78 April 19, 2012

Train Party Invitations (Free Printable)

We’re having a party for Eleanor’s third birthday soon. She loves trains, and while searching google images for “Little Golden Books Trains”, I came across The Train to Timbuctoo by Margaret Wise Brown, with illustrations by Art Seiden.

It was originally published in 1951 and though it is now out of print, it’s easy enough to find used copies for sale. I ordered one from eBay (a first edition copy!) with plans to use some of the illustrations inside for our party invitations. The title page had the perfect layout, so I scanned it, cleaned it up, and based our invitations off of it.

I printed them on cream colored paper and rounded the edges with a corner punch, then paired each invite with a burnt orange envelope.

I’ve created a free blank version, available for download below. You can print them four to a page (the second link has them laid out for you already), and the invitations will fit perfectly in an A2 envelope (like these).

These are for personal, non-commercial use only, falling under the Fair Use Copyright Act.

Laura
    February 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I think I’ll be using these invites for my son’s second birthday party. Thank you.

Weekend Reading | Dee WilcoxDee Wilcox
    April 13, 2013 at 11:21 pm

[…] and there is a particular blue one that we look for every.single.day after school. I think this train birthday invitation on Making it Lovely is a beautiful […]

Eleni
    April 19, 2013 at 9:49 am

Adorable! Thank you for sharing :)

Michelle
    April 22, 2013 at 10:21 am

That’s lovely! Can I ask that what sort of program you use for open this file? I’ve download this one but have no idea how to edit on it.
    Thanks

Michelle
    April 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

That’s lovely!
    Could you tell me what program I need for opening with? I’ve download but can’t type in. Thanks

Marie
    May 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’m so excited to use these. Thanks for setting them up! I can’t seem to be able to edit the font though. When I click on the link it opens in a new window but it won’t let me edit. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Stephanie
    March 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hi There
    I”m using this free pdf (thank you SO much) and love the paper you use but am having so much trouble finding construction paper for laser printers locally. I can find it online (like the link you gave), but it is always too much and shipping is crazy! Any tips? So far the print shops I’ve tried don’t stock construction paper, but say I can bring my own…if I can ever find it!

Alicia
    March 31, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Love this! It’s exactly what I’m looking for, for my son’s 5th bday. This is the third year in a row he STILL wants trains as a theme for his birthday, so this fits perfectly. I don’t suppose you have the image available without any text in the middle…I thought of making a couple other print outs or a post for the front door. I can probably copy it blank ok by covering it up since the background appears white, but but if you happen to have that…I would be so grateful!

robyn
    October 14, 2015 at 7:39 am

Greetings,

I’m in absolute love with your blog, and this adorable invitation!! It is exactly what I had in mind for my son’s birthday, and I would love to use this idea. I’m having difficulty getting it downloaded to my computer in a format which allows me to alter the necessary information. For some reason it just keeps popping up as a picture that I am unable to work with.

I’m not very savvy in this field, so I am wondering if you have any suggestions. I’m using a Mac. And I appreciate any help!

Kind thanks,
    Robyn

Jessica
      October 14, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I too am having the same problem. Any thoughts?

Kimberly
    December 29, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Thanks for the free template! These are awesome! I’m using them for my little girls 2nd birthday party!!!

Jeanette
    January 24, 2016 at 5:11 pm

I want to echo many other grateful moms, and tell you how adorable these invites are! I would really like to use the image for my son’s birthday party in just a couple short weeks (eek! I know I’m behind….being pregnant really wipes me out!). Anyway, I can’t seem to open or download these as anything except jpeg images making it impossible to edit :( Please help me!

Christina
    January 26, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Hi Nicole! When i try to download this adorable invitation it only saves it as a jpeg and not an adobe file. How do I edit it?

Also, what other party decor did you use for her birthday party? This is absolutely adorable!

Thank you!

Satya
    March 31, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Hello! I would love to use these beautiful invitations, but I also do not have software to edit the .jpg file. Do you have a PDF to a version without text that could be hand written?

Bodil Walker
    April 13, 2016 at 12:29 am

Hi! Thank you so much for this invitation it is adorable and perfect for my son’s 2nd birthday.

***To all you posting about how to edit the .jpg file…I put the image in a powerpoint (or keynote for Mac) side and did text over. It worked perfectly. I was even able to edit the font and opacity of the font to match. So it is like fill in style but at least not hand written.***

• 1 2