Style: Stripes and Florals

Stripes and Florals and Polka Dots, Oh My!I’ve been getting a lot of wear out of an old floral skirt I’ve had for years. I would have told you it was about five years old, but a woman spotted me wearing it and exclaimed “I have the same skirt! Ann Taylor, 2004!” So there you go. She said it with conviction, and I’m inclined to believe her.

I pair it with stripes a lot lately — a look that I’ll admit I shamelessly based on a J.Crew window display. That’s probably a lame thing to admit (aren’t bloggers supposed to perpetuate the idea that we pluck our ideas out of the ether?), but a good idea is a good idea no matter the origin. Plus I crazy it up a little by adding polka dots. Or big flowery poof things. And plastic-framed glasses, because I am a typical blogger after all.

Below is a pretty fantastic substitute for my floral skirt. I even picked one up for myself because it’s on sale, and I figured I could use another flowery option to get me through the next eight years.

* photo of me and Jordan by Maia McDonald; all others from my Instagram feed

Style: Stripes and Florals (and a Few Polka Dots Too!)

26 Responses to “Style: Stripes and Florals”

1. Michelle @ Rosy Blu July 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

This post made me laugh, because I’m beginning to think we have VERY similar taste! Last week, I posted that I had a Star Glow plate like yours on sale on my Etsy shop…and now this. I found this same skirt (exact same one, right?) at a thrift shop and picked it up because I loved the colors and pattern so much–but it didn’t fit me, so I made a pillow slipcover to sell on my Etsy shop.

(I swear, I’ll stop posting my Etsy links in your comments now…but I thought you might get a kick out of this one, too!)

2. TieDye64 July 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

Love this! You two look absolutely adorable and chic. It’s so cool to see someone rock their very own personal style.

3. Mary July 3, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

No link for the skirt!

4. mandie July 3, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

SO fun! I’m trying to figure out a pattern to mix with an ikat skirt I made last month. Any ideas, oh master mixer? ;)

5. Evelyn July 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

Love love love. Especially the pink/orange pompom/flower pins.

6. Brave Beltworks July 3, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

Such a great combo!

7. Natalie July 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

I love stripes and florals together – very j.crew! :)

8. patricia July 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

What a pretty skirt!!! I love your Mother’s Day outfit! =)

9. nicole i July 3, 2012 at 9:49 pm #

great outfit.

10. Karen July 3, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I really love your blog. I appreciate your style and the way you share – unassuming and authentic. I really appreciate it. I wish i could pull off that outfit you’re wearing on mother’s day. Cute!

11. Amber July 3, 2012 at 11:46 pm #

Beautiful! I love the combination! I have a ton of stripes, so now I guess I just need to pick up a floral skirt. Seriously killer outfit!

12. Julie Edwards July 4, 2012 at 9:57 am #

Such a happy mix of stripes and florals… love it!

13. Sofia - WinterStays July 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm #

Looks pretty, very chic. Love the polka dot scarf, it would look great with so many outfits.

14. Nicole B July 5, 2012 at 1:45 am #

Love this outfit!! Fun and creative post…thanks for sharing!

15. chari July 5, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

just wanted to tell you how beautiful and healthy you look!

16. Maureen July 6, 2012 at 11:24 am #

Loved this feature! Your style is the perfect mix of prim ladylike and indie cool. Very inspiring!

17. callie grayson July 8, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Adore florals and stripes together, and now with the polka dots add! Love!
    Thanks for finding the skirt, I am looking for summer skirts for work and this one is perfect!
    and that shopper bag! eepp, must have!
    xx
    callie

18. Rita - FashionPas July 8, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Oh, as long you name your source it’s all good ;) This is really lovely.

1. Frage-Foto-Freitag am 06. Juli « Lolle Pampolle - July 6, 2012

[…] und Streifen. Deshalb bin ich auch neidisch auf ihren […]

2. A Guide to Mixing Patterns in Your Home | Making it Lovely - July 24, 2012

[…] Click here to learn more.Mixing patterns in fashion happens all the time (I’m always a fan of stripes and florals), but people seem to shy away from doing it in their homes. I mean, other people tend to shy away […]

3. Crazy Floral Pumps | Making it Lovely - January 11, 2013

[…] I’m planning to pair them with solid skirts and striped tops too, or striped dresses. Basically, I still can’t get enough of the stripes and florals combo. […]