'L' for Lighting Bedroom

Choosing New Lighting for the Bedroom

I am working with American Express to redo my bedroom. This week they have provided me with 100,000 Membership Rewards points.

Remember when our roof was leaking last month? Well the water killed our light fixture in the bedroom, so now I’m looking for something new. I’ve been thinking about the Edison Chandelier but as I tweeted about a month ago, “I can’t decide if I think this is industrial cool, or if it just looks like a giant spider on the ceiling.”

All of the images show it in a dining room, so maybe it would just be weird in a bedroom? Here are the other options I’m considering:

I already own a pair of Adjustable Arc Sconces (A), so whatever I choose for the ceiling fixture will have to work with those. The Eclipse Pendant Lamp (B) doesn’t look like anything special in the product photo, but in person it’s really pretty (and a little shimmery). I’m also thinking about getting a Jonathan Adler ceiling light (C) because I love the one that’s in my studio. I feel like the bedroom is an opportunity to do something a little different though.

Now, before you look at the photo below, let me preface it by saying that I think the Hailey Antique Flower Chandelier would look awesome if painted.

Glossy green, maybe? Mustard yellow? Could be good, right?

I’d like to choose something by the end of the week because I’m eager to redeem my American Express Membership Points and finally get a new fixture in the bedroom. I’m really having a hard time deciding though – I’ve been thinking about lights for weeks! Which one would you choose? Or have you seen something else that you think would look even better?

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Cora Potter
    May 17, 2010 at 11:12 am

We have one of the IKEA rattan shades that you see in a zillion dining room/kitchen settings in our bedroom. It fits right in. I think it’s mostly about determining the appropriate scale and height from the bed, if the pendant hangs over the bed. Lights are lights- go with what makes you happy.

That said, if you’re going to go with a drum pendant and you have lower (less than 12 ft) ceilings, you’ll probably need some wall lighting too, in order to have enough general lighting in the entire room.

I like the Adler fixture because it has the same chutzpah as a pendant lamp, but has more of a general lighting function.

Jules
      May 17, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Tips like these help non-designer folks like me. I’d be the one thinking I needed a brighter bulb for more light.

Cassie
    May 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

The Edison fixture really does make me think of spiders…
    Shades of Light has an amazing chandelier collection!

christie
      May 17, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I think it looks like a spider too. Sorry!

Summer
    May 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

You are braver than me if you could sleep every night with that giant spider light hanging over you! Options B and C are both beautiful.

Lea
    May 17, 2010 at 11:23 am

I’m obviously not even a semi-pro designer, but in case you haven’t seen these & like them:

Ashley
      May 18, 2010 at 4:32 pm

That first one is amazing, plus it would coordinate with the gray theme they have going.

liz @ bon temps beignet
    May 17, 2010 at 11:27 am

The 1st one does look a little spidery.
    I’d pick B, but its not my bedroom. Can’t wait to see the finished room : D

Melissa
    May 17, 2010 at 11:30 am

B looks great with the scones you already own, but I love D!! Painted a fun color I think it would look great in your home.

amyks
    May 17, 2010 at 11:30 am

I love that Hailey Antique Flower Chandelier, in a funky color, it would be soo cool and it’s even on sale! That being said I am using a similar pendant light in my daughter’s room. The only light I wouldn’t use in my bedroom would be the Edison. Good luck with your decision. Picking out lighting can be so much fun, but overwhelming because of all the choices.

Sara
    May 17, 2010 at 11:33 am

I think you could do something wonderfully fun with the Hailey light fixture, if anyone could.

Patti
    May 17, 2010 at 11:35 am

Romantic (painted) Hailey Antique Flower Chandelier would be my vote for the bedroom. So pretty and elegant yet retro just enough to make it current. Different shades would complete the look. Though the Edison would look cool in a boy’s room. It makes me think of a spider so putting in a nature-themed boy’s room would be so fun!

Laurie
    May 17, 2010 at 11:43 am

My first choice would be C. the Jonathan Adler Ceiling light. I LOVE IT!!!!! In fact, I want one for my bedroom!

Ashley @ The Design Thief
    May 17, 2010 at 11:45 am

I vote for A or C. Those are classic and classy!

emily
    May 17, 2010 at 11:47 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of painting that flower chandelier. I might steal your idea and put it in our nursery!

Carrie
    May 17, 2010 at 11:52 am

Want another option? I’m thinking about going with this deco/glam light for my bedroom. I think there is something very romantic about it… http://www.shadesoflight.com/deco-glam-ceiling-light.html

JuliaL
      May 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

ohhhhhhh! I really like these. Thanks for sharing. This would be great to add a little swankiness to a hallway, bathroom, or closet! :-)

caroline
      May 17, 2010 at 5:28 pm

LOVE the light Carrie suggested. It has sparkle but not tons of fussy faceting and teensy crystals.

Colleen
      May 19, 2010 at 1:58 pm

ooooo love that!

Michelle
    May 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

The Edison light does look a little bit spider-esque…. But thats not to say i don’t like it. Just not in the bedroom. I would probably half wake up and think I was part of an Arachnaphobia remake! I definitely like choice B and C though!!

Sarah G
    May 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

The Edison is awesome, but I’m thinking it would be better for an office where you need a lot of light rather than a bedroom where you may not want exposed light bulbs casting light on your (possibly) exposed bodies – just doesn’t seem very mood enhancing :) I love the Hailey chandelier, but it might be too girly for Brandon even if painted a solid color. So I’m thinking B, it’s got the diffuser for softness. Or you could swap the Adler in your office for the Edison?

Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}
    May 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

Love C option! And the flower chandelier is so sweet! Might be too girly though.. xo

Michelle
    May 17, 2010 at 11:56 am

Oh wow!! I absolutely LOVE the light that Carrie posted the link to…. Industrial, yet elegant!

Christian T
    May 17, 2010 at 11:58 am

Edison or C! I would go with Edison over C though.

Jules
    May 17, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I think painting the floral chandelier will be the most “Nicole” of the bunch. Didn’t that one designer do it for her daughter’s pink and green nursery? In Domino? Agh. I can’t remember her name. Ruthie Sommers! And no, I just remembered that she didn’t paint it. Whatever. It will still look good. :)

Elisa @ whatthevita
    May 17, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I’ve been lusting over that Alder ceiling light for some time now. I must have that in our living room.

I like B with your bedding but it needs something…. I haven’t seen it in person, though.

Susan B
    May 17, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Candice Olsen used the first one in an apartment redo featured on Oprah Winfrey. The other pieces she used were from westelm and Pottery Barn. Gorgeous!

Alana
    May 17, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Ouch, in all honesty that flower chandelier is just plain fugly.

Shannon
    May 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

We are doing the artemide logico sofito in our bedroom. We have it, now we have to get it installed!!! Love its frosted glass/iceburg shape!

I like the Adler one best! Not fan of giant spider things!

patty
    May 17, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I wouldn’t think you’d want exposed bulbs overhead in your bedroom (like what you’d get from a plain drum shade or the Edison) if you ever watch TV or read in bed. You’d probably want a more diffused lighting source.

daiseeboo
    May 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm

I would go for the antique flower chandelier. Think it would look fab painted just one colour.

Nikki
    May 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I definitely find the Edison Chandelier “industrial cool,” but I can’t envision it in your bedroom space… your room reads modern, but not industrial. Save the bare bulbs for an edgier space; vaulted ceilings and exposed brick walls.

The Eclipse Pendant Lamp is classic, clean, and sharp. I liken it to a pair good pants that are harder to get excited about buying when you’re at the store (than, say, a trendier top), but you end up loving and thanking yourself with every wear.

Making it Lovely
      May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Excellent analogy!

luuve
      May 17, 2010 at 1:07 pm

i love the analogy too! i think nikki is soo right! let the bed and the other accents make the statement..i think i love the pendant light the best as well…

Merideth
    May 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I’m with you, I think the light looks more like a spider even though it has more than 8 “legs” LOL While the industrial look is cool, I think I’d go with B or C.

Danielle
    May 17, 2010 at 12:28 pm

I have seen the Edison one over dining room tables and it is stunning! But I think you might get sick of it after awhile. My vote is for C or the pretty antique one. Those would be easier to switch in another bed when you want to change them up.

Kristy
    May 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Anything but the flower chandeleir. That thing is hideous (and would be even painted)

kat
    May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I love B – it looks very classy but the colour makes it kind of unique, plus I think it’d go well with your sconces. I like the adler, but it’s too shiny

Kathleen
    May 17, 2010 at 12:41 pm

I love the idea of painting a vintage chandelier all one color but having to repaint a new one doesn’t seem as appealing. I like option B. Classy and simple.

b.a.
    May 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

i think the “spider” light would look amazing with a darker ceiling color, like gray. it’s a good contrast with the traditional-looking sconces. also, though the adler fixture is gorgeous, i’m not sure how it’d go with the paisley print of your bedding. the flower chandelier is really cute. i painted one solid white for my girls’ room. if you did glossy yellow or gray it would be really pretty.

i feel strange being so opinonated about your lighting…but you asked, right?
    can’t wait to see what you pick!

Violet
    May 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I love the Edison chandelier! Spidery? A bit… Awesome? DEFINITELY!

Angie
    May 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I think option is it great! It doesn’t seem like a giant spider at all. I think it just depends on everything else you have in your room.

Robyn
    May 17, 2010 at 1:19 pm

It is an interesting piece, but I look at it and
    think “dust collector”. However, have you seen how Layla
    at The Lettered Cottage did an Ikea version of one from
    The Pottery Barn? I think it would look great with the
    sconces you already have.

Jenny
    May 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I really like the Eclipse Pendant Lamp, I think it looks great with the sconces you already have. The Edison really does look spidery to me, I think it would creep me out a bit if I had it in the bedroom.

Megan
    May 17, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Eclipse pendant definitely.

I also think this would look really eye catching but not “too much”: http://www.shadesoflight.com/smoky-art-glass-circles-shade-chandelier.html

Kristi
    May 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I would go with the Edison option or the third one (c). I do love the jonathan adler one!

Allison
    May 17, 2010 at 2:00 pm

If your hubby is ok with the floral I would absolutely go with that, painted of course. Bedrooms should be romantic, dreamy and swanky, nothing says that more than a chandelier in my opinion!

Can’t wait to see which way you go!

Kelly S.
    May 17, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I’m just jealous of being able to install any kind of ceiling light fixture in your bedroom. It gets crazy-hot where I live, esp. in my south-facing bedroom, and taking out the ceiling fan isn’t an option.

I like both B & C, B a little more.

Christine
    May 17, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I love the Edison fixture! I think my only concern with it would be how low the bulbs hang. Do you have high ceilings? In the dining room photos, it even looks a little like if the table weren’t there, you might bump into the bulbs. And if you stretch the cords/mounting brackets out too far, I wonder if it would look more spider-ey. I wonder if the cords are adjustable? It’s definitely my favorite of your picks though! Have you seen the Spider light by Lumens Center Italia?

I took Lighting Design this semester and right now I’m obsessed with pendants in the bedroom. I’m currently lusting over the Monet fixture by Evi Style (http://www.interior-deluxe.com/product_info.php/products_id/7133/cPath/7_14/Ceiling-Lights/Monet-ceiling-lamp), but can’t convince the husband that I need to spend that much.. Thinking I’ll settle for the Nut Pendant by LZF which I also adore. I like the Eclipse pendant, but it’s a little too similar to the Arc lights that you already have. I think you should get something that really stands out. :)

Sierra
    May 17, 2010 at 2:37 pm

As you have such a modern infusion, what about a more modern fixture look? DWR has a few options in your price range like this one….

my ex in-laws had the original version of this chandelier and it looked stunning in person!

Christina
    May 17, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I have the Edison in our dining room and I love it. You can place the hooks however you want. Ours are spaced closer to the main fixture so the bulbs hang down farther and are closer together which makes it look less spider-y. We do have an industrial feel to our house with exposed bricks. I think it could look very cool in the right bedroom.

Michael - Innkeeper
    May 17, 2010 at 3:07 pm

OMG! I have the edison in my entryway and i LOVE IT!! you wouldn’t believe the number of compliments i get on it. and does it look like a spider in real life!? not at all! if you get this light you will not be disappointed. it is stunning and gets sooo many compliments!

my house is 100 years old and people (that haven’t seen it in pottery barn) think it’s original.

Natalie
    May 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Well, to be honest, when I initially saw the picture, my first thought was “yikes! A spider hanging above your bed?”. But Michael says it looks different in person, so who knows?!

Option C is definitely my fav. Very versatile.

Bridget
    May 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I vote for C or B in that order. The industrial looking lighting is a bit much and I feel it would be a distraction in what I know will be an amazing room. Now that I reflect back on the bedding you’ve selected, I think B might be better if the geometric pattern in C doesn’t mesh with the room . . . even thought I love C.
    The floral thing is quite prissy but perhaps if you painted it a creamy color and put some semi-sheer shades to complement the green in the bedding, that might look really nice.

Megan
    May 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm

My vote is for C. While I admit the Edison Light is cool (and I am partial to the vintage industrial movement) I also have a huge fear of spiders and would have nightmares from that hanging over my head (and the subsequent shadows it would create).

Christina M
    May 17, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I’m very partial to these bubble chandeliers. They are pretty industrial while retaining a romantic essence that I think would be great for a bedroom!

Claire Quilter
    May 17, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I put a chandelier I found on ebay that is very much like the hailey flower chandelier in my boyfriends dining room, of all places. It is fantastic! I’d suggest Lose the shades or replace them with something less grandmotherly? What about an antiquing retreat to dirty it up a bit and tone done the pinks and yellows just a little?

Nicole RJ
    May 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I love the Edison, I think it would be less spidery, but equally as wonderful in white. But I wonder if it would be too stark for a bedroom? Too much light from all those bulbs?

I’m a big fan of chandeliers with big barrel-style shades, we have this on hanging in our bedroom… it teeters on the line between too feminine and neutral enough for hubby:

Karina
    May 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I think Option A would go better with the bedding you selected but I don’t know how it would mingle with the existing lights. Added bonus…it would probably entertain the baby!

Marie
    May 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I love the Antique flower one. My mother had one like it painted green in a little cottage house she lived in about ten years ago and sold it with the house. I have still yet to forgive her. Can’t wait to see what you pick. I have to pick a paint color by Thursday, any thoughts on a gray? Its for my office and everything I pick is to blue or to tan. Thanks

nicole
    May 17, 2010 at 4:46 pm

i thought C screams *you*!
    but i guess that makes sense, since you already have one! ;)

*xo…

Kristin
    May 17, 2010 at 4:47 pm

My mother used to have an antique floral chandelier that looked surprisingly like the Hailey one when she bought it. She painted it all cream at one point and it really looked amazing.

dg
    May 17, 2010 at 4:54 pm

looks like a giant spider on the ceiling. it’s going to weird you out in the bedroom.

Jeanne W.
    May 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm

I would never think of painting the antique chandelier. It’s lovely as it is, and woulsd be my choice.

Cheryl
    May 17, 2010 at 5:16 pm

The spidery one seems more suitable for a loft or maybe that’s because that’s where I’ve seen it situated most often in magazines. Gazing into clear light bulbs in a bedroom might be too much. I love the look of chandeliers in bedrooms, would love one, in fact. The flowers on this one are not speaking to me but the curves and base part are. I can see switching out the lampshades to a color or pattern that jives with whatever bedding you choose or pillows. I’m a huge Jonathan Adler fan and I’ve seen this lamp fixture in magazines. But I think you want something a step up from this for a bedroom. You will be eyeing it, almost daily, so it’s got to capture your heart and make you happy, even on cloudy days.

Sarah
    May 17, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I like the Edison, and I think that if you installed a dimmer in your bedroom, the light would be really neat at night. I think that the Hailey chandelier might be a little too girly, especially in a bedroom that is shared with a man!

Kate
    May 17, 2010 at 5:45 pm

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the Edison style! So cool and chic

Cameron
    May 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I have been in love with the Edison chandelier since you posted it last week. I love everything about it—reminds me of fireworks! I asked my husband what he thought, and he said “Spidery.” I told him to go back to watching the news. I do like the Adler fixture, as well, but the Edison just makes me happy.

Alicia (Atypical Type A)
    May 17, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I say Insdustrial Cool, but it would be better in a kitchen or office. A softer, diffused light would be better in a bedroom.

I agree with Kathleen. I love the idea of revamping a vintage chandelier but not so much with a new one.

Here is what I am picturing…

LuLu
    May 17, 2010 at 6:44 pm

The Edison light fixture looks like a migraine waiting to happen. I think it might look cool in someone’s work studio but it’s not sexy, soft or lovely enough for a bedroom.

LuLu

JenWoodhouse.com
    May 17, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Just say no to the spider and say yes to option B! Beautiful, understated, classy, and shimmery – much more fitting with the rest of your bedroom decor.

Jan
    May 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm

I agree with you that the Edison Chandelier looks like a spider. It doesn’t seem like it belongs in a bedroom. I like the Jonathan Adler fixture.

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy
    May 17, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I’m all about the Hailey Antique Chandelier! go for it!!

Valerie
    May 17, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I vote for option B – it looks sophisticated and soothing in a simple way.

Blondie
    May 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I actually love the spider chandelier, but wonder if the bare bulbs might be glaring or useless (with dimmer) in a bedroom. My vote is for B, you can never go wrong with classic style. Accessories are what gives a room punch, not necessarily the lighting.

(This said by a woman with a massive collection of vintage 40’s-50s-60s fiberglass shaded lamps of all sizes and colors!) HA!

Nicole
    May 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Of all your picks, I LOVE the Adler lamp. Regarding the “spider” chandelier, glass is a pain to keep clean. I I have two glass pendants hanging over my kitchen sink and unless I windex them on a weekly basis, they look dirty. If you are hanging it above your bed, it would be even more of a task to climb on your bed and wipe every bulb.

If you want a new option, I love the Nelson bubble lamps. I don’t know how high your ceilings are but you can go with the round for higher ceilings or the saucer for lower ceilings. It is a classic that is timeless, modern, and chic. I am sure whatever you decide, it will be amazing!

Nicole K.

Laura
    May 17, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I definitely think you should cross that Edison light off the list because it is super energy inefficient. I know this is about style but you can get high style without 10 light bulbs. Hope I don’t sound too nerdy but it is totally worth considering. I like option C the best. It seems like the right thing for a bedroom plus it would be easy to use compact fluorescent bulbs with that fixture.

Meredith
    May 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I’ve always liked this anemone light — I think it would cast really beautiful spots on the ceiling!

Anna
    May 17, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I really like the idea of the antique flower chandelier in glossy green! What an awesome feature of the room and it would be a catalyst for all sorts of inspirational ideas for the rest of the bedroom! There is definitely something sexy and romantic about flowers in bedrooms and chandeliers…youd get the best of both worlds!

Nick
    May 17, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Kind of a weird question, but do people in chicago not use ceiling fans?

rosecampion
      May 20, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I live in the same town as Nicole and can’t imagine not having a ceiling fan in my bedroom. It makes the summer so much more tolerable.

Maybe she has central air?

julie d
    May 17, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Would you consider something like this? I am thinking of doing this one in our bedroom. It reminds me of the Edison, but not so spidery! Its clear, so you wouldn’t have to worry if you decided to change the colour of the bedroom later…and well priced too!

Steph
    May 18, 2010 at 8:04 am

Love the Edison light fixture. Yes, it does look spidery — but in an awesome way.

amy
    May 18, 2010 at 8:29 am

I really think the flowered one could be really beautiful with a fresh coat of paint. the details are what counts….and i think that its very detailed and lovely! Green would be perfect.

Budget Wise Home
    May 18, 2010 at 9:58 am

I am partial to the Jonathan Adler light. It’s so pretty and I love the pattern. I think the first one does look like a spider–sorry. Good luck with your choice. Can’t wait to see what you do.

Lisa
    May 18, 2010 at 11:07 am

I’ll take a pic if you want, but we opted for soft lighting for the bedroom. We took a Middle Eastern inspired lamp, hung it on the ceiling and put a light in it. It’s kind of like this: http://indiska.com/system/search/product.asp?id=3409&c=125&page=2&rnum=28
    except it has colored glass around the sides. I think the metal is copper on the one we have.

It depends on your lighting needs. We each have a reading light and there is a floor lamp if we need some extra light, but we hardly use it.

Pangaea
    May 18, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I like the Edison. A dimmer would be essential. I think they just show it in dining rooms in the photos because it just isn’t as common for people to hang chandeliers in their bedrooms. I LOVE chandeliers in the bedroom. Very romantic. So this one is sort of Industrial/romantic … is that a style?

Melissa Cordstone
    May 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I have to agree with the others, the black one totally looks like a spider. Once you see it that way, it’s hard to see it any other way. But I really love the antique flowers light, I think that will give it a nice sense of whimsical to it.

tim'spumpkinspice
    May 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

We have only one bare bulb in the fan above our bed and I can tell you that it is very annoying to be staring up at it. When I lay down on the bed, it is like staring at a spot on the sun- makes me squint. It is harsh on the eyes. Just fyi.

mari
    May 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I think I’m going to be in the minority here, but I’ve been craving that Edison Chandelier for our own bedroom for over a year!!! I was so happy to find it on your site today, I thought it was discontinued! Phew.
    Why don’t we have it? Number one: we’re working making the house sellable, not personal. Number two: I think our bedroom is way too small and the ceiling too low to showcase this lovely light.
    SO I think you have to get one so I can live vicariously through your bedroom! (and NO it doesn’t look like a damn spider)

Lori
    May 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

It is so interesting all the different opinions. I totally see a spider when I look at the first one. But I love the flower chandelier but painted something to make it cooler. Such great options!

Laura
    May 18, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Edison is a no for me. I was pleased with the selection at overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chandeliers-Pendants/34/subcat.html?count=120

CommaHappy
    May 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I’ve been coveting the Edison Chandelier too… but I think it would be better in an office or dining room. It seems a little too industrial and edgy. The Jonathan Adler one might be boring to you because you already have one but I think it would coordinate really well with your other items! Can’t wait to see what you choose.

Today Hilary
    May 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm

The first one might get a little scary at night.

I opened an online vintage and designer store – everything $30 and under. Let me know what you think….

Kelly Tirman
    May 19, 2010 at 2:25 am

I have wanted that Edison Chandelier for above my dinning room table since I first saw it in Pottery Barn. I think it is perfect for the dinning room but only someone with your talent could pull it off in a bedroom.

Felicity
    May 19, 2010 at 8:00 am

Spiders smiders! My husband would never go for it, but yours seems to be about the coolest, most agreeable to any design scheme you can think up, so I say go for it! If you hate it you can always bring it down to the dining room. Who says you can’t swap out light fixtures with the seasons???

Colleen
    May 19, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Spidery but cool… but yes, spidery.

I think you should go with the Hailey antique! I LOVE the idea of that in a mustard yellow! LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

Esther
    May 20, 2010 at 4:57 am

I live in New Zealand so just about peed in my pants at the ‘spidery’ chandelier. SOOO funky. Just nothing like that on this side of the globe. Big statement pieces are perfect for private places, edgy industrial stuff shouldn’t be reserved for public spaces and other people’s pleasure. We have a wall of black and white portrait images of great mental philosophers and mathematicians above our bed. Unusual – sure, but a constant source of quiet pleasure – absolutely. Thanks for showcasing such neat stuff! You are truly stylie!

rosecampion
    May 20, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I love the spider chandelier, but it just doesn’t say “bedroom” to me. Firstly, it looks to be huge. Maybe the cord length can be adjusted some? Secondly, the bare bulbs will be really hard to lie in bed and look up at. We never use the overhead light that’s in our ceiling fan because it’s such harsh light.

I love the floral chandelier. So much like the tole chandelier that was in my sister’s room growing up. I like it as is, but I could see how you might want to go for a solid color too.

You might also want to consider a ceiling fan. It makes sleeping in the summer so much more comfortable that’s its amazing. I know design folks hate them with a passion, but now that I have one in my bedroom, I will never live without one again. Some of the modern style fans aren’t too bad looking.

Daily Link RoundUp | Nice Dwells
    May 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

[…] Cool bedroom lighting picks (Making It Lovely) […]

Design Happens » Archive » Designer Lighting
    May 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm

[…] when it comes to the spaces where you spend the most time. For a bedroom makeover, check out these fashionable light […]

callie grayson
    June 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

love the edison light fixture!!
    xx
    callie

Making it Lovely | Transforming the so-so. » Blog Archive » The Edison Chandelier is Here
    June 7, 2010 at 3:11 pm

[…] the Edison is HUGE. Especially the […]

nancy
    February 20, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Where do you find the Edison Chandelier?