The Victorian House: Entryway, Double Parlor, and Dining Room

Let’s just get this out of the way: I have no plans to paint the woodwork in the house. I know that I have become notorious for painting wood because I did it to the trim in my last house, but that wood was awful. This wood is not.

Onward! Pictures of the house! Here is the front entryway.

Entryway

Entryway

Stairs, Entryway and Coat Rack

I KNOW. We’re still pinching ourselves.

To the left of the entry is the first parlor. Hello, charming curved windows!

First Parlor

The pocket doors between the first and second parlor mostly work. I imagine they’ll be open most of the time though.

Pocket Doors Between the Two Parlors

Continuing on, to the second parlor. We have a fireplace! I’ve never lived in a house with a fireplace before.

Fireplace in the Second Parlor

The Second Parlor

Another pocket door that almost closes all the way. (Not bad for a house from 1891.)

Fireplace and Pocket Door

The dining room is on the other side. The beams are not original, but they were well-matched to the existing honey oak trim. The freestanding breakfront wasn’t going to be included with the house, but the sellers felt it should stay and surprised us by leaving it.

Dining Room with Beamed Ceilings

Here’s the dining room, looking back toward the entry. The door on the left is a coat closet, beneath the stairs. You can refer to the partial floor plan I shared yesterday and everything should make sense.

Dining Room

The white walls are such a beautiful blank slate. I have a million ideas for the house, but our furniture won’t be coming until Friday and I want to see how everything starts to come together before making paint/wallpaper decisions.

Tomorrow, I’ll share the rest of the first floor. Wallpaper ahoy!

118 Responses to “The Victorian House: Entryway, Double Parlor, and Dining Room”

1. Jeanne Cameron Washburn August 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm #

The house is just magical…it is sitting poised, waiting for your special sprinkling of fairy dust – the photos took my breath away! Congratulations!

2. Juliane at Modern Mural August 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

It’s absolutely romantic. I’m excited to see where you take this house with its white walls. Wallpaper? Art? New paint colors? I’m sure it’s going to be amazing.

3. Cristina August 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

I am so excited to see what you do with this house! Congrats!!

4. MamaBear August 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Your new home is beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous! I can’t wait to see how you personalize it. I know it will be fantastic! Congratulations!!

5. Lori August 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

What a thrill! I am so looking forward to you making this house even more lovely.

6. alisa from ca August 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

I absolutely LOVE the house. Once in a blue moon would you come across something this old and beautiful where we live (picture 1950′s california).

Just wanted to tell you we worked on our pocket door last weekend. It was stuck for ever, someone finally got it unstuck, and then hubs finally pulled off just one piece of the moulding to get into the track. Once he did, it was easy to repair without even having to take the door out. Just put another coat of fun color on it (yay for quirky accents!) and it is now a working door, and we love it.

Just wanted to say that I could easily see Brandon being able to fix those doors. If my hubs can do it…

7. Tina@TravelingMama August 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

I am so excited for you guys that I can barely stand it! Moving in is so much fun and I cannot wait to see what you do with your gorgeous new home!

8. La rapporteuse August 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Wow, that’s going to be a nice playground for you! Can’t wait to see how you’re going to transform this place.

9. Amanda August 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Gorgeous! So happy for you guys and excited to watch the transformation from dream house to home.

10. Jessica August 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Beautiful! And even with so much wood, it looks bright and airy and lovely! Enjoy!

11. Marcee August 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

Fantastic & marvelous ….. ! All good things for sure Nicole. Your lives will change and be different with the personality of this fabulous home. It happened to us! Hopefully you will not be too overwhelmed with so many things on the agenda.

Best of & enjoy!

12. Janet August 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm #

Oh yeah. This is going to be fun to watch! Beautiful home, congrats.

13. Sava August 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

We have two staircases! I’m stealing the Huxtables line. But seriously, who has two staircases in a 1950s ranch (with basement)?

Lovely house, I always dreamed of living in a Victorian, but they are very rare on the West Coast. *Sigh*

14. Ronda August 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Wow! So beautiful! Cannot wait to see what you guys do to the place, it is just beautiful!

15. Yvonne / Yvestown August 26, 2013 at 3:14 pm #

Your new home is amazingly beautiful. Many congratulations you’ll turn it even more beautiful with all your magic.

16. Holly August 26, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

What a beautiful house! The entryway is especially stunning. I can’t wait to read more about your plans.

17. Shelly kennedy August 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

It’s so gorgeous! Congrats!

You are in the Chicago area- no?
    I’m curious what area- I lived there for 10 yrs-
    Many different neighborhoods- I feel like I’ve seen this house!

We purchased an 1896 farmhouse last yr
    Full of beautiful woodwork (unpainted)
    I don’t have the heart to paint it either- but it really
    Does make decorating a challenge!

Can’t wait to see your progress!
    Shell

18. patricia August 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm #

You guys, this is a dream house! I’m in love! Welcome home darlings!

19. Megan @ Two Live Colorfully August 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

So so so gorgeous! I’m dying over here!!!

Nicole, I cannot even friggin’ wait to see what you guys do with this house!!! Ahh! :)

20. Lucy August 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

Oh my! You’re living my dream. This place is gorgeous! Even I wouldn’t paint those stairs and the wood paneling. It’s perfect!

21. Josephine August 26, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Sweet Georgia Brown! I have to admit Nicole, I was a bit surprised when you announced you were leaving your old house, but… Mother of Pearl!!! What a glorious home you’ve landed! I could just keep going with the exclamations, but I’ll just say I can’t wait to see what happens next. Thanks for sharing :)

22. RebeccaNYC August 26, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

What you have here is what we call a bona-fide MANSION! So beautiful, and I can’t wait to see what you are going to do with it! Thank goodness you are not planning on painting wood…because there is just so much of it! Congrats!!!

23. Natalie August 26, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

It’s SO beautiful ~ congrats! :)

24. Karen August 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

Words cannot express my jealousy! That house and that woodwork is beyond gorgeous, congrats!!

25. Meredith August 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm #

Lovely! I grew up in a house with pocket doors…my parents found them useful if they were meeting with someone and needed to be able to keep my sister and me close, but with our own space. They also came in handy for adult & kid get togethers when we were a little older – the adults got one room, the kids got the other and all were content!

26. Robin August 26, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Congratulations!! This is absolutely gorgeous. Nice work!

27. Lauren August 26, 2013 at 10:38 pm #

It’s gorgeous! I can’t wait to see what you do with it! Congrats to y’all!

28. Laura @ the shorehouse August 27, 2013 at 12:15 am #

This is ammmaaazzzinngg! I’d be pinching myself, too. :-) A huge congratulations and I’m so excited to follow you on another house journey!!

29. Lesley staples-Sturge August 27, 2013 at 3:54 am #

Wow! What a beautiful place. I would be pinching myself also. Congrats.

30. Rach August 27, 2013 at 4:21 am #

Oh my! So much detail in that wood. It would have been a total nightmare to paint any way. You guys will love this place!

31. KarenAnita August 27, 2013 at 5:21 am #

What an absolutely stunning house! Can’t wait to see what you do with it x

32. Alex - Hydrangea Girl August 27, 2013 at 5:25 am #

Oh my god your new home is my absolute dream. I can’t even look directly at it, that’s how insanely romantic it is.

xx A

p.s. Is that a plug socket on the floor in the hallway? I adore silly details like that.

• Making it Lovely August 27, 2013 at 9:58 am #

It is! I might swap out the sockets and plate for something that blends with the floor, but I like that it’s there. :)

33. Jessee Maloney August 27, 2013 at 6:48 am #

When I just saw the first photo and then the second I smiled and then when I saw the floor plan I squealed!! This is almost the exact same floor plan and even woodworking as the house I spent most of my childhood in! We even had the second set of stairs in the back!!!
    I’m even more excited now to see how you decorate it!!!
    Congrats on this new gorgeous home btw!!

34. Christine August 27, 2013 at 8:45 am #

Ahh! I am so giddy about this amazing house. I can’t believe you live here!!

35. Lara August 27, 2013 at 9:36 am #

Oh my, she’s gorgeous! It’s like your very own dollhouse:) Looking forward to seeing the many wonderful rooms transformed by your magic touch. Congratulations to you and your family on your lovely home.

36. Meghan August 27, 2013 at 11:33 am #

I can’t wait to see what wall colours you use with your natural woodwork. We just moved into an older home with the wood trim as well, and I’ve been looking for some inspiration :)

37. decor8 holly August 27, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

Nicole your home screams YOU already. It’s so YOU and you’ve not even touched it. I can’t wait to see how you decorate it all and what choices you make. Will you leave the brown woodwork? I see your home and dream of owning my own someday but we’ve had a very hard time finding one here that isn’t around $1M and I’m not even being that picky. We could move into the country or a village and get a giant home for $200K-500K but I love living in the city. It’s really going to be hard for me to eventually make a choice so for now, I’m just going to have my baby, work REALLY hard and save save save as much as I can so I can also realize my dream someday. CONGRATS on everything! You are such an inspiration as a breadwinner and mom!
    xo
    Holly

38. Miss Charming August 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm #

Such a gorgeous home! Congrats on finding this gem!

39. Violet August 28, 2013 at 5:26 am #

It’s ridiculous how excited I am for you and happy to see these pics. I can’t wait to see what you do to this place. I bet christmas there is going to be magical!

40. Laura August 28, 2013 at 1:53 pm #

Nicole, is the fireplace original? I can visualize your family enjoying it during cold winter days!

I love seeing the inside of such a gorgeous Victorian home, one that has been lived in and is not just a museum piece. It is amazing that shoddy “updates” haven’t been done over the years; it looks authentic. Absolutely gorgeous woodwork and doors. I cannot wait to see what you will do with this striking home.

41. Melissa de la Fuente August 29, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

So happy for you that you found a house that you adore! We found and bought our Victorian 4 years ago ( 1898) and I love all of our old gal’s character and beauty. Our pockets doors are almost always open so, don’t worry about those “almost working” ones! :) Can’t wait to see what you do with it! So exciting!
    xo
    Melissa

42. Heather Nolting August 30, 2013 at 8:57 am #

I am so happy this beautiful home is in your hands! It will be exciting to see what you do with it.

43. Vivian September 11, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

Oh my goodness. This house is amazing. I am in love!! And so excited about all the things / posts you will be doing for your new home. Congrats!

1. The Victorian House: The Second Floor Bedrooms | Making it Lovely - August 28, 2013

[…] Up the stairs… […]

2. The Victorian House: Third Floor | Making it Lovely - September 4, 2013

[…] seen the first and second floors of the Victorian, and the basement, too. Today, we’re heading up to the […]

3. Choosing an Entryway Console | Making it Lovely - December 2, 2013

[…] hats, and scarves are taking over our dining room chairs and table. It’s getting cold out and the dining room is the next space beyond our entryway, so everything is landing there. I’ve been planning to add some storage in the entry, below […]

4. Choosing Storage for the Entryway | Making it Lovely - December 2, 2013

5. The Entryway (Again), with its New (Old) Runner | Making it Lovely - January 31, 2014

[…] Can you imagine how awesome it’s going to be when the weather gets nicer, and we can have the front door open with a view of the pretty Victorian screen door? […]