It’s Coming Together

The details for the kitchen update are starting to come together.

I still haven’t picked a paint color, but I have everything else down. The white cabinets, dark brown quartz countertops, and stainless steel appliances that Brandon and I put in five years ago will form the backdrop. Then we have the floral backdrop that will become curtains, a couple of white and coral striped tea towels, a pretty turquoise tray, and a set of vintage brown and white ceramic canisters that I picked up at the Renegade Craft Fair.

The cabinets have green ceramic knobs, and my vintage breadbox (that I love) is green too. They don’t really match the greens in the fabric, but I don’t think they’ll be jarring either. If they are, I suppose I’ll hunt on eBay for a new breadbox and sell the old one (money-wise, that should equal out), and then replace the green knobs. With black and white ones, perhaps? I like the combination of black, white, and brown as a foundation. I’m even considering white walls, but it’s hard to pull that look off without beautiful architecture. What do you think?

32 Responses to “It’s Coming Together”

1. LeeAnn October 23, 2012 at 11:55 am #

Your kitchen update is going to turn out great! I hope the vintage green accents play well together. In my mind they do. And I have the matching sugar and creamer to your canisters. :)

• Making it Lovely October 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm #

Oh, fun! I don’t know anything about the set — now I want to track down the other items in it.

2. brandy October 23, 2012 at 11:56 am #

where are your towels from–they’re great. are they small hamam towels? thanks!

3. Modern Jane October 23, 2012 at 11:57 am #

I’m anxious to see what you do. I want to paint my kitchen white but worry about the same thing..

4. Angeli October 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm #

Oh I love those canisters!

5. Staci @ My Friend Staci October 23, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

“I’m even considering white walls, but it’s hard to pull that look off without beautiful architecture.” Aha! Yes, that’s why white worked so well in my old Spanish-style house but looks so BLAH in my new cookie-cutter apartment!
    Can’t wait to see how your kitchen turns out. Have you considered using that light teal on the walls? Or even a lighter version–just a hint of teal?

6. PAppel October 23, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

FYI , , ,
    Target has a black bread box identical to your vintage green one for under $50.

7. Megan October 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I have really similar kitchen cabinets and I painted my kitchen Benjamin Moore’s Decorator’s White about two years ago and I still love it – it certainly brightened the room a lot.

8. jenn aka the picky girl October 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I am in love with that fabric. So much so that I’m convinced I need it for curtains in my vintage-y kitchen – My walls are near the color of your breadbox with white cabinets.

Can’t wait to see the look.

9. Tara October 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

I love these colors together! Nicole, would you mind if I used the top image on my blog this week with a linkback of course?

10. AnnW October 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

I would paint the walls the flesh color on that four petalled flower, or the slightly darker pinky coral on the bottom of that apple or whatever it is. I have had every color imaginable in kitchens and a bright one is always nice. The cabinets and floor always tone down the color anyway. My favorite color in the world is that blue-green turquoise that I call beach glass. That would look nice also.

11. Lynn October 23, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

Love your palate. Can’t wait to see the finished plan!

12. PAppel October 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

Nicole,

Went and saw it again, it’s online, It’s not an exact match but it is pretty close. The latch is a bit different and it does not have a handle on top. Here is the link. See what you think?
    10909409#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=bread%20boxes

13. Kim @ Yellow Brick Home October 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm #

Oh, man, I am loving what you have so far!

I think you’re right about the white walls + beautiful architecture. I think our living room color could look really pretty with your combo though – it’s called Winterfresh by Behr.

14. Christine Drumgoole October 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

Very pretty, indeed!

15. Stacey October 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm #

LOVE THE COLORS!! Everything is so fresh and sweet.

16. The Lazy Fair October 24, 2012 at 9:35 am #

I love how you are always reconsidering rooms that are “done.” We’ve been renovating our shotgun house for YEARS, so whenever a room is “done” (you know, like 85% complete), we move on to the next thing. But really, what makes the difference are the details. You are inspiring me to go back and give my house a second look!

17. V. J. October 24, 2012 at 10:52 am #

All greens match; as in nature.

18. Suzette October 24, 2012 at 10:55 am #

You are sooo gorgeously talented Nicole! I love your blog and I am excited to see the finale of your kitchen. The colors are lovely and have that perfect kid-friendly and grown-up fun-feel. Thanks so much for sharing.

19. Sarah October 24, 2012 at 11:02 am #

I love that fabric! The tray color is such a great match too. I think that’s the color you should put on your walls (assuming it not a cold room). If it is a cold room I’d go coral pink on the walls. I hope the green accents work!

20. Korianne October 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm #

Your canisters remind me of Daleks from Doctor Who! Hee hee. Very cute stuff though. I’m excited to see the finished project.

21. sarah@boxwoodclippings.com October 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

can’t wait to see the results, loving the floral

22. Farmgirl Susan October 26, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I love the floral print! :)

23. Holly October 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

I am also renovating my kitchen and love your fun pops of color! I think I may have to look at adding some more color into my space. You can check out the progress (we are just starting) at http://createbakecelebrate.blogspot.com/2012/10/create-kitchen-remodel-backsplash-and.html

1. The Bathroom (Before) | Making it Lovely - November 14, 2012

[...] 0 comments The bathroom on the main floor is right off the kitchen. I have my direction for the kitchen refresh, and I have my inspiration for the bathroom, but I realized that I never showed you the full [...]

2. White Walls? Paint the Cabinets? | Making it Lovely - January 3, 2013

[...] 1, 2, 3, 4, [...]

3. All White Now | Making it Lovely - January 7, 2013

[...] could be judging it prematurely. The next step will be to sew the curtains (which I have been putting off because I’m not sure how I want to make them yet), and then [...]