Happy Halloween from the Gruffalo’s Child and the Big Bad Mouse

Eleanor is still little enough to let Brandon and I choose her costume for her, but she’s big enough now at 2-1/2 to be excited about Halloween and the chance to dress up. August, being eight months old, goes along for the ride.

I had a hard time coming up with ideas for Halloween costumes this year. I don’t know why it took so long to settle on the Gruffalo, since Eleanor’s favorite books right now are The Gruffalo, and The Gruffalo’s Child, but E was all over the idea. With one modification: She wanted to be the Gruffalo’s child.

Happy to oblige, I set about figuring out how to make her costume. Because of course I was going to make Halloween costumes for both kids. No matter that I’m busier than ever, borderline overwhelmed with work as it is, and oh yeah… I have two kids now, not just one. And I’m not that great at sewing. And I’ve never worked with fake fur. And Halloween was coming up fast. And our house has been a hot zone with one of more persons here being sick for the last two weeks.

What? Awesome! Bring it on.

I started the costumes on Friday night. The fabric store had been pretty well picked over by the time I had gotten around to shopping for fabric. I had more than enough fleece for August’s mouse costume, but it was going to be tight for E’s. I started with the mouse so that I could get a little practice in, which helped. I made a few (mostly minor) mistakes that I learned from before starting on Eleanor’s.

I had a pattern for the costumes, but when I opened it and saw eight pages of instructions, plus confusing and tissue paper thin templates, I gave up on the pattern pretty quickly. The diagrams did help for making the hat though, so it wasn’t a total waste. I just held up the kids’ pajamas to get the sizing right on the rest of the costumes.

You guys, I did it. Yes, those costumes took hours upon hours, but it was worth it.

August’s pants were too short so I had to pull his socks up to cover his legs, but I decided he looked cute. Like Angus Young as a mouse.

Eleanor had been nursing a cold, and she exemplifies the worst toddler traits when she isn’t feeling well, so I was afraid she wouldn’t want to wear her costume. She refused to try on the hat when I asked her to the night before. She woke up feeling better though, and she wore the costume all day!

August is still pretty sick, so he stayed home with Brandon while I took Eleanor out to trick-or-treat. We had been practicing our Halloween etiquette at home (and teaching her the whole “smell my feet” song), but she gets shy and quiet around strangers so she just stood there and thrust out her bucket at each house.

August was out of his costume by the time we got back, but Eleanor stayed in hers all night. I think she enjoyed answering the door for people more than she liked hitting up the neighbors houses. She went to the door each time, yelling “hi kids!” and passing out candy. She did ask later though, “Mama, we trick-or-treat tomorrow?”

Being a parent is so good.

75 Responses to “Happy Halloween from the Gruffalo’s Child and the Big Bad Mouse”

1. NicoleD November 2, 2011 at 9:24 am #

WONDERFUL job! They looks so insanely cute!

2. Kristín November 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

wow, I’m impressed! They look super cute, love the Gruffalo books, can’t wait to read them to my little guy when he gets older.

3. tracy November 2, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

So impressive! I can’t believe you sewed that! My son is 3 and dressing him this year WAS A CHORE. He was super duper indecisive about what he wanted to be AND opinionated. I had all the intentions of making his costume but he couldn’t give me a decent direction. There’s no way I could make him a rocket ship costume. And he also wanted to be a BASKETBALL. Like the ball. What?! He’s also very particular about wearing hats and looking silly.

Just wait til next year….

At least you know you have a couple more years with August. Haha.

4. Jen @ Rambling Renovators November 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

Way to go mom! We can only dress these kids for a few years, might as well go all out, right?

5. Ann November 2, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

She is getting so tall!!

6. Tina November 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm #

I love that she yelled “hi kids”! Great job on the costumes.

7. arundati November 3, 2011 at 5:41 am #

incredibly cute costumes and the kids in those look almost edible! thank god i live across the globe! and may i say that you are looking fab!

8. Missy November 3, 2011 at 8:53 am #

The kids look adorable. Love their costumes. But I gotta be honest – I also LOVE the dress you’re wearing! Where did you get it?!

9. Amber November 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

I have no interest in ever having children, but if I ever do I hope to be as awesome as you are. Your kids are going to have so many great memories!

10. Leone November 5, 2011 at 8:18 am #

The costumes look absolutely adorable. Great job and I appreciate the Angus Young reference. :D

11. Eileen October 18, 2012 at 9:30 am #

Gruffalo is so adorable …. all worth the effort !

12. eilval October 21, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Nicole , would like to know if I could feature this impressive costume on my squidoo lens which is still in progress : http://www.squidoo.com/best-loved-halloween-decorating-ideas . Thank you so much .

1. A Dollhouse Made Lovely | Making it Lovely - December 15, 2011

[…] make some art for the room, but I ran out of time. I made the rug out of leftover furry fabric from Eleanor’s Halloween costume. Again, I already had the chair, but added a kitty to sleep in it. I painted the dresser pink and […]

2. Eighteen Months Old (August’s Monthly Photo) | Making it Lovely - August 8, 2012

[…] She loves it, and the photos are so nice to have. Lately, she’s been wearing the hat from the Gruffalo costume that I made for her last Halloween. The whole costume still fits too, though it’s too short in the arms and legs […]