Knock Knock

Eleanor and August have both started telling knock knock jokes, and they both always end with the same punchline. It started with E a couple of days ago, when Brandon tried to teach her the concept.

Eleanor

E: Knock knock!
Us: Who’s there?
E: Poo-poo tea pasta booty! (This is a favorite phrase of hers.)
Us: Poo-poo tea pasta booty, who?
E: MOM! *fake laughter*

Now, August is a man of action, not words. He’s going through a language explosion right now, picking up a new word every other day or so, but I was surprised at breakfast the other day when I realized he was trying to tell a knock knock joke.

August

A: Knock knock!
Us: Who’s there?
A: Mmf pheatuw cat glarbo. (?)
Us: *unsure* Mmf pheatuw cat glarbo, who?
A: *real laughter* MOM!

29 Responses to “Knock Knock”

1. Christina W. January 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm #

“Poo-poo tea pasta booty” made me snarf my iced coffee and now my nose burns. THANKS FOR THAT.

• Making it Lovely January 21, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

It’s a pretty excellent phrase! She’s been using it for months.

2. Kelly S. January 21, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Ha! Yeah, it took my kids a looong while to get the true hang of knock-knock jokes and puns. But I love that your kids’ punchline is basically, “YOUR MOM!” :-)

3. Fiona January 21, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

Hilarious. My (otherwise) smart five-year-old cannot comprehend joke punchlines. Her knock-knock jokes are SO BAD–but I felt more hope for her future at cocktail parties when her friend told an equally terrible knock knock joke. I guess it takes a while to understand word play.

• l January 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

My seven year old daughters are not much better either!

4. Emily January 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm #

Ha! We still laugh at the joke my brother used to tell when he was about Eleanor’s age. Knock knock. Who’s there? Dwayne. Dwayne who? Dwayne the bathtub, I’m dwowning. ;)

5. Victoria Rosas January 21, 2013 at 1:36 pm #

this is so sweet and funny!

6. Cherri Porter January 21, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

I love that the punch line is “Mom!” That’s usually the case.

7. Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife January 21, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

That is too funny. Definitely one to write down and remember! = ) And maybe to bring up at her wedding.

8. Danette @ All My Love for All My Days January 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

I think that’s cute story. What a excellent sport you must be to take it from them. :)

9. Holly January 21, 2013 at 3:16 pm #

I’m having our 2nd in July and I can’t wait to see how the kids will interact – I know it’s going to be special and make for memories like what you’ve written about here.

10. Focipresley (Bon) January 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

I have nothing to say but hahahahaha.

11. Kelley January 21, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

So great. :)

12. Jules January 21, 2013 at 4:14 pm #

I think it’s official. Bathroom humor is what unites us as a people. It transcends the lines of gender, race, and class.

13. Emma January 21, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Somewhere over christmas, my 3 year old picked up the following joke:
    “What snowmans eat?”

“Snowflaaaaaaaaaaakes”
    Never gets old, apparently. I tried to adjust it to “What do snowmen eat for breakfast?” but he likes his version better :)

14. Erin R. January 21, 2013 at 9:17 pm #

This made me giggle as my children (4 1/2 and a very verbal almost 2) are both into the very same type of knock knock jokes.

15. Monique January 21, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

This cracked me up! It’s such a fun stage / age. My daughter’s favorite knock knock joke at 3 was: Knock knock,Who’s there? Mickey Mouse’s underwear!!

16. May January 22, 2013 at 3:49 am #

I am more than seven times Eleanor’s age and I still can’t tell knock knock jokes properly. On one unintentionally hilarious occasion I got the punchline and the “who’s there?” line mixed up, and the joke was so much funnier.

17. Julia [life on churchill] January 22, 2013 at 7:53 am #

My two are telling knock knock jokes all the time too! They usually make me tell one. And I’ve found saying something like “chicken” then clucking like a chicken gets the best laugh. Such a cute phase!

18. Heather P. January 22, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Love this! My nephew loves to tell jokes as well. He’s 5 years old, and the punchline for 98% of his jokes is “chicken butt.” Gotta love kids and their weird sense of humor!

19. Mary | lemongroveblog.com January 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm #

So cute! Little humans do the funniest things. :) Sounds like they are keeping ya laughing around there!

20. Kirstin January 23, 2013 at 5:41 pm #

I am so glad my kid isn’t the only one who uses poop and booty together on a regular basis in conversation. I thought it was a boy thing too…

21. Erin January 24, 2013 at 8:09 pm #

Oh, this made me laugh. I love it!

22. Jennifer Rodgers January 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm #

Too funny! I love the illustrations of them.

23. Christine Drumgoole January 25, 2013 at 11:23 am #

I, too, have many upon many loved images saved onto my hard drive. You are not alone, my dear. I think you should go with your heart. You want blue and green – GO FOR IT!

My children also love silly knock-knock jokes.

24. Nicole January 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm #

Hahah, they are too cute. I love the knock knock jokes kids come up with. My daughter’s favorite joke, and the one she says a million times..”why did the banana go to the doctor? , “because he didn’t peel well”… she literally falls on the floor hysterically laughing.