My Newly Redone Office

I’ve spent the last month working on redecorating my home office. I partnered with Sherwin-Williams, using the new HGTV® HOME by Sherwin-Williams color collections and paint and a $1000 budget. Want to see how it turned out?

I think it’s looking really cute. Let’s take a closer look at each of the issues I addressed…

The Rug Vs. the Chair

The existing zigzag rug stayed, and I managed to find an affordable used Eames Management chair. In pink, no less! I would like to reupholster it someday, but I can rock the eighties’ dusty rose for a while.

The Computer (and the Wall Behind it)

The old computer that was sitting behind my new one (a silly thing to do) is now in the basement, and I’ll be setting up a desk down there for it eventually. I cleaned up the cords beneath my desk and from the desk to the printer behind me as well.

I chose art to go above the computer that could actually be seen, and moved the mirror (that was half-blocked) to the adjacent wall. The bird painting is by Amy Ruppel, the portait was from Paul Ferney, and the wall sculptures were discussed here.

Storage and Organization

I had to empty the huge shelving unit to paint the wall behind it (what a pain in the rear that was). The good thing about that though was that it forced me to rethink the way I put everything back. I was able to go through a lot of the books and things that I had on the shelves, and I pared it all down. Then I added some matching baskets along the bottom to make the toys look nicer, and I didn’t need to do anything further to organize my things.

The Curtain as a Closet Door

The curtain is gone! A door was fitted and hung for the closet, which cost more than I had anticipated and took a third of the budget. I love it though! A curtain for a door is fine, and a lot of people like that solution, but a true door feels more polished and keeps the kids and cats out. I painted the door the same color (“Snowbound,” #SW 7004 / LL17, semi-gloss) as the rest of the trim .

The Window

I painted the window white as well and chose to hang simple curtains from IKEA that match the wall color. I also planned to add a sheer roller shade, but my usual go-to (Enje shades) are unavailable right now.

Painting the Trim and the Walls

I used the new line of paint from HGTV® HOME by Sherwin-Williams for the office. The walls are “Contented” (#SW 6191 / LL12, flat finish) from the Livable Luxe collection, and I painted all of the trim “Snowbound” (#SW 7004 / LL17, semi-gloss), a white from the same color collection. The wall color is that hard to define color between green, blue, and gray, and it seems to be popping up everywhere these days. The color was a bit of a departure for me, but as I narrowed down my paint swatches, I kept finding myself drawn to it.

Lighting

The old ceiling fan that came with the house had seen better days. I still love the Jonathan Adler light that I chose for my former studio (now Eleanor’s room), so I picked up another to swap the office ceiling fan out for.

A Place for the Kids

I spend a lot of time in my office, so I was sure to include space for Eleanor and August to play. The small table and chairs are light enough to move them out of the way, but Eleanor loves coloring or playing there.

There you have it!

I love the way the office turned out. The office in our old apartment was pink, and when Brandon and I moved here, I chose the exact same color to quickly get my office ready. After nearly a decade with a pink office, I’m still getting used to the new color but I’m loving the white trim and the closet door. It feels good to have the space freshened up.

129 Responses to “My Newly Redone Office”

1. Yvonne August 16, 2011 at 6:57 am #

LOVE IT!!! There something about home offices that I love and yours is on my list now. I really love your chair, I think I need to copy that. Thanks so much for the inspiration xox Y

2. VikaMoka August 16, 2011 at 7:06 am #

All I can say is that it’s lovely!! I wish you the best of times with your kids in your new gorgeous office :D

3. Stephanie August 16, 2011 at 7:21 am #

Love, love, love the new office! The new wall color looks especially great. Do you know the name of the curtains you got at Ikea? Are they a bluish-gray?

• Making it Lovely August 16, 2011 at 8:41 am #

They aren’t on the website, but they are called Ransby. Mine are blueish gray, but they come in three or four neutrals (a more greenish gray, taupe, and maybe a more pure gray too).

• Stephanie August 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Thank you!!

4. Andrea Howe August 16, 2011 at 7:30 am #

Love everything about it. Nice job Nicole!

5. Alli August 16, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Wow! I really love it! What is the style name of the curtains you bought from IKEA? Thanks :)

6. Giulia August 16, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Great job. Love the storage and your art, it all came together beautifully.

7. Katie August 16, 2011 at 7:55 am #

Lovely! Where did you get the round mirror?

8. Candice August 16, 2011 at 7:56 am #

Gorgeous! My favorite part is the “beauty” banner and all going on under it. What are those cabinets underneath the banner? They are great. Thanks for sharing.

9. Katie August 16, 2011 at 8:00 am #

So lovely and amazing! It looks fantastic! xo

10. dg August 16, 2011 at 8:14 am #

what are those black cabinets with the white doors?

11. Tequila b August 16, 2011 at 8:17 am #

The office chair? where is it from? i must have it.

12. lisa August 16, 2011 at 8:20 am #

love it! where did you get the starburst on the wall and the rotary phone? i keep looking for one but can’t find one in good shape!

13. Mary August 16, 2011 at 8:28 am #

LOVE the wall color, and all of it, really. When did August get so big?!?

14. Christi August 16, 2011 at 8:35 am #

It looks fantastic! How on earth did you manage to hide your computer cables?

15. Kristin August 16, 2011 at 8:36 am #

It looks so beautiful, what a great place to spend the day working and playing!

16. Rebekah August 16, 2011 at 8:54 am #

Neat screen saver! Where can I find it?

• Hayley August 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm #

I’d like to know too – it’s funky!

• Making it Lovely August 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm #

You can grab it from Veer.

17. katie August 16, 2011 at 8:55 am #

So cute! Working from home can be lonely at times…having such a lovely space sure makes a difference! Great job.

18. Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d August 16, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I really love the new paint color. It it different than the rest of your home, but not so drastic that it doesn’t flow. I thought about a similar color for my office, but it was too washed out, so I chose a chocolate brown instead. I love it paired with tons of white: http://ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/a-finished-office/ I also love your more organized bookshelf. I don’t know if you store magazines in your office, but I love to keep mine organized by month: http://ourhumbleabowed.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/magazines-by-month/ It looks much cleaner and I can find them quicker.

19. muriam August 16, 2011 at 9:00 am #

can you post where you got the lamp and phone from? Love it!

20. Melanie @ Mailbox Journey August 16, 2011 at 9:03 am #

I love it, you did a really great job.

21. bethany August 16, 2011 at 9:04 am #

That looks lovely and calming!

22. Sarah August 16, 2011 at 9:05 am #

I love how your office turned out. I am especially loving the lamps on your desk and on the low cabinet unit. Where are they from?

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:48 am #

They were from Crate & Barrel (“Frida” lamps).

23. Senja August 16, 2011 at 9:11 am #

I love everything about it! It looks so warm and calm – really great! :)

One of my favourites are the chair and the decorations on the cabinet.

24. puck August 16, 2011 at 9:30 am #

I have the same Adler light in my living room. :)

25. Amber August 16, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Beautiful! Where are the kids table and chairs from?

26. MariaBen August 16, 2011 at 9:37 am #

i love your BLOG & i love your style…very inspiring…

27. Amanda August 16, 2011 at 10:05 am #

I love this room; the colour, the curtains. Glad you finally showed us! :D

28. Kristina August 16, 2011 at 10:10 am #

The wall color is fab! It seems to compliment the wallpaper in the dining room too, no?

PS: Still jealous of the mirror! Any clue where it can be found now?

29. Jules August 16, 2011 at 10:14 am #

It looks great, Nicole! I love how the office looks with the wallpaper in the dining room.

30. Dariela August 16, 2011 at 10:24 am #

Very pretty! You make everything so stylish and clean, I’m always learning, love it!

31. Mefi August 16, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Lovely!

32. Emily August 16, 2011 at 10:31 am #

Congrats! It looks perfect! It’s so warm and inviting I almost forgot it’s in your basement. :)

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:51 am #

No, this is a separate space. The studio is in the basement, but my office has always been on the main floor in what used to be one of the house’s original two bedrooms.

33. Erin August 16, 2011 at 10:38 am #

Such a great space! I could definitely work in there. :) I LOVE the color on the walls. We recently painted our master bedroom a similar color.

34. Jenny G. August 16, 2011 at 10:42 am #

LOVE it! I’ve got your rug bookmarked for someday in my house. I actually think that the pink chair looks amazing as-is in there! You’ve got a fantastic style mix of retro and modern. Come do my house? =)

35. NicoleD August 16, 2011 at 10:57 am #

Beautiful!! I love how it all came together :) I must pin that light fixture, so cool.

36. dawn August 16, 2011 at 11:23 am #

this looks absolutely amazing!!! super job nicole!

37. Stephanie August 16, 2011 at 11:59 am #

You always do an amazing job balancing a clean, functional space with personality. You truly have a gift for decorating. In love with your phone and those are my favorite Anthropologie knobs.

38. Rachelle August 16, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

Love the new office! And I really love that you worked with the color of the Eames chair. I am dying for one but my husband would never be ok with a pink office chair.

39. Jaclyn Van Den Berg August 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

ABSOLUTELY LOVELY! I may have missed it – but did you make that banner? If not – where did you get it? Also – Love the white owl … where is that from. Everything is picture perfect … great job!

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:52 am #

I wrote about the banner on Babble, and the owl is a vintage cookie jar from eBay.

40. Lauren August 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

Love it all! We have the light in our kitchen.

41. Tiffany August 16, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

I love everything about this office. It’s very inspiring.

42. jina August 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Are the kids’ table and chairs from Ikea as well? It’s all very cute.

43. Kahli August 16, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

This is all just very lovely! I really love that white ceramic owl too!

44. Rebecca @ beautiful square feet August 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Love the new office! Also love the wall colour with that rug! Good choice!

45. Miss B. August 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

So neat, wish my desktop on my computer was as organized. The color on the chart looks sagey but in your photos it looks more taupe either way you did a beautiful job as always!

46. Wrenaria August 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm #

Where did you get that adorable owl? I am pretty sure I NEED it.

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:55 am #

It’s a vintage cookie jar that I found on eBay.

47. Jenn August 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Absolutely love it! Where can I find the screensaver? Thanks!

48. Claudia August 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

Gosh, I love your owl. Is it vintage ? Haha, I see just that Wrenaria thougt the same.

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:56 am #

Yep, vintage. It says “PoppyTrail” on the bottom.

49. Peden August 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

This looks great! Very pretty – a little more grown-up, but still very fun.

I would love to know more about how you tidied up your cords!

• Making it Lovely August 17, 2011 at 8:57 am #

I wrote about tidying up the cords here. That’s an older post though, and they look even better now.

50. LisaInIllinois August 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Love everything about this space. I mixed leftover paint from various projects and actually created something very close to your wall color. It is in my guest bedroom and beautifully soothing.

1. Where Did You Get That? (Office Edition) | Making it Lovely - August 17, 2011

[...] answered the questions about where everything came from in my last office post, but I thought I’d put together a page with the sources for everything. Check it out here. [...]

2. Hello | - August 18, 2011

[...] happened to notice two office makeovers on the blogs and lets face if, offices need comfotable [...]

3. {Inspiration} Books on bookshelf design ideas » The Organised Housewife - October 7, 2011

[...] {image credit}  [...]

4. 30 Before Thirty | Making it Lovely - February 1, 2012

[...] drinking soda. (Done!)Lose 20 pounds. (Not drinking soda should help.) (Done!)Repaint my office. (Done!)Sew a dress for Eleanor. (Done!)Clean out the basement. (It’s getting scary down there.) [...]

5. My Office in Ladies’ Home Journal | Making it Lovely - July 5, 2012

[...] friendly reminder that sometimes things in magazines look fantastic from certain angles. Trickery!My office originally looked like this, and mostly does again, but maybe a little less photo-ready.Thanks again, Ladies’ Home [...]

6. Shelving it | Making it Lovely - October 16, 2012

[...] it October 16 Bookmark or Share 0 comments Every day (or nearly), I sit in my home office across from my Expedit shelves. Truthfully, I’m kind of over them.More truthfully though? [...]

7. Home Office Inspiration: Making it Lovely's Re-done Office - November 20, 2012

[...] home office inspiration involves quite a bit of pink: Making it Lovely’s Nicole Balch’s newly-designed home office! I love how tastefully and sweetly the colors are used, and how each wall, each vignette and [...]

8. 20 idee per condividere lo spazio con i bambini - Ideare casa - January 23, 2013

[...] Making it Lovely [...]

9. My Office, Reimagined | Making it Lovely - February 4, 2013

[...] I came across these floral curtains, and was instantly smitten. Same goes for the card catalog style dressers. So I started thinking about where I would use them, and I decided to put together an alternative version of my office. [...]

10. { Avant-Après } Un grand bureau féminin et organisé… - DecoCrush - March 25, 2013

[...] le bureau d’où Nicole Balch du très joli blog Making it Lovely nous livre ses conseils déco…Son bureau est splendide, très féminin mais aussi très [...]

11. Half Bath Makeover: Blah Beige to Tiffany Blue | cika - August 31, 2013

[…] Although a bit brighter and much more intensely aqua than I originally intended (I was hoping for something like this), the turquoise paint makes the space seem airier, fresher and newer.  It also complements the […]