Choosing New Lighting for the Bedroom

I am working with American Express to redo my bedroom. This week they have provided me with 100,000 Membership Rewards points.

Remember when our roof was leaking last month? Well the water killed our light fixture in the bedroom, so now I’m looking for something new. I’ve been thinking about the Edison Chandelier but as I tweeted about a month ago, “I can’t decide if I think this is industrial cool, or if it just looks like a giant spider on the ceiling.”

All of the images show it in a dining room, so maybe it would just be weird in a bedroom? Here are the other options I’m considering:

I already own a pair of Adjustable Arc Sconces (A), so whatever I choose for the ceiling fixture will have to work with those. The Eclipse Pendant Lamp (B) doesn’t look like anything special in the product photo, but in person it’s really pretty (and a little shimmery). I’m also thinking about getting a Jonathan Adler ceiling light (C) because I love the one that’s in my studio. I feel like the bedroom is an opportunity to do something a little different though.

Now, before you look at the photo below, let me preface it by saying that I think the Hailey Antique Flower Chandelier would look awesome if painted.

Glossy green, maybe? Mustard yellow? Could be good, right?

I’d like to choose something by the end of the week because I’m eager to redeem my American Express Membership Points and finally get a new fixture in the bedroom. I’m really having a hard time deciding though – I’ve been thinking about lights for weeks! Which one would you choose? Or have you seen something else that you think would look even better?

106 Responses to “Choosing New Lighting for the Bedroom”

1. Karina May 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm #

I think Option A would go better with the bedding you selected but I don’t know how it would mingle with the existing lights. Added bonus…it would probably entertain the baby!

2. Marie May 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

I love the Antique flower one. My mother had one like it painted green in a little cottage house she lived in about ten years ago and sold it with the house. I have still yet to forgive her. Can’t wait to see what you pick. I have to pick a paint color by Thursday, any thoughts on a gray? Its for my office and everything I pick is to blue or to tan. Thanks

3. nicole May 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm #

i thought C screams *you*!
    but i guess that makes sense, since you already have one! ;)

*xo…

4. Kristin May 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm #

My mother used to have an antique floral chandelier that looked surprisingly like the Hailey one when she bought it. She painted it all cream at one point and it really looked amazing.

5. dg May 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm #

looks like a giant spider on the ceiling. it’s going to weird you out in the bedroom.

6. Jeanne W. May 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

I would never think of painting the antique chandelier. It’s lovely as it is, and woulsd be my choice.

7. Cheryl May 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

The spidery one seems more suitable for a loft or maybe that’s because that’s where I’ve seen it situated most often in magazines. Gazing into clear light bulbs in a bedroom might be too much. I love the look of chandeliers in bedrooms, would love one, in fact. The flowers on this one are not speaking to me but the curves and base part are. I can see switching out the lampshades to a color or pattern that jives with whatever bedding you choose or pillows. I’m a huge Jonathan Adler fan and I’ve seen this lamp fixture in magazines. But I think you want something a step up from this for a bedroom. You will be eyeing it, almost daily, so it’s got to capture your heart and make you happy, even on cloudy days.

8. Sarah May 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm #

I like the Edison, and I think that if you installed a dimmer in your bedroom, the light would be really neat at night. I think that the Hailey chandelier might be a little too girly, especially in a bedroom that is shared with a man!

9. Kate May 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm #

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the Edison style! So cool and chic

10. Cameron May 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

I have been in love with the Edison chandelier since you posted it last week. I love everything about it—reminds me of fireworks! I asked my husband what he thought, and he said “Spidery.” I told him to go back to watching the news. I do like the Adler fixture, as well, but the Edison just makes me happy.

11. Alicia (Atypical Type A) May 17, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

I say Insdustrial Cool, but it would be better in a kitchen or office. A softer, diffused light would be better in a bedroom.

I agree with Kathleen. I love the idea of revamping a vintage chandelier but not so much with a new one.

Here is what I am picturing…

12. LuLu May 17, 2010 at 6:44 pm #

The Edison light fixture looks like a migraine waiting to happen. I think it might look cool in someone’s work studio but it’s not sexy, soft or lovely enough for a bedroom.

LuLu

13. JenWoodhouse.com May 17, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Just say no to the spider and say yes to option B! Beautiful, understated, classy, and shimmery – much more fitting with the rest of your bedroom decor.

14. Jan May 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

I agree with you that the Edison Chandelier looks like a spider. It doesn’t seem like it belongs in a bedroom. I like the Jonathan Adler fixture.

15. Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy May 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm #

I’m all about the Hailey Antique Chandelier! go for it!!

16. Valerie May 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

I vote for option B – it looks sophisticated and soothing in a simple way.

17. Blondie May 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm #

I actually love the spider chandelier, but wonder if the bare bulbs might be glaring or useless (with dimmer) in a bedroom. My vote is for B, you can never go wrong with classic style. Accessories are what gives a room punch, not necessarily the lighting.

(This said by a woman with a massive collection of vintage 40’s-50s-60s fiberglass shaded lamps of all sizes and colors!) HA!

18. Nicole May 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Of all your picks, I LOVE the Adler lamp. Regarding the “spider” chandelier, glass is a pain to keep clean. I I have two glass pendants hanging over my kitchen sink and unless I windex them on a weekly basis, they look dirty. If you are hanging it above your bed, it would be even more of a task to climb on your bed and wipe every bulb.

If you want a new option, I love the Nelson bubble lamps. I don’t know how high your ceilings are but you can go with the round for higher ceilings or the saucer for lower ceilings. It is a classic that is timeless, modern, and chic. I am sure whatever you decide, it will be amazing!

Nicole K.

19. Laura May 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm #

I definitely think you should cross that Edison light off the list because it is super energy inefficient. I know this is about style but you can get high style without 10 light bulbs. Hope I don’t sound too nerdy but it is totally worth considering. I like option C the best. It seems like the right thing for a bedroom plus it would be easy to use compact fluorescent bulbs with that fixture.

20. Meredith May 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

I’ve always liked this anemone light — I think it would cast really beautiful spots on the ceiling!

21. Anna May 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm #

I really like the idea of the antique flower chandelier in glossy green! What an awesome feature of the room and it would be a catalyst for all sorts of inspirational ideas for the rest of the bedroom! There is definitely something sexy and romantic about flowers in bedrooms and chandeliers…youd get the best of both worlds!

22. Nick May 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

Kind of a weird question, but do people in chicago not use ceiling fans?

• rosecampion May 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm #

I live in the same town as Nicole and can’t imagine not having a ceiling fan in my bedroom. It makes the summer so much more tolerable.

Maybe she has central air?

23. julie d May 17, 2010 at 11:14 pm #

Would you consider something like this? I am thinking of doing this one in our bedroom. It reminds me of the Edison, but not so spidery! Its clear, so you wouldn’t have to worry if you decided to change the colour of the bedroom later…and well priced too!

24. Steph May 18, 2010 at 8:04 am #

Love the Edison light fixture. Yes, it does look spidery — but in an awesome way.

25. amy May 18, 2010 at 8:29 am #

I really think the flowered one could be really beautiful with a fresh coat of paint. the details are what counts….and i think that its very detailed and lovely! Green would be perfect.

26. Budget Wise Home May 18, 2010 at 9:58 am #

I am partial to the Jonathan Adler light. It’s so pretty and I love the pattern. I think the first one does look like a spider–sorry. Good luck with your choice. Can’t wait to see what you do.

27. Lisa May 18, 2010 at 11:07 am #

I’ll take a pic if you want, but we opted for soft lighting for the bedroom. We took a Middle Eastern inspired lamp, hung it on the ceiling and put a light in it. It’s kind of like this: http://indiska.com/system/search/product.asp?id=3409&c=125&page=2&rnum=28
    except it has colored glass around the sides. I think the metal is copper on the one we have.

It depends on your lighting needs. We each have a reading light and there is a floor lamp if we need some extra light, but we hardly use it.

28. Pangaea May 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm #

I like the Edison. A dimmer would be essential. I think they just show it in dining rooms in the photos because it just isn’t as common for people to hang chandeliers in their bedrooms. I LOVE chandeliers in the bedroom. Very romantic. So this one is sort of Industrial/romantic … is that a style?

29. Melissa Cordstone May 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm #

I have to agree with the others, the black one totally looks like a spider. Once you see it that way, it’s hard to see it any other way. But I really love the antique flowers light, I think that will give it a nice sense of whimsical to it.

30. tim'spumpkinspice May 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm #

We have only one bare bulb in the fan above our bed and I can tell you that it is very annoying to be staring up at it. When I lay down on the bed, it is like staring at a spot on the sun- makes me squint. It is harsh on the eyes. Just fyi.

31. mari May 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm #

I think I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’ve been craving that Edison Chandelier for our own bedroom for over a year!!! I was so happy to find it on your site today, I thought it was discontinued! Phew.
    Why don’t we have it? Number one: we’re working making the house sellable, not personal. Number two: I think our bedroom is way too small and the ceiling too low to showcase this lovely light.
    SO I think you have to get one so I can live vicariously through your bedroom! (and NO it doesn’t look like a damn spider)

32. Lori May 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

It is so interesting all the different opinions. I totally see a spider when I look at the first one. But I love the flower chandelier but painted something to make it cooler. Such great options!

33. Laura May 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm #

Edison is a no for me. I was pleased with the selection at overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chandeliers-Pendants/34/subcat.html?count=120

34. CommaHappy May 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

I’ve been coveting the Edison Chandelier too… but I think it would be better in an office or dining room. It seems a little too industrial and edgy. The Jonathan Adler one might be boring to you because you already have one but I think it would coordinate really well with your other items! Can’t wait to see what you choose.

35. Today Hilary May 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm #

The first one might get a little scary at night.

I opened an online vintage and designer store – everything $30 and under. Let me know what you think….

36. Kelly Tirman May 19, 2010 at 2:25 am #

I have wanted that Edison Chandelier for above my dinning room table since I first saw it in Pottery Barn. I think it is perfect for the dinning room but only someone with your talent could pull it off in a bedroom.

37. Felicity May 19, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Spiders smiders! My husband would never go for it, but yours seems to be about the coolest, most agreeable to any design scheme you can think up, so I say go for it! If you hate it you can always bring it down to the dining room. Who says you can’t swap out light fixtures with the seasons???

38. Colleen May 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

Spidery but cool… but yes, spidery.

I think you should go with the Hailey antique! I LOVE the idea of that in a mustard yellow! LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

39. Esther May 20, 2010 at 4:57 am #

I live in New Zealand so just about peed in my pants at the ‘spidery’ chandelier. SOOO funky. Just nothing like that on this side of the globe. Big statement pieces are perfect for private places, edgy industrial stuff shouldn’t be reserved for public spaces and other people’s pleasure. We have a wall of black and white portrait images of great mental philosophers and mathematicians above our bed. Unusual – sure, but a constant source of quiet pleasure – absolutely. Thanks for showcasing such neat stuff! You are truly stylie!

40. rosecampion May 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm #

I love the spider chandelier, but it just doesn’t say “bedroom” to me. Firstly, it looks to be huge. Maybe the cord length can be adjusted some? Secondly, the bare bulbs will be really hard to lie in bed and look up at. We never use the overhead light that’s in our ceiling fan because it’s such harsh light.

I love the floral chandelier. So much like the tole chandelier that was in my sister’s room growing up. I like it as is, but I could see how you might want to go for a solid color too.

You might also want to consider a ceiling fan. It makes sleeping in the summer so much more comfortable that’s its amazing. I know design folks hate them with a passion, but now that I have one in my bedroom, I will never live without one again. Some of the modern style fans aren’t too bad looking.

41. callie grayson June 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm #

love the edison light fixture!!
    xx
    callie

42. nancy February 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm #

Where do you find the Edison Chandelier?

1. Daily Link RoundUp | Nice Dwells - May 21, 2010

[…] Cool bedroom lighting picks (Making It Lovely) […]

2. Design Happens » Archive » Designer Lighting - May 28, 2010

[…] when it comes to the spaces where you spend the most time. For a bedroom makeover, check out these fashionable light […]

3. Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » The Edison Chandelier is Here - June 7, 2010

[…] the Edison is HUGE. Especially the […]

4. Knock-off options for Pottery Barn Edison Chandelier | The Em Dash - April 4, 2013

[…] […]