The Finished Basement Studio and Play Room

I know, I know. I never really showed the basement after I finished it.

Basement Craft Studio

You’re already seen the laundry room and half-bathroom. The storage area has these shelves built, but since we decided (abruptly) to sell, it’s not looking so photo-ready in there. I’m assuming you’re not all that interested in it anyway though, as it really is just a bunch of storage.

Let’s see the parts you might actually want to see, yes? Here we go.

The basement has fairly high ceilings (for Oak Park, at least). We’ve never had any issues with flooding or seepage, even before we remodeled and finished it. The problem, I suppose, and the reason you haven’t seen “after” photos until now is that it’s not really finished the way I imagined it would be. It looks fine, but it’s far less Pinterest-y than it could have been. You know what I mean.

Basement Craft Studio

Basement Craft Studio

Dude. I know what you’re thinking. Where’s the bunting? The pom-pom everything? The framed Etsy prints? But don’t worry! It’s still plenty twee!

Basement Craft Studio

Basement Craft Studio

Basement Craft Studio

I kid, but I really was going to do a paint-by-numbers mural on the far play room wall. (Next house, perhaps, especially after seeing it in person at Camp Wandawega.)

Basement Craft Studio

We had a problem with one cat peeing on the rugs I tried to have in the space before. I don’t know why it started, but once it happened, it just kept on happening. We had to throw the rugs out. The striped rug that’s in the play room side is the one that I bought for August’s room and so far, it is unspoiled. (I’ll tell you a secret though. We only have it out when we’re going to be playing down there. Then it gets rolled up as a precaution.)

Basement Play Room

toys

Basement Play Room

Ta da! Finished.

p.s. Our house is for sale today. All official-like with an MLS listing and everything.

44 Responses to “The Finished Basement Studio and Play Room”

1. casacaudill June 7, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Once a cat starts peeing in a space, there is nothing you can do to stop it. I can’t tell you the number of rugs we’ve shampooed and then threw out. Right now Dakota has taken to using the bath mat as her soiling ground, and for that I am extremely grateful because those suckers are cheap compared to a beautiful 9×12 from Pottery Barn.

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

At least it’s confined to a bath mat, I guess, right? Luckily, we haven’t had any other spots destroyed by the cats.

2. Ashly June 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Looks great!

3. Sarah from a fine line June 7, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Super jealous of that laundry room. Mine is a dark closet. The whole basement looks great though, I hope to one day have such a fantastic workspace. I go back and forth on whether or not I want my daughter’s play room right next to my work space. It would be nice on the days that I don’t have childcare, but when I do have someone here to help me out, I prefer to shut the door and do my thing. What do you think, can you work while your kids are playing right there?

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:10 pm #

If I really need to get some work done, no, the kids can’t be underfoot. I need a door to shut. If it’s just crafting for fun, they can do their thing alongside me.

4. Mandy @ This Girl's Life June 7, 2013 at 2:34 pm #

It looks great! I love the painted floor and all of your IKEA storage. :) And what is it with cats peeing on things? Ugh…I’m relieved to know I’m not the only one with this problem.

5. Jen June 7, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Dude, I was waaaaaaaiting for the mural. Next house for sure, right? ;) Its pretty darn cute down there. You have so much space in the basement! Congrats on listing. It’ll be scooped up in no time!

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:11 pm #

The mural would have been so awesome! I’ll have to see if it would work in our next home for sure.

6. Gina | DistinctiveDesignByGina June 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

It is looking great! I love the elements of texture and the color palette is bright and cherry. Such a pretty shade of pale pink and it plays well off the green floors!

7. Brianne Heape June 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm #

For this to be an “incomplete” room, I’d be embarrassed to have you over for tea or dinner or anytime really. :) Love the set up and the studio aspect, I could go crazy in – even with out the pom-poms and bunting!

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:12 pm #

I’m not judgmental about other people’s spaces though — only my own.

• Lisa June 7, 2013 at 11:38 pm #

Isn’t it funny how that works? I’m the same way. I freak out if my own home isnt perfectly organized and clean, but I am completely comfortable at some else’s not as tidy home.

Your basement is lovely. I look forward to seeing you make your next home lovely too!

8. Amber June 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm #

I’ll forgive you the lack of bunting since I saw an ampersand, numbered bins, and a paper flower.

Thanks for sharing this space. You carved out a lot of functionality and made it look great, too.

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Yeah, I did at least cover some of the twee bases! The numbered bins help, eh?

9. lea June 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

What is twee? You’re allowed to be real on your own blog if you want. You don’t have to be “pinterest worthy.” As for the basement, it’s one of the best looking basements I’ve ever seen.

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

Twee is overly cutesy. It’s not exactly the most complimentary term!

• Lisa June 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm #

Thank you, I was going to ask it’s definition.

10. goosefairy June 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Man, if I lived in Chicago I’d be all over your house. It is wonderful.

11. Becca June 7, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

i have the same problem with not wanting to post pictures of my house until it looks like the picture in my head or on pinterest, but I’ve found that when I do it just make me a more real person instead of just a blog. I love your blog btw! It gives me so much inspiration! good luck on the sale!

12. Kim @ Yellow Brick Home June 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

Happy MLS listing day!

13. Susie June 7, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

How high are the ceilings down there? We’re thinking of doing our basement too.

• Making it Lovely June 7, 2013 at 10:51 pm #

7 feet almost everywhere, but 6-1/2 feet under some of the bulkhead and in the half-bath.

14. Brenda June 8, 2013 at 7:40 am #

Tis gives me great ideas for my own basement. Where are the storage cabinets under the window from?

15. Petite Peltier June 8, 2013 at 9:25 am #

It’s clean, organized and looks good, which is perfect if it’s on the market! I do a little bit of staging as a side business to my nursery designs and instead of really pulling the room together aesthetically, I try and make sure the space is organized and is functional, because thats all sellers are looking for. They just want to see, in comparison to what you have, what their furniture will look like in the space. Good luck and I hope it sells quickly!

16. Faith June 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

I love the floor!! Wow I am not a green person or a basement person but you have pulled both off perfectly!! I love the play area and it all seems to flow so well together..Fun and functional! Good luck with the sale I am sure it will get snapped up!

17. sarah June 8, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

You have a beautiful home with so much personality and charm. I am sure it will go quick! The basement is beautiful and functional…what a great place for mom and kids to play.
    Sarah

18. Julie K. June 10, 2013 at 7:42 am #

WOW! How big is your house if this is the basement? Stunning! I envy how much space you have, or have much space did you manage to create in the basement. Mine is just cluttered. I never thought it could look like this. Your house is going to sell itself in no time. Great job!

• Making it Lovely June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am #

Thanks! The house is just under 1600 sq ft, but that’s not including the basement, which adds another 600 or so.

19. MeaganS June 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

The floor is great! Did you guys just paint it?

20. Sandra at Debutante Clothing June 10, 2013 at 2:05 pm #

I love love love your studio! So clean and organized. I am trying to get my home office organized but the vintage, not in a good way according to my taste, wallpaper is making me procrastinate. Any tips on removing or painting over old wallpaper?

21. Cal June 11, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Where did you get that awesome yellow & brown and white vintage looking piece? I am in Luuurve with it.

• Making it Lovely June 11, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

The art? It’s a quilt that I put over stretcher bars. It was by Dream of Stars, but it seems they’re no longer in business.

22. JK June 11, 2013 at 10:07 pm #

Love it. Where can I find a white round table like that?

• Making it Lovely June 11, 2013 at 10:09 pm #

IKEA! It’s a “Docksta”, and the butcher-block cabinets (in case anyone was wondering) are from the Värde freestanding kitchen line.

• JK June 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it. I have been looking for a table just like that!!

23. Anna June 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

I found your home via Zillow and was so enchanted by it that I sent the link to one of your neighbors…who recognized your home from Apartment Therapy…and I may have cried a little. We are looking to move to OP in the next year, but aren’t in the position to at the moment. Any way I can offer you a lifetime supply of free photography to wait until 2014? ;). (I’m a lifestyle photographer.). I agree that your house will be snatched up in no time. And I’m with everyone else–especially with two littles (as I have), it’s difficult to make stay Pinterest-worthy worthy for long. I think you did a beautiful job with it!

24. Reciana June 14, 2013 at 9:39 am #

This is such a lovely space, you’ve made it look absolutely lovely – great job! I’m really tempted to renovate my basement now too! How long did it take overall?

• Making it Lovely June 16, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

It took four months, start to finish. It was all done over the holidays though (November through February), so that slowed down the schedule a bit.

25. alison June 28, 2013 at 11:18 am #

this looks so lovely! in all ways. is that wrought iron (or wrought-iron-looking) kids table + chairs set new? i’m in the market for a round kids table and want something not bulky (read: not full of wood). advice? searching ebay, craig’s list, etc.

• Making it Lovely June 28, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

The metal play table and chairs were from IKEA, but I don’t think they carry the same set anymore.

• alison June 28, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

of course, IKEA! the hunt continues. thanks for getting back to me!

1. Pinterest Decor BINGO | Sugar Sugar House - June 7, 2013

[…] was inspired by this post. The author, with tongue-in-cheek, apologized for her lovely basement re-do not being […]

2. Pink Loves Brown, Closing Up Shop | Making it Lovely - July 18, 2013

[…] We finished the basement with the intention of moving my studio down there (along with creating the laundry room, play room, and storage space). We did move everything downstairs, but only utilized the space for personal use. There are only so many hours in a day. The time I devote to work, time away from Brandon and the kids, needs to be spent as productively as possible. That meant letting the shop go and closing that chapter. I know it’s not a surprise, and that I should have come to this point much sooner, but here we are. […]