I’m turning 40 this month (hooray!), so this is my *snap my fingers new wardrobe* birthday wish list. I don’t need any of it, but ooooh do I want it all.
I feel good about my age, and I don’t care much about birthdays, but I do miss feeling like I look nice. I stopped dyeing my hair sometime before Christmas, and I’ve liked seeing my hair change (I’ve had grays since I was 17 but have dyed off and on since I was 13 — every color but green and blue). I like the sparkly strands, but not the ombré of previously dyed hair that wants to go brassy. Coincidentally, that’s also around the last time I had a haircut and long hair is not for me. I’m not ready to go to a salon, and I know I’m picky enough with a professional haircut to not subject Brandon to my scrutiny of a home haircut. I figure I’ll let it grow until I can do a big chop and donate to a place that accepts dyed hair. Lots of crown braids and Gibson rolls in the meantime for me.
So it’s completely reasonable that while self-isolating during a pandemic in which I see only the people I live with, I just want to spend (adds up totals) oh, at least $2500 on pretty new things to wear? I want to look nice! It’s for my birthday. Let me pretend and be self-indulgent because after all, that’s what blogs are great for. I could be confined to my house for a milestone birthday in elegance.
- Prudence Buttondown, Anthropologie — Because as a sophisticated woman in my forties, surely what I’ll need is a sweet little blouse with a Peter Pan collar.
- Victorian Serpent Ring, Catbird — I still really want a ring that looks like a snake.
- Risa Puff-Sleeved Buttondown, Anthropologie — Pretty! Just so darn pretty.
- The Essential Slim Trousers, Anthropologie — I think I last bought these in 2016 and they’re still a favorite, but I’ve pretty much worn them out. (Wait, this may be too practical to be on the wish list.)
- Chloé Glasses (CE2739, Havana), Eyeconic — Maybe I secretly want to be the Spider-Verse version of Doc Ock?
- Plants and Cats Twilly Skinny Scarf, Centinelle — I am but a cliché of a woman. Plants and cats!
- Safari Shirtdress (Butter Gingham), Tucker — This shape for me is the most flattering, most comfortable, instantly put together.
- Linen-Blend Dolman-Sleeve Tie-Waist Midi Dress, Madewell — Every descriptive word in the name of this dress says it would be my favorite thing ever.
- Long Crossbody Strap (I Am a Voter), Clare V. — I don’t often wear t-shirts, so messages emblazoned across my chest are kinda out, but I can get behind this. (Because I would feel conspicuous in a sash.)
- Double Sac Bretelle (Tan), Clare V. — Just a simple but beautiful bag that goes with everything.
- Layla Heeled Shooties (Green), Anthropologie — I would wear the heck out of these.
- Nadine Slingback Heels (Dusky Rose), Boden — These too. Give me all the shoes with short block heels in great colors.
Carol WestonSeptember 8, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Am laughing – I feel exactly the same. There is something about this time of year though, but for all those people who love autumn and winter and extol the virtues of the dark nights by cosy fires, no I do not share you’re enthusiasm!!! However the fashion tho – gets me excited! Jumpers, scarves, coats, bags and lovely new garments to layer up to my hearts content- now you’re talking!!! Someone pass the vitamin D please.
ArliSeptember 8, 2020 at 10:19 pm
Happy Birthday! Great picks. I hope you get one or more for this milestone celebration of you.
MaggieSeptember 8, 2020 at 11:51 pm
Happy birthday month!
Rebecca TrittelSeptember 9, 2020 at 8:13 am
It’s my birthday month as well (though I am turning 56) – happy birthday to you! Such a lovely list of items. As to your hair, I recently had mine all cut off (over 10 inches) and donated it to children with hair loss. They take dyed hair and are an actual charity (they do not charge the families for the wigs they create). Enjoy your birthday month and I hope you are able to get some of the lovely items on your list.
HeatherNovember 19, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Did you get the Clare V bag? I’m curious as to whether it’s big enough to hold a paperback AND a journal. Please advise.
Making it LovelyNovember 19, 2020 at 1:13 pm
I did not. I got a banjo ukulele!