Our Laundry Room

I showed you the final design plan already, but now I can finally show you the finished room!

Making it Lovely's Laundry Room

The red washer and dryer that we bought when we moved in look better than they ever have, but I think it’s the giant utility sink and double faucets that make the space.

Large Utility Sink in the Laundry Room

That’s pretty much my dream sink and if we ever leave this house, it would be one of the things I’d miss most. I have a little plant (cyclamen) in the window, and a gray and white striped towel hangs from a red hook to the right.

A plant sits in the window above the utility sink.

A grey and white towel hangs from a red hook.

There are still things I’d like to do. I’d like to replace our rickety drying rack and hang a clothes rail from the wall or ceiling. I’d like to find some cute laundry baskets instead of the cheap plastic ones we’ve had forever. There are a few touches that I really like though, like the art. The droplets print from Summersville brings in some color and pattern, and I love that it’s screenprinted on fabric. It’s perfect for the laundry room.

Art and Accessories in the Laundry Room

I have to say, I think this room may have made me a ‘blue’ convert. It’s not normally a color that I like to use, but the laundry room is so cheery and fresh. That octagon tile makes me happy too. And three cheers for an old-fashioned swinging door! It makes me think of my grandmother’s kitchen.

The Basement Laundry Room

It’s nice to have a non-scary place to do laundry.

111 Responses to “Our Laundry Room”

1. Nat@ dear little house April 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm #

I totally love those tiles! I’m trying to decide on tiling my bathroom at the moment, are they difficult to keep clean due to all the grout?

• Making it Lovely April 20, 2011 at 10:06 am #

No, the tiles are easy to clean. I think it helps that we used dark grout. White may have been a different story.

2. The Ravenna Girls April 19, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

It turned out beautifully, well done! Blue and Red has always been one of my go-to color combos, glad to see a new embrace of it :)

3. Tanya from Dans le Townhouse April 19, 2011 at 6:23 pm #

I think I might like pale blue more now, too. I love the accessories you chose for the room – so perfect. And I covet your washing machine.

4. Emmmylizzzy April 19, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

Wowzers! If I had a room like this I might actaully want to do the laundry! I just love it all – the blue, the tiles, the pop of red from the washer. You should do this for a living :)

5. Christy April 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Aww Man! I love everything about it!
    Completely cute, and doesn’t feel at all like a laundry room-good job!

6. Your Mother April 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm #

Love that you remember grandma Rose’s swinging door :). I think I’ll come do my laundry at your house from now on – how pleasant it would be. Love the room.

7. Krista of Hopeless Chest April 19, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

This is absolutely fantastic. I LOVE the colour combo and the tiles.

8. Connie April 19, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

You’ve inspired me.

9. Lori April 19, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

I am pale blue and red with envy. It is a lovely room and you have inspired me. I am going to find ways to make my laundry room a non-scary place to do laundry. I so get what you mean by that… Why shouldn’t laundry rooms be lovely indeed!!

10. Natalie April 19, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

This looks fabulous! The pale blue/red combo is so light and refreshing. And I LOVE the swinging door ~ GENIUS for a laundry room!

Well done! :)

11. Cathy April 19, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

wow, that is a beautiful laundry room! i love how tranquil in looks in there…

12. charity April 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

Perfect! I love your style. It looks so cherry and artistic yet peaceful. What a great combination.

13. emma April 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm #

i heart red

14. Sonja April 19, 2011 at 10:30 pm #

Cheers! To a beautiful space, and job well done! Very impressive with two munchkins under the age of two!

15. Becky April 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm #

Beautiful room. I hope your Cyclamen lasts longer than ours! We had a very needy one….but its flowers sure are pretty.

• Making it Lovely April 20, 2011 at 10:09 am #

I hope it lasts! I’ve had it for a month or so now. There were pink flowers (very pretty, yes), but they have since dropped off.

16. Marcia V. of Precious Style April 19, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

Now I want a laundry room with a swinging door! My Gramma too has one in her kitchen with a window for seeing in and out. I always thought it was a pity that it was propped open most of the time and had a curtain on it.

17. Aprill April 20, 2011 at 5:57 am #

Beautiful job! I’d love doing laundry in your laundry room. I really love the red washer and dryer. Much more interesting than my boring white ones.

18. erin April 20, 2011 at 6:47 am #

it looks great! and i’m so glad to read that you may now be a “blue” convert. i never liked blue, but decided to paint our kitchen/dining area a slate color. ever since, i find myself gravitating towards blue paint. it’s weird- i still don’t consider blue a favorite color, but for walls it really seems to work. :)

19. Mandi April 20, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Love it all! Am also not a blue fan, but your laundry room is selling me. I have that W/D set in white, and am kind of sorry I did that now :-D.

I have this rack from Target, and I love, love, love it. It might be a bit large for the space, but the fact that it rolls around means you can push it back against the wall. I hang-dry a great deal of our stuff, way more than I used to without it. And with a nod to design, I have matching hangers that only live on that rack :-D. (…and also, nobody can steal hangers from my Drying System of Awesome, and play innocent lol!)

The swinging door is tops, that’s freaking brilliant. Gotta use that myself someday.

20. Sasha April 20, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Congratulations! I know how wonderful it feels to finally “finish” a room. It looks lovely. Enjoy!

21. Melissa April 20, 2011 at 9:52 am #

That turned out amazing!! Lucky girl

22. samsonizzle April 20, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Congrats! Your drying rack isn’t nearly as rickety as ours, which was snatched from the side of the road once upon a time. I recently discovered it was the culprit of a few small holes in some of my favorite sweaters (a vintage one belonging once to my great aunt, a charmer from J. Crew, and even the little one I wore on our wedding day). A little bit of chipping paint on one of the bars made for a sharp spot which caused snagging. Ironic was the fact that a free drying rack caused who-knows-how-many dollars worth of damage (not including sentimental value) and was mended by a mere one-inch piece of masking tape. Ah, to have a dedicated laundry room with a built-in drying rack! Do share what you get if/when you end up updating your drying rack and laundry baskets. I’m thinking of getting a few of these http://www.containerstore.com/shop/laundry/baskets?utm_term=k140111&utm_medium=affiliate&productId=10007286&utm_source=google myself, as they’ll be easy to tuck away in our tiny laundry-room-less apartment when not in use.

23. jennifer April 20, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Congrats Nicole!! It looks AWESOME! :) I’m drooling over your washer and dryer…

24. ArticulateArt April 20, 2011 at 11:02 am #

It looks quite lovely!!! Love that the door’s a light blue!

25. Holly April 20, 2011 at 11:20 am #

I saw a pin over on pinterest where they hung a blue painted ladder from the ceiling (pot rack style) and used that for hanging clothes – so cute! If I find it again, I’ll send it your way!

26. Kerry @ First Time Fancy April 20, 2011 at 11:32 am #

I LOVE IT! It looks so fantastic – so bright! I do a round up every friday of my favorites from blog land… this will 100% be in it this week! :)

27. kasey at girl in the gray house April 20, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

it looks great, i always seem to be attracted to blue and green walls.

28. Paula/adhocmom April 20, 2011 at 3:59 pm #

I love light blue and red. Very inspiring. I have a horrifying laundry room. . but the thing is it’s my first ever laundry room, so the fact that I can actually do laundry in MY HOUSE is pretty amazing. We’ll get there.

29. Wendi April 20, 2011 at 9:28 pm #

I never liked blue either… until I became a mother of boys! Really, it seems that I love blue now. In fact, I just painted my bedroom Moody Blue by Sherwin Williams and have a smattering of blues throughout the house.

30. Molly April 21, 2011 at 12:33 am #

I, too, am afraid of scary laundry rooms, but yours look good enough to have a party in! Congrats on the finished room! :)

31. CandyK April 21, 2011 at 8:07 am #

Wow – delicious!
    I’m over here in Australia and we can’t get Red washing machines! They look fab. I think a big nice laundry is such a wondeful thing to have – you don’t mind spending time in there washing your smalls!

I was going to suggest this product for your clothesline – I have one and it is fabulous – when not in use it folds back into the wall and is hardly visible… But I see on their website they are no longer making them. Maybe there is something similar in the states…

32. Shelley April 21, 2011 at 9:08 am #

First off, I love your blog! Thank you so much for doing this! When I first found it I think I read back through pretty much the whole thing, in one night :)

I have a question for you though, about your basement windows. We are about to move into an old house with older and large basement windows. We would like to someday finish the basement, so we are debating whether or not we want to put in glass block windows. I hate the thought of losing such a large opening for air flow and light, but like the safety and efficiency of glass block. I’m wondering how you feel about yours and if you left one window that opens for emergency exiting?

Thanks again for having such a great blog!

• Making it Lovely April 21, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

We didn’t need an emergency exit through the windows because we have a door that opens to the exterior through the laundry room (the blue one). I’m not nuts about glass block windows either, but ours have a vent in the center of each to still allow for some air flow.

33. Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com April 21, 2011 at 9:46 am #

Cutest laundry room ever.

34. whorange April 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

The droplets art is awesome. Where is it from?

35. ellen patton April 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

I’m SO jealous of your cool laundry room. I have to use the laundromat in my condo building. It’s nice being able to do 3 loads at once, I must admit. And, I’ve got a RED retro refrigerator – hooray for red appliances!

36. Jillian April 22, 2011 at 9:54 am #

That is the loveliest laundry room! I am officially jealous. But I am even more jealous of the red clock you have shown. I am, on what feels like, a forever search for a clock much like that one. May I ask where you got it?

37. Mango Furniture April 26, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Very jealous of your fab utility room. The sink is absolutely amazing and those red washer dryers are fantastic.

38. Germaine April 26, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Love the space!! The red and blue looks great! I love blue, greys and reds! Love your style!

39. Jordan July 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Hey, LOVE your laundry room colors (and all the details for that matter!). Is Cumulous Cloud the color you ended up going with on the walls?

• Making it Lovely July 27, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Yes, but color matched to Benjamin Moore it turned out to be “Whirlpool.”

40. Nick March 6, 2013 at 2:07 pm #

In the first picture, where is the table from? Link? Thanks!