Eight Weeks Old

I’m still enjoying my maternity leave, though I’m eager to open the shop again too. Now that Eleanor is getting used to being in a sling, I can get more done during the day but it’s not consistent at all. Some days she takes a nice long nap (or two), sometimes it’s just 20 minutes here and there.

Eleanor

Although Eleanor doesn’t nap much, she’s doing remarkably well at sleeping through the night! I start her bedtime routine around 8:00 and on a good night she’s asleep by 8:30. If she’s fussing a bit it might take an hour or more for her to finally fall asleep, but once she’s asleep she’s often out for the night. I always get one of two variations… she sleeps straight through from 8:30-5:30, or she sleeps from 8:30-3:00, nurses, and then sleeps again from 3:30-7:00. Either way, I get a decent night’s sleep so I’m happy.

Eleanor

Eleanor plays with her hair now to soothe herself when she’s tired. We first noticed her doing it a couple of weeks ago. It’s cute to watch her do something so deliberate! I feel like we’re getting a peek at her burgeoning personality. And she’s always been very alert, but now she’s becoming more curious too. She loves to be in her bouncy chair or on her play mat so that she can bat at her toys. She makes little cooing noises as she explores.

Eleanor

And she smiles! It melts me a little each time and of course I give her one right back. She’s even started laughing… well, it’s more like the precursor to actual laughing. Practice giggles. It’s not the squealing baby laugh you might think of, but more of an abrupt breathy sort of thing accompanied by a beaming smile.

Lately though, Eleanor has been crying for Brandon when he holds her. She calms down right away when she’s back in my arms. It’s way too early for her to be experiencing separation anxiety and we don’t know why it’s happening, but it’s heartbreaking. She smiles at Brandon, but it seems she just doesn’t want to be held by him.

Eleanor

When she was three weeks old, I mentioned that I was having a hard time with breastfeeding. I’m happy to say that things have finally improved! I was feeling discouraged when I was still in pain at six weeks because even though I now there’s no magic time frame, I kept hearing “give it six weeks”. I had taken a breastfeeding class, seen lactation consultants, read books, applied lanolin religiously, kept soothies in the fridge, varied positions, carefully latched the baby on… I was doing everything right and I was still in so much pain.

The left side had actually felt better since around the fourth week, but the right side was awful. There was some damage early on (probably by the third day), and it seemed like it would never heal. I dreaded each feeding because even if it was the side that didn’t hurt, that meant I was just that much closer to nursing her on the painful side again. Well I don’t know what changed, but all of a sudden one day nursing didn’t hurt anymore! Maybe Eleanor finally grew into her high palate, or maybe she changed the way she latches on? All I can say to someone having the same difficulty is that it does get better (even though I was afraid for a while that it never would).

Eleanor

Oh, and our little girl is quite the chunker. At her one month check-up, she weighed 12 pounds! That’s off the charts. Now she’s already outgrowing her 0-3 month clothes. She’s getting so big so fast.

Eleanor

79 Responses to “Eight Weeks Old”

1. Hilary June 24, 2009 at 9:43 pm #

Hey, my baby is eight weeks today too. That’s funny, Mine was born April 29th.
    I love the green with the pink blanket.
    She’s a cutie!

2. Tommy Bahama Bedding June 24, 2009 at 9:48 pm #

She’s such an adorable baby :)

3. Your Mother June 24, 2009 at 10:36 pm #

She is delicious! Brandon’s time will come soon and you will be left wondering “hey, what about me?”. I can’t wait to hold Eleanor again. Even short times away from her and then bam, she is that much bigger!

4. gardenspirit June 25, 2009 at 12:08 am #

Your little one is just precious, and I’m enjoying your updates on her (and your) progress. Glad the breastfeeding issues have cleared up for you. I had similar problems with my daughter many, many years ago, and like you, it got better with time.

A suggestion: Try leaving the room when hubby holds her. Let him find his own little ritual with her that doesn’t include you, and he will soon develop a rapport with her that will last forever. Daddy/daughter times are so important.

Many blessings upon your beautiful family!

5. lale June 25, 2009 at 4:26 am #

Nicole, won’t you publish the photo of the 2nd month on the chair?

6. Natasa June 25, 2009 at 8:56 am #

She is soooo sooo sweet :)

7. Meggan June 25, 2009 at 10:06 am #

Your baby is delicious! I’m so glad breastfeeding doesn’t hurt for you anymore, that had to be rough.

8. Gretchen June 25, 2009 at 10:30 am #

Gorgeous little girl! You’ll have to share her 2 month button pictures with us.

9. Janaan June 25, 2009 at 2:13 pm #

She is a doll. I love to hear what is happening with your new little one as my first baby is a month old too. I am struggling with our bedtime routine. It is taking her 2 hours to settle in. Would you mind sharing a little of what you do?

10. Kelly June 25, 2009 at 3:02 pm #

I love chunky babies. My first was just the fattest happiest girl you ever saw, til it came to bedtime! My second was skinny minny but so easy to coax to sleep. I really enjoy reading your blog as I am pregnant with my 3rd, and even though it hasn’t been too long I have forgotten all of these delicious things that they did and you are bringing them back to me!

11. Laura June 25, 2009 at 3:49 pm #

Eleanor is lovely! We named our little girl Eleanor too (we spell it Elanor). Sometimes it is hard to feel so “needed” right now, but as she grows it will get easier! Our Ellie now (10 mo.) makes cute faces and special coos just for her daddy. Adorable! Brandon’s day will come!

12. Stephanie June 25, 2009 at 4:04 pm #

Awwwww, what a cutie! I just love babies. My littlest one is just about to turn 3. Enjoy this time. Take lots of videos and pics.

13. nkc June 25, 2009 at 4:32 pm #

Thank you so much for posting about your breastfeeding woes. My little guy is only 8 days old and I am definitely experiencing significant issues with latching on and the accompanying pain. I’ve been tempted to quit so many times as the pain can be excruciating, but hearing stories like yours gives me hope that things will in fact get better. We did meet with the hospital lactation consultant and have an appointment with one at the breastfeeding center tomorrow, so I’m hopeful that an end is in sight.

Eleanor’s eyes = beautiful.

14. allyse June 25, 2009 at 5:49 pm #

i LOVE the outfit and have a 10 week old, where did you get it???

15. TracyKM June 26, 2009 at 7:33 am #

She’s adorable! You get more sleep than I do, and my youngest is 3 1/2!
    It’s not too early for separation anxiety :) Babies are born with the biological instinct to be near their mothers—it ensures their survival. Your husband doesn’t have your smell, which is her primary sense of recognition in the first couple of months. And since he doesn’t smell like you, and doesn’t have the soft squishy chest…he can’t keep her alive, in her mind. My kids got over it once hubby could feed baby foods.

16. Christina June 26, 2009 at 10:02 am #

Great! She’s soooooo lovely…

sometimes the nipples just have to get used to it, but man, I’m glad you’re not in as much pain!

17. Niki June 26, 2009 at 11:30 am #

She’s beautiful, Nicole. Happy to hear the nursing has improved!

Tell your hubby not to get too down about the crying. Baby’s cry for all sorts of reasons and not always because they’re upset. It’s their only way to communicate and I seriously doubt she’s crying because she doesn’t want your man to hold her. Things will get better, I promise.

Remember to take some time for yourself, even if it’s only a ten minute shower. And any time you need support, we’re here for you! Trust me, other mommies always understand.

18. katie June 26, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

She’s so gorgeous, and looks LONG, not chubby for being off the charts. As for nights, you are very lucky.

It’s good you are not tied to a strict routine, because each month her sleep patterns will change. I guess for consistent work, you’ll have to be a night owl. Hang in there and try to be happy with doing a bit less for now–she’ll only be small for a little bit.

k

19. Kimbydee June 26, 2009 at 10:14 pm #

I see some Dad in her but for the most part I think she looks like you! She’s adorable, enjoy being able to sleep through the night, and I’m glad breast feeding is finally feeling tolerable. ;o)

20. Nikki F. June 27, 2009 at 11:43 am #

She’s just beautiful. She may not favor being held by Brandon right now, but she sure looks like him (holy smokes)! Everything changes so much, so fast, and of course there’s no hard-and-fast schedule. And let’s factor in that she’s a girl – her preferences may 180 by tomorrow!

Thanks for letting us peek into your world.

21. holly June 27, 2009 at 12:07 pm #

PRECIOUS!! Nicole and Brandon, she is absolutely beautiful!

22. katelynjane June 27, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

Wow, I can’t believe she’s 8 weeks old!! I wasn’t around when the big annoucement of her being born happened, I guess that means I’ve been gone a while!! Congrats on the little angel, she’s beautiful!

And congrats on having the willpower on staying with breastfeeding! That must take alot, but I know the benefits are huge, so it’s great you stuck with it!

23. jennifer ramos June 28, 2009 at 3:48 pm #

She’s PERFECT…i like all the color coordination you use in your pics…you’re so good at it.

Jen Ramos
    madebygirl.blogspot.com

24. Heather in Washington State, USA June 28, 2009 at 8:47 pm #

My daughters used to cry when daddy held them, until we found out why. They didn’t like his stubbly beard against their skin when he held them against his shoulder. Have Brandon hold her in cradle position for awhile. If that was the issue, it may take a few days or so for her to stop associating him with stubble burn.

25. Fifi Flowers June 29, 2009 at 6:49 pm #

ADORABLE baby and FAB decor!!! LOVE the flower drapery… FUN!!!

26. Sheri June 29, 2009 at 8:24 pm #

i want that shirt!

27. Lori June 30, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

I just found your blog while searching for baby girl nursery ideas. Eleanor’s nursery is fabulous. And I must tell you I had the same painful breastfeeding experience with my son-it took 12 weeks before it was just great. We finally stopped 2 1/2 years later so congratulations for working through it. I know how truly hard it is but it was SO worth it.

28. Sally July 8, 2009 at 5:26 pm #

Just a thought, because it happened to me many times: Could you have had mastitis or a clogged duct? Both affected me only on one side (I guess I have a gimpy breast!) but with mastitis you also feel flu-y and have a fever, and feel sick everywhere. With a clogged duct it just gets red and painful and hurts when your milk lets down. But when it finally clears, it is cool to watch your milk shoot across the room!

29. katie in WA July 17, 2009 at 7:14 am #

i had THE SAME EXPERIENCE w/ b.feeding! i, too, remembered the “6 WEEKS” proclamation and thank God @ 6 wks on the dot, wa-la…no more mommy-tears! i am sure the anticipation of the EXCRUCIATING pain made me tense, which makes it worse. HARD TO RELAX when you’re about to HAVE YOUR NIPPLE SLICED OFF –or so it felt… =) Bless you and your sweet babe. i’m w/ all the others on making sure he’s not stubbly, not too bouncy, and get outta the room –maybe for a while– she can hear you, see you, smell you…
    i used to put on about 3 jog bras to go for a run and when i got back to my neighborhood i could hear my son’s cries from blocks away….i’d turn the corner, come in view of my home, and there was my poor, frazzled hubby holding dear sweet CRYING boy…it was all i could do to de-jog-bra myself and sit, sweat and all, haul out the boob and let him latch on! good grief! you’d think i was OXYGEN! but i miss them needing me so much!!! =) take care!