I crafted three modern pumpkin lanterns for my third Better Homes & Gardens project. I painted them in various metallics, and all three are hot pink on the inside. The pumpkins are cute during the daytime, but because I painted the insides they have an amazing pink glow when they’re lit at night!
Please take a moment to vote for your favorite pumpkin project at bhg.com. And here’s how you can create your own modern pumpkin lanterns:
- faux crafter’s pumpkins
- craft paint (I used hot pink, bronze, gold, and silver)
- 1″ foam brush
- small flameless candles
- x-acto knife or heated cutting tool
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the pumpkin large enough to fit your hand inside.
- Carve circles (or desired shapes) into the pumpkin.
- Paint the inside. I used two coats of hot pink paint, which gives the pumpkin a pretty pink glow when lit.
- Paint the outside. Each pumpkin took three coats of metallic paint.
- Place the pumpkin over a flameless candle to illuminate it.
Vote for Your Favorite Pumpkin Project
You can vote every day until Sunday for your favorite pumpkin project at bhg.com. Next week I’ll share the fourth and final BHG project: my front porch, decorated for Halloween!