I’m turning 40 this month (hooray!), so this is my *snap my fingers new wardrobe* birthday wish list. I don’t need any of it, but ooooh do I want it all.
I feel good about my age, and I don’t care much about birthdays, but I do miss feeling like I look nice. I stopped dyeing my hair sometime before Christmas, and I’ve liked seeing my hair change (I’ve had grays since I was 17 but have dyed off and on since I was 13 — every color but green and blue). I like the sparkly strands, but not the ombré of previously dyed hair that wants to go brassy. Coincidentally, that’s also around the last time I had a haircut and long hair is not for me. I’m not ready to go to a salon, and I know I’m picky enough with a professional haircut to not subject Brandon to my scrutiny of a home haircut. I figure I’ll let it grow until I can do a big chop and donate to a place that accepts dyed hair. Lots of crown braids and Gibson rolls in the meantime for me.
So it’s completely reasonable that while self-isolating during a pandemic in which I see only the people I live with, I just want to spend (adds up totals) oh, at least $2500 on pretty new things to wear? I want to look nice! It’s for my birthday. Let me pretend and be self-indulgent because after all, that’s what blogs are great for. I could be confined to my house for a milestone birthday in elegance.
- Prudence Buttondown, Anthropologie — Because as a sophisticated woman in my forties, surely what I’ll need is a sweet little blouse with a Peter Pan collar.
- Victorian Serpent Ring, Catbird — I still really want a ring that looks like a snake.
- Risa Puff-Sleeved Buttondown, Anthropologie — Pretty! Just so darn pretty.
- The Essential Slim Trousers, Anthropologie — I think I last bought these in 2016 and they’re still a favorite, but I’ve pretty much worn them out. (Wait, this may be too practical to be on the wish list.)
- Chloé Glasses (CE2739, Havana), Eyeconic — Maybe I secretly want to be the Spider-Verse version of Doc Ock?
- Plants and Cats Twilly Skinny Scarf, Centinelle — I am but a cliché of a woman. Plants and cats!
- Safari Shirtdress (Butter Gingham), Tucker — This shape for me is the most flattering, most comfortable, instantly put together.
- Linen-Blend Dolman-Sleeve Tie-Waist Midi Dress, Madewell — Every descriptive word in the name of this dress says it would be my favorite thing ever.
- Long Crossbody Strap (I Am a Voter), Clare V. — I don’t often wear t-shirts, so messages emblazoned across my chest are kinda out, but I can get behind this. (Because I would feel conspicuous in a sash.)
- Double Sac Bretelle (Tan), Clare V. — Just a simple but beautiful bag that goes with everything.
- Layla Heeled Shooties (Green), Anthropologie — I would wear the heck out of these.
- Nadine Slingback Heels (Dusky Rose), Boden — These too. Give me all the shoes with short block heels in great colors.