Lovely May 25, 2010 at 10:00 am #

They’re cement. We got them at The Home Depot and put them in ourselves.

• Valerie May 25, 2010 at 10:14 am #

I can’t believe you guys installed those pavers yourself. I’m in awe :)

Did you ever write up how you did it? Maybe some tips and tricks? I’d love to install my own patio, but am totally overwhelmed by the process. And really, just unsure how to do it.

It looks wonderful!

• Making it Lovely May 25, 2010 at 10:18 am #

I never did a full recap, but I talked about it a bit after we finished.

6. Mandy Ford May 25, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Love the chairs – what a great space!

7. Cheryl May 25, 2010 at 10:27 am #

question related to orbit chair you have: has anyone looked at and purchased the Outdoor Crazy Chair at Pier 1 (a version of the orbit shape from Crate and Barrel which is no longer available). The website item address is:

or the Wicker Stackable Outdoor Chair from Pier 1:

Durable, comfortable? Thanxs muchly for your input.

8. Rachel @ La Bella Bungalow May 25, 2010 at 10:36 am #

Everything looks fantastic Nicole! And I LOVE the egg chair!

~Rachel~

9. Camila F. May 25, 2010 at 10:44 am #

Hi Nicole! I just sent you an invitation to an art swap! I hope you like it!

♥, Camila

10. alison (semi-fab lane) May 25, 2010 at 10:50 am #

this backyard is amazing! i am turning green as we speak:) great inspiration! where did you snatch that egg chair from?

11. Tory May 25, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Oh, how I wish for a little outdoor space in summer. Yours is wonderful. How did the egg chair handle the brutal midwest winter? Or did you store it indoors?

12. Jenny May 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm #

LOVE your backyard – fabulous!!!

13. Licia May 25, 2010 at 12:09 pm #

Your backyard looks beautiful. We’re working on ours so we can enjoy it during the warm weather months. I like how you set the table runners. I have a long and wide table and I’ve never found a tablecloth that can cover it, but this idea is much prettier.

14. Jelena May 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm #

I like those chairs, and they are comfy, but ever since I saw them, I always think of a small child falling through the back :( Have anyone had this thought or is it just me?

15. Jenny May 25, 2010 at 12:32 pm #

Oh those are so nifty :D I’ve never seen anything like that. Well maybe I have but they were… wood. And not exactly like that. I can has some? xD

16. Carolyn May 25, 2010 at 2:46 pm #

That looks so wondey…you make me a bit jeally!

17. Kelley@thehiddenlist.com May 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm #

Your backyard looks so pretty and green! Much “cooler looking” than my Texas yard that we struggle to keep green amidst the Texas heat!

18. gina May 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm #

Aww it looks great! love how clean and fresh it looks :)

ps hows the bedroom comming along?

19. Carmie of the Single Nester May 25, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Where did you get that wicker bucket chair from and do you cover it when it rains?

20. jbhat May 25, 2010 at 5:59 pm #

I want to come over for some spiked lemonade. Love it out there!

jbhat

21. drollgirl May 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

it looks FANTASTIC!!! just lovely! and i wish i was hanging out there right now!

22. Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself May 25, 2010 at 8:12 pm #

Amazing! I vote the next blogger get together is in your backyard!! Haha

23. lifebeginsatthirty May 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

Looks great!!! I am trying to put together a patio set for my backyard and this is serious inspiration!

Do you have two tables put together?

Are the chairs even remotely comfortable? They look great with the set but I worry about them being uncomfortable.

Thanks!

24. Adventures In Babywearing May 25, 2010 at 11:23 pm #

I’m still so in love with your egg chair. Sigh.

Steph

25. michelle @ pretty mommy May 26, 2010 at 8:18 pm #

Your backyard is fantastic!! I’m inspired to go clean mine up now :)

26. Kalee May 27, 2010 at 9:05 am #

This looks amazing! So inviting and relaxing!

27. Ashley J May 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

I am loving your backyard. If I knew you I would be wishing you would invite me over.
    Is it horrible that I the first thing that comes to mind when I see your egg chair is spiders? I’ve seen black widows all over my town (3 in my house before we sprayed)and I would never be able to relax in an egg chair in MY backyard. Damn spiders!

28. CommaHappy May 30, 2010 at 11:35 am #

Looks inviting! The Urban chairs turned out great with the table. How stable are they? My worry is having guests feel wobbly on my tiny chairs. :) I remember sitting on these at IKEA but can’t remember my verdict.

I also love that they are stackable… makes it easy to have 8 chairs!

29. Kate May 30, 2010 at 12:01 pm #

What a lovely yard you’ve created. It’s so inviting. Did you shoot the photo from a second floor window? Good angle!

1. Social Space Makeover Contest | Making it Lovely - June 6, 2011

[...] and I did this backyard patio makeover on our own (manual labor and all), but every post about makeovers could use a little inspiration! [...]

2. Deck Mood Board | Teal and Lime - August 22, 2011