I did something stupid to my e-mail. As a result, most of the e-mail I thought I had been sending had in fact gone nowhere.
A warning and an apology: This is a boring post. Sorry. I’ll have something better next time.
I don’t have a laptop, so I decided to get a phone that could check my e-mail. E-mail and internet access are essential to my work, and I figured it would be a smart investment.
I had T-Mobile, so I bought a Blackberry Pearl. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that it only duplicates the e-mail on the phone – it doesn’t actually sync with the server. You have to manually go in and read each message and delete things one by one. So for someone like me that gets a million e-mails a day (not including all the spam that my Apple mail filters out that I normally wouldn’t have to see), that’s really not very useful.
I figured I was missing something, so I called customer service. They walked me through the process of working around the default method so that the e-mail on my phone would actually be up to date with the e-mail on my server. Wonderful. Except it screwed everything up.
Yeah. So I returned that phone, switched over to AT&T, and bought an iPhone instead.
I love it.
Anyway, I’m re-responding to the bajillion e-mails that I got in the last week and a half. Again. Sorry if you’re one of the people I haven’t gotten back to yet… I’m working on it.