MiY 5d: Reading Nook

James and Eugenia, our fictional couple with exceptionally good taste in furniture, have just moved to Chicago! They have a long but wide hallway in their new place that they’re setting up as a mini-library. They don’t have a ton of space, so the small scale of the mid-century rocker chair is perfect for a little reading nook.

Bookshelves with glass doors line the wall (the same bookshelves we have in our hallway library), and a glossy black floor lamp illuminates the area. The walls are painted a charming blue-green, and there isn’t enough room for a full rug but a graphic black and white runner works perfectly here. The apartment has a nice lived-in feel, so books are always scattered on the little side tables along with a few coffee mugs that hadn’t made their way to the kitchen yet. Eugenia also likes to keep a blanket (in orange, James’ favorite color) over the arm of the chair in case she gets cold.

James and Eugenia have a spare room that they thought they’d setup as an office, but it looks like they’ll be turning it into a nursery instead! We’ll see that room next time in the final look for this edition of Making it Yours.

21 Responses to “MiY 5d: Reading Nook”

1. Holly Marie Gibbs July 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm #

I’ve always adored those Pantone mugs. They’re just so great.

2. Kathy July 19, 2010 at 12:21 pm #

I am a little concerned that James and Eugenia are moving way too fast in this relationship…however their apartment is fabulous!

• luuve July 20, 2010 at 8:24 am #

hahahahaha!

• Making it Lovely July 20, 2010 at 10:06 am #

Does it help if I say that a few years have passed? ;)

3. Two Lovely Spaces July 19, 2010 at 12:36 pm #

Love the side table. I had a problem with that Kulla floor lamp, though. Mine kept making this buzzing noise so I took it back. It is beautiful, though!!

4. Danielle July 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm #

I have been eye balling those little tables for awhile now…

5. Paula/adhocmom July 19, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

I have the billy bookcases and they are awesome. The glass doors are KEY. People are always really surprised they are from Ikea.

6. Keatley & Co. July 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

Ah, I love those Pantone mugs. Awesome. Those tables are lovely too. Found a little hallway table that somebody put out as trash last week. Will sand it down and paint it first, but it was a really nice little thing.

7. Cindy July 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm #

I love this look! And I wish I had a hallway like that to set up as a reading nook.

8. Shrie >> Lo & Behold July 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm #

I’ve always loved the nerdiness of the Pantone mugs, and that rocker is just rad!

9. Two Lovely Spaces July 19, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Nicole, this is totally unrelated to james and Eugenia, but I know you adore red and I just had a mani/pedi with the best shade of nail polish I have seen in years. It’s OPI “Vodka and Caviar” Very candy-apple w/ 2 coats!

Just tought I’d share.

10. Jacinta July 19, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

WOW! I love the library idea… and those bookcases look great considering they’re from ikea!

11. Laurie July 20, 2010 at 12:27 am #

I really like the looks of the bookcases!!!! Wish I had an Ikea here!!!

12. nicole July 20, 2010 at 1:16 am #

this instantly reminded me of you! <3

*xo…

• Making it Lovely July 20, 2010 at 10:05 am #

Love it! That would actually go really well in James’ and Eugenia’s library. :)

13. Redlilocks July 20, 2010 at 3:15 am #

Love the colour combination – it’s not too masculine or too dark and still manages to look casually sophisticated.

14. Catherine @ waking up with you July 20, 2010 at 5:05 am #

That rug! I love it.

15. luuve July 20, 2010 at 8:24 am #

this looks really classic…yet super cozy…

16. Bethany Joy July 20, 2010 at 11:16 am #

I love the Billy bookcases. Thinking about replacing my Expedits with white Billys since they are not as deep and much taller. My Expedits are in my blog photo. WDYT?

17. Traveling Mama July 25, 2010 at 8:51 am #

I thought of you the other day. We went to a Danish flea market in Copenhagen that was 4000 sq meters overflowing with 50’s and 60’s furniture. A rocking chair like the one above was less than $100 and I saw the COOLEST sofa that was in perfect condition for even less! At one corner there was almost a “chair graveyard” that must have been 20 feet high of retro Danish chairs tossed about like junk. I wanted to save them all! :-)

If you are interested I wrote about it on Traveling Tribe and posted some pics. Next time I go I will try to take some more photos!

Hope you have a great week!

1. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » MiY 5e: Little Boy’s Room - July 28, 2010

[...] few years have passed since we last checked in on James and Eugenia, the fictional couple in this edition of Making it Yours. James’ [...]