Bedroom

The Bedroom’s Mini-Makeover

Coral & Gray, with Black & White Details

Coral and Gray Bedroom with Black and White, Making it Lovely

The bedroom is looking a bit different these days. The shell of the room is the same. Same charcoal gray walls, same layout, same bed. All the furniture is the same, actually. The only changes have been the bed linens and the botanical print from the living room.

Coral and Gray Bedroom with Black and White, Making it Lovely

I’m not sure how much longer we’ll be able to keep the lighting fixture in the room. Both kids want to swing from it.

Details, texture…

Coral and Gray Bedroom with Black and White Details, Making it Lovely

The book situation, as usual, is a little out of hand. The bookshelf is starting to see books stacked two deep, and Brandon and I each have stacks on top of, underneath, and to the sides of our bedside tables. The library bookshelves are already full though.

Bookshelf in the Bedroom, Making it Lovely

Books on the Bedside Table, Making it Lovely

The black and white pillows and throw were from IKEA, and the coral bedding was from west elm. Little changes (only a mini-makeover, remember), but I love the look.

Botanical Print in a Coral and Gray Bedroom with Black and White, Making it Lovely

Coral and Gray Bedroom with Black and White, Making it Lovely

Sources & Paint ColorsNeed design help? Let's work together.

You Might Also Like...

Camille
    July 26, 2012 at 2:53 pm

It’s beautiful, calm, and relaxing! I like that you’ve been able to add girly accents without overkill (I’m sure your husband is quite comfortable there). Love how a few small changes makes a big impact!

Christine
    July 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Little changes, but wow, what a difference!! I love the colour palette. Are those hospital corners? I’ve got a similar type bed frame and I never know what do do with the over hang…

Making it Lovely
      July 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Yes. When I have the down comforter in the winter, I let that hang over the edges, but when it’s just a thin quilt, I tuck it under.

Jessie {My Mod Style}
    July 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Beautiful. Soothing and relaxing! It would be weird to see your room without the light fixture! It’s so awesome.

Sara Rose
    July 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

It reminds me a lot of our bedroom. Girly without overkill. We have a color theme of tomato red, goldenrod yellow, and dark teal. Nolan and I can both work with this well. Sigh despite my deep squealy WANT of a pink and grey bedroom. BUT, that botanical print? REALLY NICE. Just add a small bouquet of fresh flowers on your side of the bed that is small, that you change out weekly and it will be perfect!!!

Caitlin @ Desert Domicile
    July 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Your mini-makeover is gorgeous! I love the coral paired with the charcoal gray and the botanical print makes the whole room come together. Can’t wait to see what you choose for a new light fixture (if you change it, that is)!

Audrey - This Little Street
    July 26, 2012 at 3:35 pm

LOve it – it really looks beautiful!! Sometimes the smallest things can make a big difference! :)

Melanie
    July 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this space. Huge fan of charcoal grey and what a nice blend with the textures. If you’re selling that light fixture I can give it a loving home lol.

Julee
    July 26, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Love this!! We just painted our bedroom gray too. I wish I could convince my husband to add a touch of pink. Still working on that.
    Your bedroom is gorgeous!

Melissa
    July 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Love this! The botanical print looks amazing against the charcoal walls.

Christina W.
    July 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I can’t get over how good the ceiling looks! Ugh if only my landlord would let me touch the ceiling in my apartment. >_< Also I think this is the push I need to buy that IKEA pillow. I always pick it up and hug/pet it a bit whenever we go but it never comes home with me because I already have one thousand black and white pillows.

Alisha E
    July 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Love this! You nailed the pink– truly lovely, but the black accents make it man-friendly;). And I LOVE that light fixture, oh I hope it finds a great new home if it becomes a safety hazard!

patricia
    July 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

you have a very keen eye for mixing colors. I love the minitransformation. I;m in the process of doing a mini makeover of our bedroom which we share with our now toddler. I have to get very creative on this one. But Im loving a blueish gray color for the wall to make it soothing yet modern. Thanks for the inspiration

Ashley {GirlyObsessions}
    July 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Wow, I love it! I love the black and gray with hits of soft pink. A great feminine/masculine balance! I love your mix of patterns with the bedding. And I have that wood @ sign! I love it!!

Yasmine
    July 26, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Oh, this is SO beautiful, Nicole! I don’t think I ever realized what a difference bedding makes, until I scrolled through your before (green/yellow) and after (coral/black&white) posts side-by-side. I love BOTH looks. It’s amazing that the only thing you changed is the bedding, and the addition of the botanical print (which goes perfectly with the new bedding, of course)!

I have the same black&white throw (I have it draped over my futon), and it made me smile to see a familiar item in your post. Makes me feel like I could recreate a setup this beautiful and soothing in my own home, too! =)

Mel J
    July 26, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I love, love, love this. They aren’t colours that I would consider putting together but yet it works so well. I have pinned this and one day when we have our own house I will use it!

Sarah W
    July 26, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I love it! It’s amazing the difference just a few changes can make!

Melissa
    July 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Where are your nightstand sconces from? I love them!

Jaimie
    July 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I love that light fixture, but you gotta be practical with those sort of things, especially if it’s a safety hazard. It looks great. I loved the before too with the green (my favorite color :) ).

Wrenaria
    July 26, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Gorgeous. Love the changes.

Meghan
    July 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Holy Canoli! Beautiful!

Alison @ The Peacock Diaries
    July 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Lovely! I am still happy with my current bedding ensemble (black and white, with touches of gray), but I’m definitely tucking this one away for inspiration in the future. I also had to laugh because the black and white throw you have on top of the bedspread is the same one I have in my dog’s crate. She likes sophisticated accessories, too!

As for the books, I can relate…I am truly grateful to live 2 blocks away from a very decent library (sadly, this is a rarity in NYC). I love owning books and being surrounded by books, but I have realized that I also like to read books that I don’t need to own. I keep my bookshelves filled with the books that I need near me all the time, and my nightstand has a constant rotation of great books from the library.

Making it Lovely
      August 2, 2012 at 5:00 pm

We really should use our library more. We do for kids books, but I think Brandon and I both like to own the books we read because we came from a bookstore background.

Catherine
    July 26, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Oh wow, it is so soothing and stunning at the same time! And I don’t think you can ever have too many books, so don’t worry about it. :)

kathryn
    July 26, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I am in love with your bed. I have seen it now with so many colors and it always looks wonderful. I have been looking at the Hoffman bed for some time but could not decide on a color. Thanks for the endless inspiration.

kathryn
      July 26, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Can you tell me which fabric you had the bed upholstered in please?

Making it Lovely
        August 2, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think it was just called taupe, but I’m not sure. The fabrics have changed since we first bought the bed five years ago.

Jenna
    July 26, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Wow! It’s so beautiful! That coral and gray together are to die for!

Heather
    July 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Pretty! When the book situation is out of control, it’s time to start using the library. =)

casacaudill
    July 27, 2012 at 7:21 am

Where is your bed from?

Inge @ SimplyFabulousChic
    July 27, 2012 at 7:50 am

This is what my bedroom should look like but doesn’t. ;-) Love the look and feel of this room. And the stack of books… I want to take a nap there! It is absolutely a.dor.able!!!
    Inge x

Emma
    July 27, 2012 at 8:20 am

Beautiful!

Where is your bed from? I’m looking for one just like it.

Dianne
    July 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

Love the changes you made. It goes to show how a room can be transformed with just “a few tweaks”.

Nicole, where did you get your headboard?

THANKS,
    Dianne

Making it Lovely
      August 2, 2012 at 5:02 pm

The headboard is part of the Hoffman bed from Room & Board. It’s a great bed!

Jenn
    July 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

Lovely!! Two of my favorite colors, coral and grey! I am pinning this for inspiration in my own home. I would love to know where the black, round wallhanging is from, if I may ask?

Faith @ Ordinary Mommy Design
    July 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

So pretty! I love how the touches of pink/coral don’t make the room feel overly girly. Perfect.

stephieZ
    July 27, 2012 at 10:30 am

Wow, I love the color combo!!! I also LOVe the wall color? If you don’t mind my asking what is the name of it and whos line is it from? Thanks!! I’m defintely pinning this for inspiration! All it takes is a bit of change to make your house feel new.

stephieZ
      July 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

So I hunted it down through the links above- Martha Stewart Zinc. :)

how2home
    July 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

Absolutely adore what you have done to your bedroom. Looks super adorable and chic. That light fixture is a total eye catcher! Beautiful details :)

kat
    July 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

have you done a book purge? it sounds like you need to go through and evaluate what you’re going to read again/keep for the kiddos

Jen
    July 27, 2012 at 11:42 am

It is so pretty. I would want to stay in bed allllll day. <3

xoxo,
    Jen

Mona
    July 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Love it! Thought you’d like to see your botannical print in another room at

I like your black frame better!!

Uncle Beefy
    July 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm

It’s STUNNING, Nicole! I love it! And it’s such a great balance between light and dark and I’d be plenty happy to slumber in such a lovely space. :)

eskimo*rose
    July 30, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Love the line drawing cushion … do you mind me asking where its from?

Caty
    July 30, 2012 at 7:02 pm

2 questions: Do you happen to remember the color name of your wall paint? Is you ceiling the same gray, or is it a lighter shade? I can’t tell.

PS Gorgeous room.

Making it Lovely
      August 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm

The ceiling and walls are all Martha Stewart, “Zinc.”

Pink Diva Cafe Oklahoma City | Coral and Gray, Lovely for the Bedroom
    July 30, 2012 at 9:52 pm

[…]  bedroom makeover with coral, gray and a touch of black and white. Check out her divine design HERE. Home design oklahoma cityOklahoma bloggersOklahoma blogsOklahoma Home Decor BlogsOklahoma Home […]

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home
    July 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

I really love the graphic black and white mixed with the coral and grey – just stunning! We also have that Ikea pillow, but we may need to pick up that throw now, too!

Sarah K
    July 31, 2012 at 11:08 am

Love the coral combined with the pops of black and white!

Jove Arthur
    August 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Great work on this. I like the combination of colors. It is very girly even though black is used. I find the closet doors very simple yet elegant.

kathryn
    August 3, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thank you! I am also happy to hear that it has held up so beautifully for 5 years!

Eva
    August 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

If you decide to sell that light, i’ll buy it! I have always loved that light and missed it at PB when it was there. I recently moved to Oak Park, so no shipping required!

Stacey
    August 26, 2012 at 5:31 am

absolutely stunning! where are the curtains and rod from?

Fab Holiday Gift Guide | Making it Lovely
    December 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

[…] Fab for a long time. I’ve bought some awesome things through them, like my Eames bird and my giant botanical print; they’re good at featuring great design and quirky stuff from independent designers. Today, […]

Overhead Lighting
    February 7, 2013 at 6:44 am

[…] Making It Lovely […]

Lauren
    February 7, 2013 at 8:17 am

What a lovely space! I’ve been thinking about painting our bedroom a similar gray color and I think you’ve just pushed me over the edge!

Pamela
    March 27, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hi there! I love the @ sign on the bookcase. Where did you find it?

Marie Vlasic
    April 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I’m so glad I stumbled on this! I am working on a “forced” bedroom re-do right now (the wall was literally falling in ;-) and decided on gray before I saw this. Love it! Looks terrific. The plan so far is white and black accents with a couple shots of magenta for pop. Wish me luck! BTW What shade is your gray? See my “before” wall here: http://theyearoflivingfabulously.com/2013/03/29/when-the-walls-come-tumbling-down/

Jackson
    April 21, 2013 at 6:48 am

I live in an eency weency space and have tons of books myself, mostly art, photography, architecture coffee table books, oodles of fiction, and sundry non-fiction. Your book situation looks like mine. It’s time for double duty furniture. I have hollow ottomans full of books, for example. The list goes on. I think every major furniture designer and design house has some variation.

Let’s Go! | Making it Lovely
    May 23, 2013 at 9:34 am

[…] pretty sure that’s only going to appeal to a very small segment of the market. I think the Edison chandelier in the bedroom is probably pretty taste-specific […]

Setting the Stage | Making it Lovely
    June 14, 2013 at 7:31 am

[…] over the years, but we did do a few things to stage it. The biggest change we made was swapping out the Edison chandelier in the bedroom for a simple schoolhouse fixture. We loved the other fixture, but it was so taste-specific (you […]

15 Shades of Gray – Cool Interior Design Trend | MyWebRoom
    September 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

[…] Round bulbs are ready to brighten up a dark gray room. […]

The Double Parlors, Shortly After Moving in | Making it Lovely
    September 19, 2013 at 1:05 pm

[…] to brown and gray town. We had that rug in our bedroom at the old house, but it’s probably going to go in August’s room soon. It’s a little small for the […]

Eleanor’s Dark Walls and Ceiling | Making it Lovely
    November 7, 2013 at 10:30 am

[…] no stranger to a painted ceiling, even in a darker color. It’s not exactly playful though, and I would have chosen something more fun for a kid’s […]

10 Bedroom Chandeliers That Set The Mood
    February 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm

[…] is definitely a standalone piece with tons of personality. Plus, it’s huge! Nicole of Making it Lovely toyed with the idea of more traditional chandeliers, but thank goodness she decided to stick with […]

Pink & Gray Bedrooms You’ll Fall In Love With | the official blog
    November 20, 2015 at 9:20 pm

[…] via […]

Brown is Back – Making it Lovely
    October 27, 2016 at 11:25 am

[…] is fine (we loved our gray bedroom), but it has been everywhere for the past decade. Beige is coming back too, and all white is still […]