I’m Going In

I may not make it back out for a few hours… at least. This is item #12 on my 30 Before Thirty list: organize the catch-all closet in my office. Don’t you love how you can’t even see the floor? Wish me luck.

I'm Going In

Notable contents:

• giant styrofoam ball
  • argyle dog sweater vest
  • every issue of Domino and Blueprint
  • IKEA catalogs dating back to 2002
  • five rolls of vintage wallpaper
  • acoustic guitar
  • my wedding dress
  • empty boxes to be recycled
  • embroidered Serge Gainsbourg pillow
  • vintage 50s fur coat that was given to me over a decade ago but that I have never, ever worn and probably never will because I feel weird in it

68 Responses to “I’m Going In”

1. Debra July 15, 2010 at 9:38 am #

Nicole you’re so funny! I hope you eventually emerged! I am sure when next we see your “catch all” it will be beautifully arranged as is every other part of your home. Those catch-all beasts need taming or they can get so out of hand. I know!

2. Grace July 15, 2010 at 10:19 am #

oooooo! Organizing closets is my favorite household chore. I am moving back to my hometown this month and I am planning on re-organizing two of my moms closets. I can’t wait. I look forward to seeing the after photos. That coat sounds awesome!

3. Lisa July 15, 2010 at 10:50 am #

Oh my God, I am so happy to see that you do have spaces in your home like this. Gives me hope!

4. Robin July 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I wish I had known there was a market for Domino and Blueprint, I gave all mine to Goodwill in a fit of spring cleaning. :-(

5. Sabrina July 15, 2010 at 1:55 pm #

I, too, have saved all of my Domino and Blueprint magazines. I didn’t have every issue as you do, though. *sigh* Its so sad they both went under! If you’re anything like me, you’ll hold onto them so you can flip through them whenever you have “magazine sorrow”.

6. alana July 15, 2010 at 6:29 pm #

i PINE for that pillow. please tell me you’re going to clean out your closet and put it on ebay?

7. Christine July 15, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

My mom had some old furs of my grandmothers. She had someone turn them into teddy bears. They are decorative. You may want to think about reusing your old furs that way.

8. Condo Blues July 15, 2010 at 9:22 pm #

I got a relative’s vintage fur. I wore it once as part of my Mommy Dearest Halloween costume and caught all sorts of trouble for wearing fur. I haven’t worn it since.

9. Bonnie July 16, 2010 at 7:12 am #

It’s no competition–my closet is far, far messier than yours. Not only can you not see the floor, you can’t see the walls or the ceiling!! I’m hacking away at it.

Best,
    Bonnie

10. Béa July 16, 2010 at 11:39 am #

feeling less alone and ashamed all of a sudden :-)

11. Rorie July 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm #

I will totally take that serge pillow off your hands. Name your price, girl! ;-)

12. Lauren July 18, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

This reminds me of Monica’s ‘secret closet’ on Friends! How much worse did it have to get before it got better? Well done!

13. Holyoke Home July 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Whoa. I’m feeling a little better about the precarious pile of clothes I leave on any surface upstairs. Don’t throw away the Dominos or Blueprints!!!!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » Still Organizing the Closet - July 15, 2010

[...] « I’m Going In [...]

2. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » My Wedding Dress - July 16, 2010

[...] a few of you have asked to see my wedding dress because I mentioned that it was hanging in the closet I’ve been organizing. Not being one to disappoint, here it [...]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » My Organized Office Closet - July 23, 2010

[...] the catch-all closet in my office was one of the tasks on my 30 Before Thirty list (item number [...]