The Color Run 5K

I’m a new runner. I’m not even really a runner yet — I’m only on week four of a Couch to 5K program. My sister, Ashley, is even less of a runner than I am. She’s making up her own program by running on a treadmill to Ke$ha (I’m sure it’s a totally sound training program, sis). Yet I convinced her to join me for The Color Run!

I figured it would be a great first 5K, because it’s not a true race. It isn’t timed and it’s all about the experience of ending up doused in color as you’re pelted by volunteers while you run/jog/walk past intermittent checkpoints. Fun!

It had started raining the day before and cleared up right before the 5K started. The rain then stayed away just long enough to douse us as we walked from the L back to my house.

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Color-Soaked Shoes

Now, question for people that can actually run longer than 3 minutes straight. It gets easier, right? I’m trying so hard, but it’s really difficult. My goal is to actually run a 5K.

84 Responses to “The Color Run 5K”

1. Crystal October 19, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Oh wow, so fun and cool! Hats off to you! I dream of doing this someday.

2. amyks October 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Running is hard work, so be very proud of your accomplishment!

3. courtney October 19, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

ugh, i hate running-it BETTER get easier! this race looks so cool though, such a good and fun goal!

xo,
    Courtney

4. Julia October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

18 months ago, I wasn’t a runner. I ran in Central Park sometimes–usually 2 miles, sometimes 3.5, if I was feeling ambitious. Then I started running with a friend–we started with a 5k race, worked our way up to a 15k and then in March ran a half marathon (21.1k).

This year I’ve run 8 races so far and I plan on doing 2 more by December. Last weekend I ran my second half marathon–my first international race, in Toront!–and I’m currently signed up to run the 2012 NYC Marathon next fall.

If you had told me 18 months ago that in two and a half years I’d be running a marathon, I would have laughed in your face. Now it’s one of the things in the near future that I’m most excited about.

Running is hard. But it gets easier. Exponentially so. (When training for our first half, we realized that each subsequent long run, though a mile longer than the one before, FELT easier.) And the satisfaction you get from it–not to mention the runner’s high–is well worth the pain and sacrifice.

Keep it up. One day, probably soon, you’ll look back to now and think about how silly you were for worrying about a 5k :)

5. Ashlea Walter October 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

congratulations! It DOES get easier,just keep on, keepin’ on, girl!

6. kim October 19, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

It totally gets easier! I started the Couch to 5K program in July having never been a runner before and I felt the same exact way. When the runs jump up to 10 minutes at a time and then 20 I thought there was absolutely no way I could do it, but I did! I ran my first 5K in September and made it through the whole thing. Not to mention I have Psoriatic Arthritis and this time last year I was barely walking, so it’s pretty amazing to me. Hang in there, it does get easier and you’ll be so proud of what you can accomplish if you stick with it! Keep going!

7. Alison October 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Can’t wait to do the one n Boston 2013 :)

8. Meghan October 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm #

It definitely gets easier. Training for my first marathon now. Just take it slow, celebrate each milestone, and make sure you have the right shoes. A specialty running store should be able to fit you for the correct shoes. Other than that, it helps to run with other girls or a group of women. I much prefer running with the girls than my husband or any other male. Women running friends are so encouraging of each other. So, be proud of yourself!

9. Kristyn @ Organic Grey October 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

i am a TERRIBLE runner–aka, i can’t run. i speed walk and jog, but i can’t seem to go longer than 3 minutes too haha! kudos to you for going out there and steppin it up, girl! so impressed. i’m sure it will get easier the more you do it :)

xo,
    kristyn

10. Holly October 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

Way to go! I had gotten into running right before I got pregnant with my daughter (about 2 years ago). I was really gaining momentum but then stopped and just did low impact cardio. Good music is what kept me going.

11. Melissa October 20, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I’m a new runner too. I actually started the C25k program a year or two ago, but never finished it. Now I’m on week 4 of an 8 week Sparkpeople Running program. This week it’s 2 minutes of walking, 3 minutes of running, 5 times. I can’t wait until it gets easier, too.
    Inspirational, keep up the good work!
    -Melissa

12. Lisa @ Wicked and Weird October 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I did the couch to 10K programme and went from “ohmygod I can’t run to the end of the street” to “ohmygod I just ran 12K”. Honest. I hardly believe it myself – it does get easier – I would say the first 6 weeks are the hardest by far!

13. Emma October 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm #

I started the couch to 5k about a year ago. Before that I thought running was just a ridiculuors sport. I found it SO hard at first. I rememeber when you had to jump from running 8 or 5 minutes to running 20 minutes(or something like that) I thought there was NO way I could do that. But I kept going and now I do 5km a few times a week with no problem. I have 2 kids the same ages as yours and running is AMAZING for my life. I feel incredible because of it. The kids get a really happy, strong mum. My husband and I take it in turns to run in the mornings for half hour each. We literally tag team as one of us comes home from our run, the other is high fiving at the door and heading out for their own run. Good music is KEY for me. Keep going, you’re completely inspiring and the post you wrote about you becoming the family bread winner made me excitedly tell my husband and give you a mental fist bump. Solid.

14. emily October 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

Hey, Nicole,

Congrats on getting started. I’m a long time runner but quit for a few years when I was pregnant and my son was new but have been back at it for several years. It DOES get easier. In fact, I am convinced that most people are cut out for longer distances than they realize. I always feel awful the first mile or so. The keys are good hydration, great stretching, and killer playlists. One day soon you’ll be running, thinking how torturous it all is, then you’ll let your mind wander and by the time it wanders back, you’ll realize, hey, this feels good. I’m doing this. My body is capable and my mind is capable. For me, the best part of running has always been how I feel after. There is really no comparable pride in one’s self and one’s own literal physical accomplishment. That, I think, is a huge part of the addiction for me. Regardless, you’ll find your own joy in it. Keep it up. My best runs have come when just lacing up my shoes is a struggle and I think, oh I can’t do this today. Then, oddly, I push on. And I’m always glad I did.

15. pandorameka October 20, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

GOOD FOR YOU ~~~

16. fenny setiawan October 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm #

Nicole, you looked so cute with the bright gold short.
    I always want to try 5kn runs and my friend pursued me many times, I should try one day, after seeing this post… so much fun on it :)

17. Kimberly October 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

It DOES get easier! For me the key was learning that “running” does not mean sprinting…it means moving at a pace you can sustain. Mine was a shuffle that was a smidge faster (if that much) than walking, but I remember how proud I was when I did it for 30 minutes straight during my first 5k after the couch-to-5k program I did. And most amazing of all I could actually say that I enjoyed running! Have fun with it!

18. SAWK October 21, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Hey! I’m so proud of you for running!

It absolutely gets easier, and even addictive. Stick with it! The first time you run longer without stopping than you ever have before will be one of the most unadulterated proud-of-yourself feelings and that will motivate you.

Be well!
    See you at Camp?
    - SAWK

19. Dorien October 22, 2012 at 4:07 am #

So awesome that you did this! I would love to be able to run some more too. I just never dare to go walk in the street haha.

20. Lisa October 22, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

This summer I finally managed to go from running to the end of my street and dying (only a dozen houses or so) to running about a mile and a half to two miles depending on the day. My roommate gave me the two secrets that ended up working. 1.) Run far slower than you think you should. You will feel goofy and be going no faster than you can walk, but this is the trick to going the distance before adding speed. And 2.) trick your brain into thinking you are just walking. Tell yourself you are just walking fast and make sure you are breathing evenly and deeply through your mouth and out your nose. This is just what worked for me!

21. Bre October 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Congratulations! Way to go! Everyone’s advice has been really spot-on for what worked for me… the only thing I’ll add is that running is at least half mental, so figuring out how to relax your mind or distract yourself to settle into the run is one of the important things you figure out in the beginning. I bet like a lot of others said that once you hit 5k you’ll keep on going – running is definitely addictive. You’re doing great!

22. molly October 22, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

It gets easier! I used to run A LOT (half marathon distances), and now I don’t run very often at all. However, since I was able to work up to becoming a “runner” in the past, I seem now to be able to run a 5k pretty easily (though slower). It’s mostly a confidence thing, in my experience.

23. Ashley Stenberg October 24, 2012 at 10:55 am #

Personally, I think your sister is a genius; Ke$ha is the perfect running music. :) I really like how some people have given the advice to run slower than you think you need to, that’s definitely me (as you’ve seen). I’ve slacked off a bit since the run but my goal is still to be able to outlast you, or at least keep up with you. It’s going to take a while but I’ll get there! Let’s plan the next 5K, shall we?

24. lisa October 25, 2012 at 7:32 pm #

i hated running, but wanted a challenge so i made myself do it. now i’m about to run my 3rd (slow) half marathon. one day after sticking with it for awhile it just starts to click. you have a few runs where you get in a groove and forget about everything else and you realize that is the feeling that makes people stick with it. every run is not like that. some are horrible. some weeks i will run 8 miles and feel pretty fine and then feel like 1 mile is hard two days later. but the ‘in the groove’ feeling is what keeps you going back. and looking forward to time by yourself (or a friend), listening to music or enjoying the outdoors can all start to trump the dread of exercising. stick with it. the proud feeling is worth it.

25. Jaime October 27, 2012 at 3:28 am #

I loved the color run, it was my first run too! I am still training and it gets better, sort of! I have decided I am enjoying being sore and pushing my self!
    As a former running hater, I think I am coming around a bend!
    Best of luck!

26. Lindel November 1, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

It gets easier. But train according to your personality. Some runners need races and times and heart rates. Some need music. Some need silence. Some need to do it with a friend. As soon as it becomes a chore, or you don’t like doing it, you will stop. So do what it takes to keep enjoying it.

For me, a non-sporty-but-it-seems-running-is-something-I-kinda-like-kind-of-person, I warm up, then jog, then run, then walk when I feel like it (i.e. when I don’t like the running bit), then jog/run again when I want. I keep this up for 30-45 mins. I do this about 3 times a week and after a while the running gets longer and the walking shorter. If you run until it hurts or you hate the feeling, you will grow to hate running.

Sometimes I don’t feel like running so I walk up stairs or take hills on my route. Sometimes I only have 15 mins in me. But it all helps. The key is I don’t beat myself up about any of it.

Music: I used to listen to upbeat songs and run one, walk one etc. As my running stretches got longer I switched to classical and jazz with long long tracks (Jazz Bach is tops for this. Jacques Loussier trio and Kevin Hunt are great). Now I like silence.

27. Christina November 12, 2012 at 2:13 pm #

I started the C25K program about a year and a half ago, and about a month ago ran my first half marathon. Due to an injury I did not run for 4 weeks after the race and just started back at square one, running a mile at a time this weekend. Yes, the running gets easier, but what I’ve realized after a month on my tooshie, is that so much of it is mental strength. Today I ran a mile and a half and wanted to quit so bad! Just keep running a little bit further. If you can push your mind, your physical strength will catch up quickly. Congrats on your color run- they sound so fun, I’d love to do one.

28. Eva November 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm #

I started the couch to 5k a couple months ago. It. Was SO hard for me at first, but today I ran 26 minutes and legitimately enjoyed every minute. And a big part of that enjoyment was remembering how hard it was just a couple months ago! I don’t have any goal other than being a little healthier, and if i never run a marathon, that’s okay with me. I’ve followed the program pretty closely, but I also am careful to listen to my body. If I feel like moving is torture that day, I still give it a go, but I don’t beat myself up if It’s not my best ever run. If the workout is almost over and I’m feeling really great, maybe i challenge muself to go extra hard for the last minute of the run. I’ve been able to stick with it (well, so far, but 2 months is way longer than ive been able to stick to an exercise program before) and enjoy it by finding what it takes to make it fun for ME! I like listening to music. And I like getting to bribe myself to stay motivated with cute running clothes. You’ll hopefully figure out what makes it fun for you! And if nothing makes it fun, then maybe it’s not for you. And that’s perfectly okay too.

29. Emily November 21, 2012 at 12:15 am #

I started “running” on July 3- the day before my 34th birthday. My goal was to run a 5k and a 10k. My first mile was about 13 minutes of starting and stopping goodness. But, I kept on and finally have the “bug”- did a 5k in Chicago in September and ran the FLWright Run (10k!!!!) recently. You must do that next year. It’s so, so awesome to run in your home town. Keep it up!!! I’m thinking of joining the OP Runners club- because having running buddies seems like a fun thing- especially now that I’ve got all of this momentum and it’s dark and cold out.

1. A Lovely Life List | Making it Lovely - March 16, 2013