Om

We’ve just returned from a family reunion this weekend at Backbone State Park in Iowa. It was a lovely trip, but we’re glad to be home too.

I’m feeling a bit… overwhelmed, trying to get back into the rhythm of things. Do you ever feel this way? Already today I have overnighted a package to a magazine for a fun project in the works, invoiced an overseas customer for a bulk order from the shop, processed five other Pink Loves Brown orders, and I am now working on a crafty tutorial to go along with that package I shipped to the magazine. I also let Eleanor nap on me this morning which didn’t do much for my productivity, but it is one of my favorite things to do. Anyway, it’s wonderful to be so busy (so much better than not having any work coming in), but it is sometimes difficult to find enough hours in a day.

And oh my, Brandon bought The Twilight Saga for me. No, I hadn’t read any of them, and I hadn’t seen any of the movies, and I hadn’t intended to. We were discussing the series the other day though and I mentioned that I hadn’t heard of anyone being disappointed in reading the books. I said that while they are certainly not serious literature, they must be fun to read. So he surprised me with the full set. Hardcover. Complete with a decorative slipcase and limited edition print. I’m already almost finished with the first book (they go quickly), and I can’t wait to keep reading.

I’ve also been greatly enjoying reading your questions for John Gidding. If you haven’t added yours yet (for the chance to win some pretty amazing prizes), feel free to do so here. We’ll be answering as many as we can on Thursday night at 8:30 EST during our Twitter Chat (follow along with #AmexHome), but you’ve also given me some ideas for future topics here on Making it Lovely.

Let me leave you with this photo today. I think it’s hilarious, but it also makes me think I should just stop for a few minutes, close my eyes, and relax. Om…

Om

63 Responses to “Om”

1. Bridget July 28, 2010 at 11:02 pm #

She is so precious!! This is my favorite photo of her yet!! Her features look so soft and perfect . . . quite pretty! It looks like she is getting tall . . . or is it just the angle of the picture? How great for her to have such a great collection of photos for her to see when she is older . . . Does she have her own blog yet?

2. angie July 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm #

You know, I’ll be the first to admit I thought I was waaay to high brow for the Twilight Saga, but I read them all, and loved them all. I really did. Enjoy some fun summer reading!

3. deanna July 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm #

That little girl of yours is just too adorable.

I loved the Twilight books … and I really can’t say why. They aren’t High-Lit and they aren’t very well written. I like the term “brain candy” above. But there is something strangely alluring about the story.

I too love the Hunger Games. The third one comes out very soon and I am looking forward to it.

4. Kait July 31, 2010 at 9:40 am #

My sister is a young adult librarian so I get wind of all the YA books that are interesting for adults too. I loved the Twilight books when they first came out, but the last book kind of “jumped the shark” for me. They are still good for fun, summer reading if you can overlook some of the clunky writing. I agree with the suggestion of the Hunger Games books. AMAZING. The last one, Mockingjay, comes out at the end of August! Also, Graceling by Kristin Cashore was really, really good. Incarceron by Catherine Fisher is also supposed to be a good fantasy book like Hunger Games. Ok, I’ll stop now. Enjoy the vampires and wolves!

5. Oonafey August 3, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Um, yeah… I had absolutely no interest in reading the Twilight series (even though I am a die-hard fan of the “chick-lit does supernatural” genre). Then my damn aunt went and bought the first one for me for Christmas. I read it in two sittings and went out the next day and bought the set.
    I am still not a fan of the movies. I also do not understand the Robert Pattinson thing. I think he looks like he has a mild case of Down Syndrome.

6. Amandelin August 4, 2010 at 3:07 pm #

I’ll chime and be one of the people in the vast minority who does *not* like Twilight. While I’m glad it’s getting people reading (…I suppose), I have major problems with the writing, characterization, and prevalent themes in the stories. First of all, Meyer relies *really* heavily on adverbs, which are generally the weakest part of the English language. I only got through about a quarter of the first one before I got too ridiculously frustrated to continue and put it down.

That aside, I have a lot of discomfort with how the Bella/Edward love story is being touted as the “most romantic thing ever.” What we have, essentially, is an insecure teenage girl who gets COMPLETELY OBSESSED with a guy she has known for basically a week, and is willing to give up her entire life for him. Literally, she is willing to *die* so that they can “be together.” I’m just really not sure we should be telling teens and pre-teens that perfect love involves that massive of a power imbalance and that being in love equals wanting to LITERALLY DIE if you cannot be with your boyfriend.

Not to mention that Papa Cullen apparently got his penetrative sexual metaphor necking on with attractive teenagers. Does no one else have a problem with that? Because I do.

7. Michelle August 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

Hello, been reading your blog, love the MIY ideas/series. I know this is an old post but ugh, I am one who hated Twilight. Sorry! I heard so much about it so I put myself on the waiting list at the library. I read half the first one until I couldn’t stand it any more. I typically love to read easy brain candy type books. Right now I am reading Karen Robards, and those are absolutely not high literature.

Your husband is a brave man — I never spend money on a book unless I know for sure I will love it. I’m a big fan of the library. (And OH MY does OP have a fantastic library!!!!)

Since you own them in hardcover, hoping they were a great investment! Maybe I should try them again. After all, I didn’t like Harry Potter either and then I managed to read 5 of the books the 2nd time I tried them… hmm.