Pink Painted Dresser

The dresser for the nursery is finally finished. I never took a true ‘before’ shot, but it was a lovely wood dresser with a poor finish. It was in our garage for a while and then it sat primed in the basement because I wasn’t sure what color to paint it. White would have been a nice, safe choice, but I think pink is much more fun (especially since we left the walls of the nursery neutral).

Pink Painted Dresser

The doors in the front open to reveal two more drawers. They’re still the original wood color for now, though Brandon thinks they’re a good opportunity to add another (brighter/bolder) color.

Pink Painted Dresser

I lined the drawers with the crazy lady floral wallpaper that I bought for the dining room (and did NOT use). The teeny tiny baby clothes look really sweet against the lining.

Inside the Dresser Drawer

90 Responses to “Pink Painted Dresser”

1. xin January 15, 2009 at 10:34 am #

Gorgeous piece! Cannot wait to see the finished room!

2. Amy@OldSweetSong January 15, 2009 at 10:39 am #

Excuse me while I clean up the drool that is now all over my keyboard. That is one gorg piece of fruniture. Well done!

3. L January 15, 2009 at 10:49 am #

I love it! I really like brown and pink these days. So I’d go for the chocolate color or a light brown on the drawers, but the green is also a nice color. I think white would be anticlimactic given the drawer lining and the outside paint.

I love the tshirt! I have a few friends who are expecting and they’ll be getting that tshirt!

4. teresa January 15, 2009 at 10:53 am #

I’m an idiot – I just re-read the post where it stated that you had primed the dresser before you painted it. Please disregard my previous question. I think I’m getting “pregnancy brain”.

5. seesaw designs January 15, 2009 at 11:24 am #

this is really gorgeous! great job.

6. Kelley Lilien January 15, 2009 at 12:03 pm #

totally TOTALLY inspired to re-fab a few of my furniture pieces! You’ve got magic, girl – everything you touch turns to gold! Love your stuff – every single morsel!!!

inspired…
    Kelley

7. Patricia Fontes January 15, 2009 at 12:51 pm #

Love the dresser! I am also having a girl, didn’t decide yet for furniture! Good ideas! Which crib did you get?

8. Krysta January 15, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

The dresser is gorgeous! I want one for myself in the same pink!

9. Hilary January 15, 2009 at 1:10 pm #

Oh wow i love the dresser, its gorgeous.

10. Cindy January 15, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

Beautiful dresser. I love that even though you painted it pink, it doesn’t scream “Kid’s room”, so it can grow with her.

11. Amanda January 15, 2009 at 2:54 pm #

That pink dresser is so sweet!

12. JLC January 15, 2009 at 7:13 pm #

Maybe paint the drawers a fern green?

13. Kristin January 15, 2009 at 8:59 pm #

i’m in my 20s and i would love that dresser in my room! wonderful.

14. Miss B. January 15, 2009 at 10:37 pm #

I LOVE everything! Is it weird wish you were my mom? Oh how lucky this little girl is!

15. kristen January 16, 2009 at 10:41 am #

ohhh, this is so SWEET! i love that wallpaper, and LOVE the dresser painted pink. what a sweet little girl’s room! and, it’s great that you are making a room for her to grown into..i am a nanny, and it seems so many parents want to do an “infant” room and then do a “kids'” room, when really the two should be able to go together…after all, they aren’t an infant for very long.

so cute!

16. Kelly January 17, 2009 at 8:03 am #

Very Sweet!!!!!The play area is a great use of that space. In just a few years it will get lots of use.

17. pve design January 17, 2009 at 10:09 am #

who would not love playing and reading there or opening those drawers with that lining. It reminds me of my wallpaper when I was a child. Flowery, girly and lovely.

18. ruby January 18, 2009 at 1:55 am #

the pink is utterly perfect. i love that you went with that over white, i think it is so pretty and feminine… and the fabric in the drawers? i think i might be in love!

your little one has the most beautiful nursery i have ever seen :)

19. Making it Lovely January 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

Patricia, I went with a black Jenny Lind crib. Brandon and I each slept in the same style when we were babies – I love that it’s such a classic design.

20. Kathy January 19, 2009 at 12:50 pm #

ADORABALE! i love it, i have a baby girl – 7 months. Before I found out, i wanted a boy, but i have been so blessed with my precious daughter, i love having a girl. Congrats to you!!

21. Anne @ The City Sage January 19, 2009 at 10:41 pm #

What an amazing job you did refinishing that dresser–it was a lovely piece to begin with (love the shape and the detailing!) but you took it too a whole other level!

And I’m smiling ear to ear at your egg-a-go-go onesie. i bought that for a co-worker who just welcomed his first child and it is simply adorable!

22. kandice January 20, 2009 at 6:39 pm #

um, i want that.

23. bungalowbliss January 21, 2009 at 10:22 am #

That is just the sweetest color…not sickeningly-sweet pink, just perfect. It’s a beautiful piece, and I really, really like the wallpaper you used to line the drawers. Beautiful!

24. Sarah January 22, 2009 at 12:28 pm #

I love the pink dresser! Its beautiful!

25. midcentury furniture January 24, 2009 at 12:26 am #

almost every women loves pink, if someone says she doesn’t like pink then maybe I’ll need to shoot her down with truth serum!!

26. Down Pillow January 24, 2009 at 11:16 pm #

I love how the doors fly out and expose the internal drawers.

27. Kimba @ A Soft Place to Land January 31, 2009 at 10:00 am #

What a beautiful piece! I linked to you today.

Kimba

28. Kara January 31, 2009 at 3:52 pm #

This is just gorgeous, I love the shade of pink! Using wallpaper to line the inside of drawers is such a fabulous idea!!

29. Dee Carden February 2, 2009 at 10:20 am #

Another paint question. I am in the middle of painting a desk with Aura paint and it’s not looking so good! I usually brush back into my strokes as I’m laying on the paint, usually oil based.
    But from your suggestion above, I take it the best way is to brush only in one direction as you lay on first strokes? And then as you recommend, go the other way, feathering into the wet paint?

30. Amy Story February 5, 2009 at 8:07 am #

Hey that dresser looks wonderful. I have one that I want to do. But I have no idea where to start. CAn you help me please.

31. jen February 9, 2009 at 12:49 pm #

o, i love that so much! the perfect shade of pink.

32. Erica March 6, 2010 at 3:33 pm #

I love, LOVE that dresser – both the style and color! It has completely inspired me as I change my daughter’s room from a baby room to a girls room. Do you know what the style of that dresser is? What would I call it if I tried to google search it? I want to find something as unique and cool. I am completely unappreciative of all the flat-front furniture that is being manufactured today :(.

Thanks.

33. Adriana May 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm #

What process do you utilize for painting furniture and what color is it?? Thank you!!

34. Samantha June 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

i love the dresser. I am stuck with a primed dresser as well and have been looking for the perfect pink! what color did you paint yours? its gorgeous!

35. Christina July 24, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I just found your blog through Honest to Nod and love this dresser. You have inspired me!! I have a little girl 8 months old. I have the nursery all set except this armoire that I want to paint. It was passed down to me and has a painted farm scene on it…not our taste ;) So I wanted to paint the armoire pink…but some said I should just paint it white…so after deciding on a pink…I started looking at white samples…well…you have have convinced me…it is being painted pink!! You did a great job…any tips how to paint the furniture? What finish did you use, brushes, etc…this will be my first time painting a piece of furniture.

1. Eleanor’s New Bedroom (It’s Almost Done!) | Making it Lovely - May 11, 2011

[…] have a few more little peeks into Eleanor’s new bedroom for you today. The vintage dresser that we painted pink is there. It needs something above it, I think. Oh, and pay no attention to the holes in the wall […]

2. Eleanor’s New Bedroom | Making it Lovely - February 2, 2012

[…] so do take a look if you’d like to know where something specific came from.Here’s the vintage dresser from her nursery that we painted pink. I hung a mirror (it’s named the Eleanor Mirror!) above […]

3. Eleanor’s Nursery | Making it Lovely - April 23, 2012

[…] better suited to the small scale of our nursery.We have some paper suitcases from my shop on top of the dresser that we painted pink. There’s also a big metal ‘E’ and a pink vase from a garage sale, along with […]

4. August’s Nursery | Making it Lovely - April 23, 2012

[…] animals in a basket next to the crib.Opposite the crib is August’s dresser. There was a vintage dresser that we painted pink for Eleanor when this was her nursery, but that’s now in her new bedroom. We replaced it with […]